Help me please - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 06-23-2013, 03:26 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I don't know if this is normal after giving birth or its just me ..
I came home with my healthy baby boy on the 21st .
Labor went so good . I was only in labor for 3 hours and only pushes for 10 mins. This is my first child .
Ever since I came home I started having some vivid dreams .
When I start dozing off I start seeing things and hear things , last night I was seeing number and people everytime I blinked and when I finally fall asleep I start feeling like I'm vibrating . But the dream always takes place in the room I'm in and is the same way in the dream . Let me just tell you last nights dream which is the worst of them all . So I went to bed with the baby around 3 only slept an hour because I'm a new mom and I'm checking on him every time I hear a little noise . Well luckily I have a very helpful supportive mom who came in and told me to go into her room as go to bed with her gf (randi) and she will sleep in my room with the baby . So I did. I laid down and started feeling so tired . I was looking around the room and saw numbers and people on the walls so I knew I was very tired so I drift off...
My dream -
My mom came in yelling at me because she said I called her while in the other room talking about having sex with my boyfriend . I sat up in the bed (room looked the same dark from being night and everything ) and was crying saying i have been asleep and I turned to randi asking when I said that and she said idk so I just laid back down . And "fell asleep again" (that didn't really happen but it felt so real " then I turned over and saw this old man standing by the closet and I turned to randi and asked if she sees him and she said no and I said well he's very nice and all of a sudden he grabbed me an I could feel it and I reached for randi and said "randi wake me up wake me up help me help me please" and she didn't and I was vibrating and could feel him on me and heard this high pitch noise that they play in scary movies and finally snapped out of it and actually woke up and started bawling and woke up randi and was crying to her .
I don't know why I have been having dreams like this . I feel weird in the dream can feel everything I hallucinate before sleep and then vibrate and shake . I'm so scared to go back to sleep but in so tired .
Idk what's going on help me please . This all started after i came home from the hospital ...
#2 of 6 Old 06-23-2013, 06:00 AM

I'm sorry to hear that you're going through this - it sounds very scary. Did you have any medications in the hospital that you might be having a reaction to? Are you having any hallucinations or thoughts that don't seem "real" when you are awake during the day?

Fledgling midwife on hiatus, Wife to B, mama to C (c/s ribboncesarean.gif 12/04) and S hbac.gif (12/07), angel3.gif m/c (3/12) and expecting another bean 6/13 stork-suprise.gif.

#3 of 6 Old 06-23-2013, 06:27 AM

I would contact your midwife/dr/OB and describe your symptoms. This may be postpartum anxiety manifesting in an unusual way and may escalate. The MW/dr/OB should be well versed in local resources available for help. I didn't have the symptoms you describe but I did have postpartum mood issues with my first and now am experiencing more severe anger/depression/intrusive feelings with my current pregnancy. My dr referred me to the local women's health concern clinic which specializes in reproduction related mental health issues. The counseling I received (and currently am receiving again) has been incredible. I urge you to please talk to someone. This may be mostly sleep deprivation but having someone to check in with can be very very helpful to recognize if things start escalating. hug.gif
#4 of 6 Old 06-24-2013, 04:56 PM

hey,

what your describing is called hypnagogic hallucinations and lucid dreaming. I have had severe sleep issues and insomnia from having my little one, now 4 yrs old. My experience, when really sleep deprived, is quite similar. here are some sites for you to check out and read on this phenomena.
http://www.world-of-lucid-dreaming.com/exploring-your-hypnagogia.html
#5 of 6 Old 06-24-2013, 04:58 PM

Please know that this is perfectly normal for a person who is a) sleep deprived or b) very anxious and aroused. Your body is letting you know that you really need more sleep.

Here is another site for you....
http://www.patient.co.uk/doctor/Hypnagogic-Hallucinations.htm

good luck and get some rest!
#6 of 6 Old 06-26-2013, 02:08 PM

Quoted: 35 Post(s)

I'm very sorry you are having these problems :(

Childbirth stimulates the same nerves and portions of the brain that are stimulated during sex and trauma. Many women describe having their childhood sexual abuse come back to their memory after childbirth, especially if they've repressed it and they were very young when it occured.

I hope this isn't the case for you, but perhaps you could see a therapist for a little while until this passes or you discover what the trouble is & work through it.

Hugs,

Puma

Tags
Mental Health

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page