If you checked yes on your driver's license - Mothering Forums
Mental Health > If you checked yes on your driver's license
Neera's Avatar Neera 04:57 PM 05-14-2014

If you checked Yes to mental illness on your driver's license did that mean you had to get a handicapped license plate?? How does that work?

blessedwithboys's Avatar blessedwithboys 06:09 PM 05-14-2014
My state doesn't have any such designation but I'm pretty sure no one HAS TO get a handicapped plate and that those who do must be physically disabled.
TCMoulton's Avatar TCMoulton 06:48 PM 05-14-2014
In my state handicapped plates are for the purposes of parking only. If one qualifies for handicapped plates is pretty strictly controlled as well.
Neera's Avatar Neera 04:02 PM 05-18-2014

Thanks. But, I'm still wondering why they need that information if not for the license plate??

Polliwog's Avatar Polliwog 07:36 PM 05-18-2014
What does the question specifically ask?
Alenushka's Avatar Alenushka 08:18 PM 05-18-2014

Because it can impact your driving. I assume your state has list of diagnosis which would require a note from a doctor or something. Jsut ask your DMV.

TCMoulton's Avatar TCMoulton 10:17 PM 05-18-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neera View Post

Thanks. But, I'm still wondering why they need that information if not for the license plate??

Any medical condition that may affect your ability to concentrate on the task at hand (driving) is relevant to obtaining a drivers license, especially if the individual is on medications that could impair their driving ability.
Neera's Avatar Neera 03:47 PM 05-19-2014

Two parts to this: I am planning to ask my gp for a recommendation to a mental health doctor for a diagnosis. And if I am diagnosed with something I am like then will my license plate change. I don't know if I would be able to handle explaining considering that to all and sundry as it is it is hard enough. 

I just didnt' want to pick up the phone and call DMV just in case they ask my info. and just put that  in my record. Recently wherever I've been calling before I can even even open my mouth they want my name, number the whole works. Seems like a new reality. But anyways, some times I have replied saying I didn't want to give it before they answered my query and they seemed not happy.

TCMoulton's Avatar TCMoulton 04:17 PM 05-19-2014
The only reason you would be issued a handicap license plate for your car is if you are diagnosed with a condition that makes it physically difficult for you to get from the parking lot into a facility. As far as I am aware a mental health diagnosis would not qualify you for handicap plates. Regardless, they are not ever mandatory and you have the right to just keep your regular plates even if you did qualify.
Neera's Avatar Neera 08:48 PM 05-19-2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by TCMoulton View Post

The only reason you would be issued a handicap license plate for your car is if you are diagnosed with a condition that makes it physically difficult for you to get from the parking lot into a facility. As far as I am aware a mental health diagnosis would not qualify you for handicap plates. Regardless, they are not ever mandatory and you have the right to just keep your regular plates even if you did qualify.

Thank you.

Tags: Mental Health
Up