Mothering Forums

Mothering Forums (http://www.mothering.com/forum/)
-   Mental Health (http://www.mothering.com/forum/317-mental-health/)
-   -   How do you treat your ADHD/ADD? (http://www.mothering.com/forum/317-mental-health/1400143-how-do-you-treat-your-adhd-add.html)

GuavaGirl 04-07-2014 11:11 AM

I have been diagnosed with adult ADHD.  I'm currently taking Strattera 60mg and I'm just wondering if there are any other options I should explore, in terms of medications.  If I take it in the morning, I don't feel well.  If I take it at night, it wakes me up at 3am.  If I take it with lunch I'm fine, but my clear focused time of day ends up being around 7 or 8pm....and I would like it to be earlier.  Also I've had three episodes now where it makes me feel lightheaded/vertigo/groggy/like I've been drugged.  ...and I'm not sure why it was those three times in particular.

I had spent years focused on treating my despression/anxiety and it wasn't until recently that a counselor noticed ADHD as the underlying cause to the depression/anxiety.  ...so then I went for a psych eval.

Any thoughts, info, shared experiences or welcome.  ...or even links to a thread, if this has already been covered.

tracyamber 04-23-2014 11:00 PM

Anyone have any advice or experience?
I hope you have found a better schedule for taking your meds.

Neera 04-30-2014 07:52 AM

I might be suffering from some form of attention disorder but I haven't had it evaluated. I don't have any real advice other than try changing the drug. My friend's ds suffers from adhd and they have been through several different meds and is right now on a new one that will be upped v. gradually.

agentofchaos 06-04-2014 12:21 PM

I have fairly mild ADD, in addition to a couple other series of letters.

I don't take medication for it, specifically. I was on wellbutrin for a while as an anti-anxiety, pro-focus med, but it didn't really seem to do much, so I weaned off it, and haven't noticed a big difference.

I'm not sure how healthy this is, but with doctor's knowledge, I do use caffeine as a management strategy. I drink strong coffee a couple times a day, on work days. On non-work days I don't worry about it, and let my attention do what it's going to do. Coffee works better, for me, as a mood elevator, and focus-provider than medication did.

That said, I'm pretty mild in my symptoms, and I've learned a LOT of coping mechanisms, because I wasn't diagnosed till a few years ago (in my very late 20s).

As a previous poster said, i strongly encourage not sticking to one medicine if it's not helping significantly or you're having serious side effects. With the other stuff I take meds for, I've got through a series of them before I found the mix that works for me. I'd advocate working with your doctor to try something different, even if it's just taking it at a different time of day.

Good thoughts to you!