I need a pep talk - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 06-18-2013, 04:46 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)

I have been feeling SO DOWN lately, mired down, bogged down, and just plain down down.  I'm tired of "mom-ing", and tired of the low level chronic issues with my DD's dad.  I'm tired of my DD's constant talking, and tired of going back and forth over whether or not to put her in preschool.  I'm tired of our house being full of clutter, and tired of having no personal space, and tired of feeling like I have no room for myself.  And then, on top of it all, I've suddenly found myself in a weird existential crisis where I've developed these really depressing post-modern type beliefs about the nature of reality, so now I can't even find a point to anything!!!  I'm tired all the time, I can't lose weight, I have no self-control, I always feel kind of lazy and ashamed of myself, I feel simultaneously like I deserve to rest and like the only way to change my life is to DO stuff, and - GAH! 

Okay, thank you.  I had to get that out.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 11 Old 06-18-2013, 05:48 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Girl, you need a vacation!

I'm sorry you are in a funk. I think "action" will help, like clearing one area of clutter every day, but also rest is very important. Sounds like preschool for the kiddo might be good too. It will give you a much needed break.

Is there something you were once passionate about that has gone by the wayside? Something that is just yours? What about exercise? I know, I know... But it can really work wonders for the mood...

Last but not least... Is there any chance you may have some kind of thyroid or other hormonal thing going on? When my thyroid went wacko I gained a bunch of weight, could not get it off, ended up with chronic pain and was depressed. I didn't know what was happening to me but my motivation for life was shot. Hormones can do crazy things.

I hope things get better for you. Good luck!!!!

Wife to one amazing husband superhero.gif, SAHM to DS bouncy.gif 10/09, DS babyboy.gif 10/19,  one furbaby dog2.gif, and lots of chicken3.gif!

joy.gif

#3 of 11 Old 06-20-2013, 08:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)

Dalia, thank you.  That was a perfect pep talk.  I DO need a vacation :)  I can't stop thinking about what I could do with a whole week alone in this house.  And it would be so quiet!  Ahhhhhh..... My DD is going to a camp this summer 2 mornings a week for all of July, so it will be like a preschool test-run.  Hopefully I'll be able to stop feeling so conflicted about it and just make a decision. 

Passions that have gone by the wayside....I think that's a big part of the problem.  I feel like my ability to be passionate about anything is what's gone by the wayside, so it's very very hard to pick anything up and make time for it.  I have been trying to exercise a big more, and it's helpful.  I think the one thing I could easily take back into my life is playing the piano, but...we don't have one :( 

And yes, there is definitely a chance that there's something medical going on.  I'm getting around to seeing a doctor, and I really find myself hoping that they find something.  I've been struggling with hypoglycemia and suddenly having mid-cycle spotting, in addition to all the dispassion and mood issues. 

I was just feeling so overwhelmed this past week, like all the problems of my life were rushing at me at once.  I'm feeling a bit better now.  Thanks again for your response. 

#4 of 11 Old 06-20-2013, 10:29 PM

I totally had mid cycle spotting and crazy periods when my thyroid went wacky. If you can see a naturopath they are very good at identifying thyroid problems, in my experience better than regular docs. I know, because I saw five docs before I finally went to a naturopath. Each one I told that I thought it was my thyroid but they said I was normal. The naturopath knew I had a thyroid issue right away.

There may be a place you can go and practice piano. It could be another excuse to get out of the house! Also, look for pianos in craigslist. A lot of times people just want them gone and will give them away if someone can move it!!

Good luck. :-) I'm glad you are feeling better!!!

Wife to one amazing husband superhero.gif, SAHM to DS bouncy.gif 10/09, DS babyboy.gif 10/19,  one furbaby dog2.gif, and lots of chicken3.gif!

joy.gif

#5 of 11 Old 06-23-2013, 07:31 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)

Do you feel good about the preschool you would send her to?

If you like it and feel that it is a good place I would say just go for it.

I am putting my ds (same age as yours I think) in preschool in the fall- just 2 or three mornings- and I am looking forward to it! I also have not lost weight since having ds and look forward to some hours of the week to myself to exercise and other things.

