Post-partum and premenstrual dysphoric disorder - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 04-14-2013, 11:46 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)

I was a total mess after my son was born.   I was unable able to sleep and got maybe 7 hours total the first 2 weeks post-partum.  I was completely wired with worry??  I stopped eating and the thought of food made me nauseated.  I was crying a lot and very irritable.  I wanted to run away and I resented my son/wanted nothing to do with him.  I had intrusive thoughts of being scared I would "shake the baby" and getting in a car wreck.  God, those "Never shake a baby" seemed like they were every where!  I would have been hospitalized if this would have continued.  My ob prescribed ambien and zoloft (did not take); I also stopped breastfeeding so I could sleep (don't hate!).  Inadequate sleep causes complete ruin of my mood and I am so mean the next day. 

I know the drastic change in hormones triggered much of my mood problems.  Yet, I am curious if anyone with mood problems had a birth with and without an epidural.  Did you see a difference in terms of your mood afterward?  I had demerol once and had an epidural for 2.5 hours with the birth of my son.  I know antidepressants, alcohol, caffeine and narcotics (like Vicodin) make me jittery then depressed.  I plan to have a doula next time and go to an alternative birth center.  I'm scared this will happen again.  I really want to breastfeed my next child but know maintaining my mental health is vital.

Anyone relate to my story? 

broc1.gifcarrot.gif

#2 of 4 Old 04-18-2013, 05:09 PM

Thanks for posting, you posted on a thread I started and just checked this out. I've been thinking this is some of what my issue is too. I just didn't want to admit it I guess? THough, I do have hormonal imbalances as well, just got all those tests back. So IMO the thyroid,adrenal, and bipolar issues all aggrevate each other making my symptoms so much worse than ever.

I did not, like you, experience PPD symptoms, as it seems you had. I did have a home, drug free, complication free birth both times. My symptoms did come on stronger after not sleeping much as time went on (neither child has slept well, and nursed round the clock).

Keep in mind that it's believed tests don't reveal adrenal/thyroid functions well at all and many diagnose based on symptoms alone. So you might be struggling at that end too.

I would advise to make sure you encapsulate your placenta (I think that's what helped me so much both times), eat lots (don't worry about what they say about staying away from carbs or grains or whatever, just EAT!), and get help for sleeping. I also get agitated and symptoms worse when tired, if you can come up with a plan, like DH helping at night or letting you sleep in...that would make a HUGE difference. I know what you mean about the energy, unable to sleep or eat (funny I never until now associated any of this with a bipolar issue, I just thought I have a type a personality that leads to stress!). What really helps (acutely, not long term necessarily) is marijuana. I don't know about the legalities of it in your state, but it will give you an appetite and help you sleep like a baby. It's been a lifesaver to me!

Also looking into a PP doula who has experience w/PPD might help in case.

Lovin my boys jumpers.gifDH, DS1 (4/7/10), and DS2 (2/19/12)...and - surprise! - another on the way
#3 of 4 Old 06-13-2013, 05:09 AM - Thread Starter

Change of diagnosis!  I have been tracking my moods and my deep dark depression correlates with ovulation and the start of my period.  I have a period of normal mood to slightly depressed mood once my period stops.  The doctor thinks it is more of premenstrual exacerbation (making my mild depression worse).  There is also premenstural dysphoric disorder but since I have mild depression underlying, they call it PME instead..  My irritability has been tracked too and seems to correlate with anxiety.

I am going off Lamictal, started Nuvaring continuously (no period) and will be starting a different anti-depressant/mood stabilizer once we see how I am without meds for a month.  

I wanted to update!

broc1.gifcarrot.gif

#4 of 4 Old 06-13-2013, 05:15 AM - Thread Starter

marijuana makes me paranoid!  a no go there!  :)

broc1.gifcarrot.gif

Tags
Mental Health

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page