Bipolar med free?? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 03-23-2013, 06:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I have been medicated consistently for seven years. I would say to mostly good success. I haven't killed myself, eh. The last six months I have seen the GREATEST improvement by drastically changing my diet. I need and desire to cease taking medication. The 'need' being, way too expensive. Out of pocket my meds are over 2K. For real. I have insurance but it could end any day (long story...) and my employment doesn't offer Rx benefits. I have had to pay out of pocket for my meds on a couple of occasions and I still haven't paid that off yet. I have talked to my pdoc about this situation. The alternative is taking old school meds with terrible side effects. I know, I have taken them before. Il do not want to have tremors, a weird gate, sexual problems, monthly blood tests (to what cost!!), extreme weight gain, etc. No way. I speak from experience. The 'desire' being, I am scared of what these meds are going to do to my body long term. There isn't any studies from what I have found which backs up my pdoc's answers to those questions. It's scary business and I prefer to take a more natural approach. 

Does anyone have experience dealing with this mental disorder without medication and what other alternative therapy do you use? I am in the very beginning stages of research. I want to educate myself before I talk to my pdoc -- better to not shoot from the hip emotionally without anything to back it up, in my way of thinking. 

TIA

There are three things I learned about life. It goes on. -Longfellow

stillheart.gifRIP DH DJ Delicious but mucho gracias for our children and all I have learnedstillheart.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 03-27-2013, 07:06 AM
Administrator

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)

I have similar concerns for my brother who is on meds for bipolar and wish he could address it more holistically. Just posting to let you know you're not alone. :)

#3 of 4 Old 03-30-2013, 07:01 PM - Thread Starter

Thank yousmile.gif  I have found a naturopathic doctor in my small city. The cost for her services is quite steep. I very much want to meet with her, however, the initial fee is $300 and I just can't swing that right now or, much to my misfortune, in the near future. My son needs a new bike (we're a big biking family) and he needs camping equipment for backcountry camping trips planned this summer with my partner. I am going to have to wrangle up the money some how.....when there's a will, there's a way, right? winky.gif In the mean time I am clean living and mostly feeling great. I am currently still taking my medication and have meds for one more month in my home.

There are three things I learned about life. It goes on. -Longfellow

stillheart.gifRIP DH DJ Delicious but mucho gracias for our children and all I have learnedstillheart.gif

#4 of 4 Old 04-04-2013, 04:05 PM

Hi,

I am looking for the same thing.  I don't have any answers or info but thought you would be interested in this site and research  http://curetogether.com/blog/2012/02/15/bipolar-managed-best-without-drugs-227-patients-report/

Good Luck and let me know if you find any answers!

I have boys! My first baby boy was born 10/08 and my second baby boy was born 7/12

Tags
Mental Health

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page