I think at this age it is also good for them to start to enter more into the community some, as a good preschool can provide. As long as they can still be home a lot I think part time preschool can be a good thing.

#6 of 11 Old 06-23-2013, 07:36 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I could have written a very similar post and i also recently started having mid-cycle bleeding! I'm about to see a doctor about it, but it sounds like its a thyroid issue. Daria, what kind of treatment did your naturopath recommend?
#7 of 11 Old 06-23-2013, 10:15 PM

I am on levoxyl and a T3 pill (long name that I don't have memorized). But if I had it to do over again I would try a more natural approach, possibly armour thyroid. I have Hashimotos, which is a different animal than just hypothyroidism. Either way I would have the antibody tests done to check for autoimmune thyroid issues. Untreated thyroid problems really do make you depressed and feel numb. You lose motivation and your body can get inflamed pretty easy. You gain weight but feel like you have to eat more to feel better, usually caffeine and sugar cravings! You just feel yucky but can't really pinpoint why or what it is..

joy.gif

#8 of 11 Old 06-24-2013, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalia View Post

I am on levoxyl and a T3 pill (long name that I don't have memorized). But if I had it to do over again I would try a more natural approach, possibly armour thyroid. I have Hashimotos, which is a different animal than just hypothyroidism. Either way I would have the antibody tests done to check for autoimmune thyroid issues. Untreated thyroid problems really do make you depressed and feel numb. You lose motivation and your body can get inflamed pretty easy. You gain weight but feel like you have to eat more to feel better, usually caffeine and sugar cravings! You just feel yucky but can't really pinpoint why or what it is..

I just spent an hour this evening reading all about hypothyroidism. Reading about the possible symptoms i only have a few, but its probably still worth getting checked. Do i need to specifically ask for the antibody tests or will that happen automatically when they check my thyroid? Also, i get why you'd prefer armour thyroid--after reading about it i see how its preferable to other thyroid meds. Oh, and i meant to say dalia, not daria lol.
#9 of 11 Old 06-24-2013, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrimordialMind View Post

I just spent an hour this evening reading all about hypothyroidism. Reading about the possible symptoms i only have a few, but its probably still worth getting checked. Do i need to specifically ask for the antibody tests or will that happen automatically when they check my thyroid? Also, i get why you'd prefer armour thyroid--after reading about it i see how its preferable to other thyroid meds. Oh, and i meant to say dalia, not daria lol.

LOL that's okay. I get called that all the time! Yes I would ask specifically for the antibodies test. If I would have done that sooner I would have save myself a lot of suffering! Many docs won't test unless you ask. Try and find a doc that is known to be progressive and knowledgeable about thyroid issues. It is so important. So many docs don't know how to deal with it (and they don't know that they don't know) it took me three years just to get on thyroid meds and five years just to get diagnosed with Hashimotos!!! I suffered a lot. Everyone wanted to put me on antidepressants but I was like, "I'm not depressed, I'm sick!!"

joy.gif

#10 of 11 Old 06-24-2013, 07:15 AM

I'm also living with Hashimotos/hypothyroid, I have been since I was a child. I've managed it pretty well the last few years with meds (Synthroid) and a few diet changes. When my hormones have been a bit off I've had funks like you've described: depressed, high anxiety, weight gain, sluggishness. Periods come sooner, last longer & are heavier leading to lower iron levels to dangerous levels.

Have you considered that you might be anemic? You mention spotting between periods, this may be altering you iron levels. Consider taking iron suppliments, a multivitamin with iron or adding high iron foods to your diet and see if you notice a difference in your energy levels. It may help (even if your issues are not thyroid related).
#11 of 11 Old 07-13-2013, 10:40 AM
A&A

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dalia View Post

Thank you for posting this.  I also have Hashimotos and it's so hard to get my blood levels regulated and it really does suck.  I see an endo, but I'll have to see if there is a naturopath in my area.

"Our task is not to see the future, but to enable it."

Tags
Mental Health

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page