overcoming fatigue - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

Old 07-11-2014, 01:24 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
overcoming fatigue

I'm a little hesitant to write this, because right now I feel fine. But there are so many times when I'm not quite so fine, and I feel I need to talk about this.
Today I'm having a good day, energy-wise, but yesterday was not so good. I woke up with a stiff neck and suffering from a fatigue that I could not get over all day. Perhaps it was the weather (a cool night, and I seem to be more sensitive to weather changes these days), or perhaps it was the fact that DS (almost 4 y.o.) woke me up before 6am, when I could really have benefited from another hour's sleep. Or it could have been the glass of beer I'd had with supper the night before. Or it could have been all of the above. Whatever the reason(s), I felt wiped out all day. And this is not so unusual for me. In fact it seems that the days where I have what used to be anywhere near "normal" energy level for me are more rare than the tired days.
I should add that I also have an 8 m.o. daughter, so perhaps the fact that I'm experiencing low energy is only to be expected. But it just doesn't seem right that I should feel like I'm struggling every day just to get the basics done, and am not even doing such a good job of those. My meals leave a lot to be desired (I cook healthy and from scratch as much as possible), the house is filthy even though I seem to be cleaning all day long, and I feel that no one in our household (DH, DS, DD, myself) is getting enough care and attention or the time to do everything we want or need to do.
It doesn't help when DH expresses frustration that he's overburdened doing "my" work because I can't seem to handle two children while cooking supper, or have to lie down to nap with DD while he looks after DS. I understand where he's coming from; he works from home and it's pretty much impossible to concentrate on grown-up work with a vibrant preschooler running around. I try to get out of the house with the children whenever possible, and I feel better when I do, but as soon as I get home again, it's the same old struggle. Trying to take care of several chores at once while anticipating the children's needs before the late-day meltdowns happen. I don't like DH to see me feeling discouraged, and his work is too important (for our sake) to be distracted from.
So, I'd like to find a solution. Do any of you have any suggestions for strategies that will help me get through these days cheerfully? Is there a way to not feel exhausted before even the morning is over? Can I change my thinking at those moments when I'm feeling overwhelmed?
I think that what I'm going through is within the bounds of "normal" for a family at this stage, but I would like to enjoy parenthood more, while the children are still so young. I'd also like to have more energy to devote to them, and for them to see a happy mama, not one that is tired, worn-out, and looking unhappy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2014, 11:52 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by head4thehills View Post
I'm a little hesitant to write this, because right now I feel fine. But there are so many times when I'm not quite so fine, and I feel I need to talk about this.
Today I'm having a good day, energy-wise, but yesterday was not so good. I woke up with a stiff neck and suffering from a fatigue that I could not get over all day. Perhaps it was the weather (a cool night, and I seem to be more sensitive to weather changes these days), or perhaps it was the fact that DS (almost 4 y.o.) woke me up before 6am, when I could really have benefited from another hour's sleep. Or it could have been the glass of beer I'd had with supper the night before. Or it could have been all of the above. Whatever the reason(s), I felt wiped out all day. And this is not so unusual for me. In fact it seems that the days where I have what used to be anywhere near "normal" energy level for me are more rare than the tired days.
I should add that I also have an 8 m.o. daughter, so perhaps the fact that I'm experiencing low energy is only to be expected. But it just doesn't seem right that I should feel like I'm struggling every day just to get the basics done, and am not even doing such a good job of those. My meals leave a lot to be desired (I cook healthy and from scratch as much as possible), the house is filthy even though I seem to be cleaning all day long, and I feel that no one in our household (DH, DS, DD, myself) is getting enough care and attention or the time to do everything we want or need to do.
It doesn't help when DH expresses frustration that he's overburdened doing "my" work because I can't seem to handle two children while cooking supper, or have to lie down to nap with DD while he looks after DS. I understand where he's coming from; he works from home and it's pretty much impossible to concentrate on grown-up work with a vibrant preschooler running around. I try to get out of the house with the children whenever possible, and I feel better when I do, but as soon as I get home again, it's the same old struggle. Trying to take care of several chores at once while anticipating the children's needs before the late-day meltdowns happen. I don't like DH to see me feeling discouraged, and his work is too important (for our sake) to be distracted from.
So, I'd like to find a solution. Do any of you have any suggestions for strategies that will help me get through these days cheerfully? Is there a way to not feel exhausted before even the morning is over? Can I change my thinking at those moments when I'm feeling overwhelmed?
I think that what I'm going through is within the bounds of "normal" for a family at this stage, but I would like to enjoy parenthood more, while the children are still so young. I'd also like to have more energy to devote to them, and for them to see a happy mama, not one that is tired, worn-out, and looking unhappy.
I am feeling so many of the same things you are. I wish I could offer you more than commiseration Even my mother noticed how "not like myself" I've become. She said it seems like I'm depressed but I really don't feel that I am, i'm not sad, just tired. I'm just sooo exhausted most of the time-sometimes too exhausted to even do things that I normally enjoy. I do also have a little one (4months old) so I do feel some of it is to be expected but.....I don't remember feeling like this with my older girls. I've had my thyroid checked because I was 'sure' that must be it. But it wasn't. Maybe get some bloodwork done to rule out thyroid issues, anemia etc. I will share with you what has been helping me lately: I've been drinking FOOD-GRADE diatomaceous earth (about 1 tablespoon every morning). For me it has been a godsend. I started out small with abt 1 tsp per day and then gradually worked up to 1 tablespoon. After about 1 week I noticed that my body felt so much better-not so achey anymore. I also felt like a fog had been lifted and I could think more clearly. and the best part is that I have more energy than I've had in soo long. I've even been managing to take the kids outside to ride their scooters around the neighborhood and get out to run at the track. I stopped taking it last week (had family visiting so just completely forgot about taking it) and definitely noticed a difference-I was once again just wiped out, so achey even my feet hurt! Within 2 days of taking the diatomaceous earth again I felt so much better.
You can do a search for diatomaceous earth and see all the positive reviews it has. Its a powder that you can mix in with your drink or your food. I personally mix mine in with a glass of tea. It doesn't really have a taste but does have a texture (not gritty though). I ordered mine online at 2lbs for $11 including shipping. So cheap I don't mind if I have to take this for the rest of my life

