I am so bloody exhausted all the time! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 04-02-2013, 05:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I just can't live like this much longer. I have to get real with my pdoc. I sleep, on average, fifteen hours a day. No joke. Obviously, it is affecting my life. I have zero energy. It must be my meds. My diet is super clean and I abstain from meat, eggs and dairy. I drink lots of water. I get the morning sunshine. I take a multi-vitamin and a large dose of Vitamin D and B12. It has to be my meds, right? I am on quite the heavy cocktail of an antipsychotic and a mood stabilizer. I have lived, more or less, like this for years. My diet used to be pretty terrible (albeit delicious) so I used to blame my tiredness on that. When I have talked to my pdoc about my energy she prescribes antidepressants, but I'm not depressed. I am just so tired. The AD make it worse. I am saving up to see a ND. I want off these meds, but in the mean time I am going to have to continue to see my pdoc drug dealer because she's covered under my insurance. OY! I don't know how to deal with this; if given my druthers I would sleep all day and night. Sometimes I have bouts of energy and I get my bread baking done in one go and in the freezer. Anyone else ever been in a similar situation?

There are three things I learned about life. It goes on. -Longfellow

stillheart.gifRIP DH DJ Delicious but mucho gracias for our children and all I have learnedstillheart.gif

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 10 Old 04-02-2013, 06:16 PM

It might be your diet.  B12 is notoriously poorly absorbed as a supplement.  Also, if you're taking a vegan Vitamin D2 that's poorly absorbed as well.

If I were you I would try adding a bit of high quality animal foods back into your diet, like free-range local eggs, raw milk, or select organ meats from pastured animals.  I know that adding those things to my diet did a world of good when I was a vegan and feeling very run down.

SAHM to DS BuggaBoo blahblah.gif  12/07, and DD Doozer energy.gif03/10.  Sharing life with The Hubby since 01/05.

#3 of 10 Old 04-03-2013, 01:01 PM - Thread Starter

I may consider adding those above to my diet, but it's tough for me because I abstain from animal protein for ethical reasons.

There are three things I learned about life. It goes on. -Longfellow

stillheart.gifRIP DH DJ Delicious but mucho gracias for our children and all I have learnedstillheart.gif

#4 of 10 Old 04-03-2013, 06:22 PM

I totally understand, I've BT, DT.  It was really hard, but it did help me.  Just my $0.02.

SAHM to DS BuggaBoo blahblah.gif  12/07, and DD Doozer energy.gif03/10.  Sharing life with The Hubby since 01/05.

#5 of 10 Old 06-14-2013, 08:01 AM

I'm going through the same thing.  I know it's the meds and it's really hard.  Mid-day I get soooo tired that if I don't make myself take a rest, I feel sick to my stomach.  I went to the dr to get blood work done to see if it could be anything else, but it isn't.  I guess it's a sacrifice I have to make because these meds are working so well otherwise.

Single Mom with a BF  stillheart.gif  Mommy to 2 girlsphotosmile2.gif blahblah.gif & 2 boys jog.gifsuperhero.gif nocirc.gif

wash.gif banghead.gif Using the Law of Attraction candle.gif om.gif Loving my Family  cat.gif 

#6 of 10 Old 06-19-2013, 02:13 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)

Totally the meds. It's rough.

I went through 8 different kinds of meds (for anxiety, depression) before I finally found one that allowed me to function and not feel like sleeping all the time. SSRI's were the worst! I am best with Cymbalta, which is an SNRI but then I noticed that even that was making it really hard for me to wake up in the mornings. So a year ago I added wellbutrin and I feel normal and human. Ask about wellbutrin. It gave me a good boost and really countered the sleepiness.

I know meds seem so unnatural, but there was no way I could have gotten myself out of that hole without the meds. I am so grateful that we live in a place and age in which these are available.

Good luck!

#7 of 10 Old 07-13-2013, 10:42 AM
A&A

Quoted: 8 Post(s)

Have you had your thyroid tested?

"Our task is not to see the future, but to enable it."
#8 of 10 Old 07-13-2013, 01:30 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Probably the meds, but get your thyroid checked, too. SSRIs make me drop dead tired.

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

#9 of 10 Old 09-22-2013, 08:59 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)

I'm in the same boat - v. low on energy. I have been trying to exercise to get some energy but it's really negligible amts. I watched Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead earlier this year and since have been wanting to go on a planned juice fast but haven't got a chance. I recommend the movie if you haven't seen it.

Cheerfulness enables us to remember no problem lasts forever ~ Unknown
#10 of 10 Old 10-24-2013, 10:46 AM

How are you doing?  Any improvement?  As a few others have suggested, a thyroid check would be something to consider.

I also used to be fatigued.  Turned out I had anemia from not being able to properly absorb nutrients....and gluten was the culprit.  As soon as I removed gluten from my diet (and dairy and eggs), things improved dramatically.  I do have to supplement with iron...and I know you won't like this but I take heme iron.  Since you are vegan and if you are anemic, you would need to really increase your non-heme iron intake.

Tags
Mental Health

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page