1Likes
  • 1 Post By Memento

#1 of 5 Old 06-12-2014, 11:44 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Antidepressants

Hey all,

I've struggled with depression and anxiety for as long as I can remember, but recently had a crisis enter my life and am having a hell of a time functioning.

I've never taken any sort of pharmacological medications to deal with this, but made the decision to try them out. I went to the doctor today and got a prescription for Escitalopram Oxalate.

Has anyone here been on this medication before? Any advice? Helpful experiences? Hell, I don't even know how much it's going to cost me, so that info would also be helpful.

Thanks so much,
Andi

Andi - roller derby, slave to the hoop, birth junkie, lover of love, single mama of 4
#2 of 5 Old 06-12-2014, 08:42 PM

Mentioned: 190 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Hugs to you mama! It's no fun to not feel yourself. My sister was on it for a while and it helped. How many mg are you going to be taking?
Do you have insurance as they should cover it.
Best
#3 of 5 Old 06-17-2014, 11:40 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecstaticmama24 View Post
Hey all,

I've struggled with depression and anxiety for as long as I can remember, but recently had a crisis enter my life and am having a hell of a time functioning.

I've never taken any sort of pharmacological medications to deal with this, but made the decision to try them out. I went to the doctor today and got a prescription for Escitalopram Oxalate.

Has anyone here been on this medication before? Any advice? Helpful experiences? Hell, I don't even know how much it's going to cost me, so that info would also be helpful.

Thanks so much,
Andi

So sorry you are feeling this way. I have been suffering for a long time, and it got worse after some severe stress that occurred. Panic attacks,insomnia, etc....I am deathly scared to try antidepressants, so haven't gone that route, but it has been a possibility. My fears of those drugs are too great. My mom was affected in a negative way from them, but I know others that are fine from being on them. It's such a hard decision to make. I'll be trying a few more natural remedies soon to see if I can get relief. I'm exhausting every avenue before I try them. I hope you feel better soon, it's so difficult to experience anxiety and depression.
#4 of 5 Old 06-18-2014, 03:31 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm really sorry things are so hard at the moment One of the problems with mental health problems is that they usually get worse when life is difficult and you most need to be well to deal with it.

I've taken citalopram but not escitalopram, but they are very similar as citalopram is made up of a mixture of both "mirror images" of the drug molecule whereas escitalopram is only one of them - the effective one. It basically just means escitalopram is twice as strong per gram.

A very important thing to consider about antidepressants or any psychiatric drug is that different people can and do have very different reactions to and experiences of them, more so than "physical" drugs. Unfortunately this means that other people's experiences aren't hugely helpful when making your decisions about what to take. Bearing that in mind, I didn't get on well with it because it made me too drained and sleepy to do anything but also made me feel sort of agitated. It is also very good at killing sex drive in a large proportion of people who take it. I know quite a few people who have taken it and probably around 20% liked it/found it helpful.

I've had to try a lot of medicines since I was in my early teens (so about 13 years), and discovered that the best things to do when deciding what to take are:

1) Make sure you get a good doctor who is really willing to listen. This is the most important thing. You do not want someone who will just hand you a prescription without discussing it.

2) Ask your doctor why they have decided that medicine would be the best for you to try. Sometimes they just have a "go-to" drug that they try all their patients on first but may not be the best suited to you. Unfortunately sometimes they also get encouraged by the drug company to push a particular brand too. For you it seems the best medication to try would be an antidepressant which is also used to treat anxiety disorders. Escitalopram is used to treat generalised anxiety disorder, but there are also other options some of which are better for panic disorders.

3) Find out how it works. Often the doctors aren't very good at explaining this or even knowing more than vaguely themselves, so looking it up is a good idea. Even Wikipedia can be helpful there. Here is a good site explaining escitalopram: http://www.saferx.co.nz/full/citalop...citalopram.pdf

4) Find out what the side effects can be in what percentage of people they occur. Here (the UK) they have to have an information sheet in the pack which tells you "Fewer than 1 in 10 people experience on of these side effects" or "1 in 1000..." but I'm not sure if that is the case elsewhere. The information is easily available online anyway. It's better to look at the plain facts rather than read possibly negatively or positively biased things though.

5) Check how long it will take before you can expect to see results. The doctors usually say 4-6 weeks, but in reality if it's going to work it will in 4. Don't let them make you wait ages after that for a dose increase if it seems to be working a bit but not enough. If your body is tolerating it with few side effects by the end of that time you should be able to increase the dose every couple of/few weeks until it is working well for you. If after about 4 weeks you see no difference or side effects are overwhelming just try something else to avoid wasting time, energy and money.

5) Always ask as many questions as possible to your doctor and voice any concerns. The best way to get good treatment is to be your own advocate (though I know this is hard when you suffer anxiety). I've found the best thing to do it write everything down in bullet points and then it will remind you what you wanted to say or alternatively if you find that too hard you can just hand it to the doctor.

Remember, it often takes trying several medications before you find the right one for you. It's hard, but worth it in the end. If you have any other questions I can try and answer. I have a lot of personal experience and have studied biochemistry and biological psychology as part of my degree course (and for fun ).

I hope things get much better soon.

Fae
jammomma likes this.
#5 of 5 Old 06-19-2014, 04:45 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecstaticmama24 View Post
Hey all,

Thanks so much,
Andi

Me again
I was going to mention that maybe before going down the antidepressant route, maybe you should try cod liver oil, b vitamins drink lots of water, magnesium, paleo type eating, maybe certain herbs. Also make sure your thyroid is normal. I've been doing the above and has helped but not cured me.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page