Stephanienut.gif, RT, Mama to Jenergy.gif (4/06), Nfencing.gif (9/10), and someone new stork-girl.gif (2/14), partner to Vdrum.gif and Learning to take it one day at a timepraying.gif 
Old 07-12-2014, 11:30 AM - Thread Starter

Hey, thanks, Stephanie! Even commiseration helps, as I don't feel I'm so alone in this experience, and I don't feel like I'm just a whiner. Whenever I think about talking about my feelings, I'm afraid I'm just going to get a "suck it up, Princess" reaction from others, especially since there are so many people who have worse problems to deal with.
I've heard about D.E., and have even used it once long ago to deal with an insect problem in an apartment we were living in, but I didn't realise there were benefits to taking it internally (food-grade, of course). I'm going to look into it, and ask my local health food store if they have it or could order it for me. I don't think I'm suffering from any medical issues, since my fatigue seems to be alleviated simply by getting enough rest. Also, I have to make sure I only enjoy that glass of beer occasionally, since having even just one drink does affect how I feel the next day. I've never been one to overindulge, but before I had children, I'd have a daily glass with supper. Now I've just become too sensitive for it.
A big issue is that I've become more sensitive overall, which has its benefits and its drawbacks. I have to be sensitive towards the needs of my children, but the stress of this (a lot of worry and anxiety) leaves me mentally exhausted, and there is no real break from it. I no longer get the deep, healing sleep needed to replenish my system, and during the day there is never a chance to just concentrate on one task. Also, I'm not the youngest of mothers, and am just not as resilient to stress as I used to be.
Exercise would help me too, I think. Unfortunately, it's a lot harder for me to get out for long walks like I used to take with DS in the stroller when he was a baby. We're not in a walking-friendly neighbourhood (too rural, no sidewalks) and DS isn't able to walk or ride his trike at the good steady pace I'd need. If we could work out some alternate care arrangements for him, maybe I could get out for a brisk walk once in a while, but we're just not there yet.
Having said all this, I am grateful that our family is so good and healthy. I do hope that as DD gets a little older and doesn't need to be carried around so much (I'm often trying to cook a meal with one hand while holding her with the other) and DS becomes a little more independent with his playing, I'll start to feel a little more like my old self again.
I hope things improve soon for you as well!
Old 08-13-2014, 01:29 PM - Thread Starter

