If you checked yes on your driver's license - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 05-14-2014, 03:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)

If you checked Yes to mental illness on your driver's license did that mean you had to get a handicapped license plate?? How does that work?

When the thoughts we think are the same as the words we speak, others will feel our integrity ~ Unknown
#2 of 10 Old 05-14-2014, 05:09 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
My state doesn't have any such designation but I'm pretty sure no one HAS TO get a handicapped plate and that those who do must be physically disabled.

Bring back the old MDC
#3 of 10 Old 05-14-2014, 05:48 PM

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
In my state handicapped plates are for the purposes of parking only. If one qualifies for handicapped plates is pretty strictly controlled as well.
#4 of 10 Old 05-18-2014, 03:02 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks. But, I'm still wondering why they need that information if not for the license plate??

When the thoughts we think are the same as the words we speak, others will feel our integrity ~ Unknown
#5 of 10 Old 05-18-2014, 06:36 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
What does the question specifically ask?
#6 of 10 Old 05-18-2014, 07:18 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Because it can impact your driving. I assume your state has list of diagnosis which would require a note from a doctor or something. Jsut ask your DMV.

#7 of 10 Old 05-18-2014, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neera View Post

Thanks. But, I'm still wondering why they need that information if not for the license plate??

Any medical condition that may affect your ability to concentrate on the task at hand (driving) is relevant to obtaining a drivers license, especially if the individual is on medications that could impair their driving ability.
#8 of 10 Old 05-19-2014, 02:47 PM - Thread Starter

Two parts to this: I am planning to ask my gp for a recommendation to a mental health doctor for a diagnosis. And if I am diagnosed with something I am like then will my license plate change. I don't know if I would be able to handle explaining considering that to all and sundry as it is it is hard enough. 

I just didnt' want to pick up the phone and call DMV just in case they ask my info. and just put that  in my record. Recently wherever I've been calling before I can even even open my mouth they want my name, number the whole works. Seems like a new reality. But anyways, some times I have replied saying I didn't want to give it before they answered my query and they seemed not happy.

#9 of 10 Old 05-19-2014, 03:17 PM

The only reason you would be issued a handicap license plate for your car is if you are diagnosed with a condition that makes it physically difficult for you to get from the parking lot into a facility. As far as I am aware a mental health diagnosis would not qualify you for handicap plates. Regardless, they are not ever mandatory and you have the right to just keep your regular plates even if you did qualify.
#10 of 10 Old 05-19-2014, 07:48 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCMoulton View Post

The only reason you would be issued a handicap license plate for your car is if you are diagnosed with a condition that makes it physically difficult for you to get from the parking lot into a facility. As far as I am aware a mental health diagnosis would not qualify you for handicap plates. Regardless, they are not ever mandatory and you have the right to just keep your regular plates even if you did qualify.

Thank you.

Tags
Mental Health

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page