If you suffer from anything have you or would you mention it to a prospective employer? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 04-19-2014, 01:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)

So, I suffer from panic and social anxiety disorder. I have taken meds. in the past. But nothing ever worked. I did therapy for a v. short time as well. The doc. taught me NLP. It did not work at all. I also did not try it for long because I never saw any results. I've just come to a point in my life where I feel like I am intelligent, educated (have a Masters degree) and I could be a great asset at a work place and what harm would it or could it do if I mentioned it upfront in an interview? My only reason to not work has been that 'eventually, they'll find out I am weird.' Maybe they'll pay me less? for being mentally handicapped. My biggest anxiety thus far has been that people will find out. What do you think? Any ideas, suggestions are welcome.

Thank you for reading.

When the thoughts we think are the same as the words we speak, others will feel our integrity ~ Unknown
#2 of 8 Old 04-20-2014, 12:11 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Hi- This is a very thought provoking question for me, as I have been reading material and researching the human rights law around accomodation in the workplace.
It is illegal for an employer to discriminate against you because of your mental health, but, of course, this kind of discrimination is extremely common.
There are many things to consider.
Firstly, I would sit down and consider what I would need in terms of any workplace accomodations for my disability in the context of a particular job.
With that knowledge, I would consider whether it is worth being totally up front in the interview, risking discrimination or waiting to discuss it once the position is secured.
It is not something an employer can ask you about, but you have the right to disclose it and ask for accomodation.
Being straight forward right off the get go might just reveal the real climate in the business, and save you trouble down the road.
All things to consider...

familybed1.gifbftoddler.gif homebirth.jpgcd.gif  kid.gif 
#3 of 8 Old 04-20-2014, 02:05 PM

Don't mention medical/disability issues in the interview unless absolutely unavoidable. While technically they can't discriminate based on that, they can usually find some other reason to go with another candidate. You are within your rights to ask for reasonable accomodations at a later point in time.

DS born 6/03, DD1 born 9/06, DD2 born 10/10, DD3 born 4/14.
#4 of 8 Old 04-21-2014, 11:29 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I agree with Ocelotmom; don't discuss your disability issues in the interview.
The interview and hiring should be based on your skills, merits and personality.
I do believe in the value of accessing your own capabilities in the context of your disability honestly for yourself, so that you can come up with realistic work goals.
This will allow you to understand what accomodations you made need, if any, on the days your disability may affect your job performance.
HappyHappyMommy likes this.

familybed1.gifbftoddler.gif homebirth.jpgcd.gif  kid.gif 
#5 of 8 Old 04-30-2014, 06:47 AM - Thread Starter

I guess that is my issue is that I MUST hide it. If I was physically handicapped I may not have been able to hide it. Maybe it's the easy way out - just talking about it up front. Or I was hoping I'd find a compassionate company. I just have to work on myself more and be more prepared, possibly go back to a therapist before I start seeking employment and it seems like I'm huge procrastinator but of course I don't have to explain myself to everyone out there that thinks that.

When the thoughts we think are the same as the words we speak, others will feel our integrity ~ Unknown
#6 of 8 Old 05-18-2014, 07:19 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Hmm.  They can;t ask you.So, why volunteer? Once you're hired you can ask for accommodation and be protected under ADA>

#7 of 8 Old 05-18-2014, 08:19 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)

I wouldn't mention it at all if it's a job where there is no reason to (not particularly mentally taxing, which would be different for everyone).

If it's a job that is particularly mentally taxing, I'd question applying for it in the first place, if there is other work to be had.

If it's a job that requires being signed off by a doctor for mental fitness, mental health concerns, then it will likely come up.

As a rule, I keep my mental health status to myself.

dust.gifFour-eyed tattooed fairy godmother queer, mama to my lucky star (5) and little bird (2.5). Resident storyteller at www.thestoryforest.com. Enchanting audiostories for curious kids. Come play in the forest!
#8 of 8 Old 05-19-2014, 02:51 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by starling&diesel View Post

I wouldn't mention it at all if it's a job where there is no reason to (not particularly mentally taxing, which would be different for everyone).

If it's a job that is particularly mentally taxing, I'd question applying for it in the first place, if there is other work to be had.

If it's a job that requires being signed off by a doctor for mental fitness, mental health concerns, then it will likely come up.

As a rule, I keep my mental health status to myself.

Recently, I have been thinking of getting something easy, not taxing, because the thought of it itself is taxing. Maybe working as a trainee waiting tables. I am just not ready to be in a stressful office environment.

Tags
Mental Health

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page