Just wanted to add a quick note that I found something that seems to be working: B vitamins! Don't know why I didn't think of trying these before. I knew they work for depression for some people, but for some reason I didn't associate that with energy levels.
A week or so ago, I went into our local health food store and asked the sales lady for food-grade D.E. She told me it's not available in Canada (not sure why), but then asked why I felt I needed it. When I told her of my fatigue issues, she suggested that it's a sign my body is missing something (other than the obvious-- sleep), and that I should try to get my nutrient levels up. She recommended a specific formulation of B vitamins, which she uses herself and has received good feedback on from other customers. I've grown to trust her recommendations, and these weren't too expensive (for a two-month supply), so I purchased them.
I have to say, I've never experienced noticeable improvements from vitamin supplements... until now. I not only have more energy to do all the things I want to do, but also feel more resilient to mental stress. I haven't felt frustrated or on the verge of tears since I've started taking them. I smile in the face of troublesome moments. I respond calmly to my children's needs, even when they are expressed with sounds that used to make my eardrums rattle and my head ache. I feel like I have a protective layer over my nerves, and am no longer so overly sensitive to everything. Maybe I really was very depleted, in spite of eating a healthy diet.
I've done a few other things as well that have helped, such as 15 minutes of stretching exercises before bed, making sure our sleeping arrangements are working for everybody, and using all the "tools" available to enable me to spend less time carrying the children around in my arms. It's amazing how quickly carrying around those (not so little) bundles of joy can tire a person out!
I've also taken to doodling aimlessly in my sketchbook. This helps on a mental level, satisfying some of my creative urges without having to have a fully-stocked art studio at my disposal. I've discovered the joy of sketching my children at play, even though life drawing has never been my forte. I'm actually improving.
Still would love to get more walking in. Maybe it's just a matter of putting my mind to it, making it a priority... and the solution will present itself.
I hope that relating my experiences might help others with similar issues!
Old 08-23-2014, 11:51 PM

Wow, so happy that you've found something thats working for you! That's awesome how much better you're doing I hope you continue to see results What is the brand/name of the supplement you're taking if you dont mind? I personally have not seen much improvement in myself with b vitamins, however maybe i never gave myself enough time to see results? How long did it take for you?

Stephanienut.gif, RT, Mama to Jenergy.gif (4/06), Nfencing.gif (9/10), and someone new stork-girl.gif (2/14), partner to Vdrum.gif and Learning to take it one day at a timepraying.gif 
Old 08-24-2014, 04:32 PM - Thread Starter

I've been using Health First B-100s with maca. I think it's the Maca that is giving me the energy boost more than anything, but the label on the bottle says it's good for stress support and helps the body metabolize nutrients. Here's a link with more info on this product:
http://www.foodsmiths.com/shop/produ...vate_product=1
I was only taking it for about two or three days before I started noticing a difference. I wasn't crashing by noon, and didn't feel the need for an extra cup of coffee in the afternoon. I have also noticed that I have less of a desire for a serving of beer with my supper at the end of the day. I have heard that B's will have that effect!
I've just read up a little on Maca, and am not sure if I should be taking it while breastfeeding, but there don't seem to be any specific contraindications, other than that they haven't done enough studies to find out if it's safe. I think the dose in this product is relatively low, so I'm not too worried. (If you hear anything else, though, please let me know!)
I do, however, find that some days I feel a little too stimulated from the supplements, so I'm trying to take it every other day, or two days on, one day off, to see if it helps keep me balanced overall.
And just when I think I've found something that's working for me, I get a warning: My sister told me about a friend of hers who was taking B supplements for some time (don't know how long), but now his body has lost the ability to absorb the B's from food or pills because of taking supplements for too long, and has to go to the doctor for direct injections of B's regularly. Don't know if this is a big risk with taking supplements, but I think I will plan to reduce my usage over time, and hope I don't run into the same problem!
Old 08-29-2014, 05:50 PM
A&A

Have you gotten your thyroid checked? It's a very common reason for women to be fatigued. And be sure you are seeing someone who is familiar with the current values for what is considered hypothyroid.....a TSH of over 3.0 (not 5.0 like they used to say.)

"Our task is not to see the future, but to enable it."
Old 09-02-2014, 11:40 AM - Thread Starter

Haven't had my thyroid checked, but I have been thinking about it. It's tough, right now, to find the time to do anything, like make a doctor's appointment for myself. Just making and keeping an appointment will be complicated, since my family doctor is far away and there is a shortage of doctors closer to where I'm living. Finding a new doctor just takes so many steps that it's become what feels like an insurmountable barrier right now. So, I keep putting it off. It's wrong, I know, but I feel that there has to be something more obviously wrong with me before I take the time to have it investigated.

And today, I feel like I could use an extra boost. After a few very humid days, I feel like every step is a tough slog through deep water. The humidity is supposed to lift by tomorrow, and hopefully I'll feel better.
Old 09-16-2014, 02:23 PM

The sore neck screams Epstein barr virus to me. This is the same virus that causes mono. I have it and know when I have an active infections. I have one now as a matter of fact.
Symptoms are extreme fatigue, sore neck, swollen glands, hurts to swallow, a cyclic slight fever (99-100 degrees) usually at night.

I have treated it successfully with mega doses of vitamin c, but it can days weeks.

I have six children ages 13 to 17 months. My youngest, 17 months has never slept through the night. I am quite tired.

I also take raw liver and b12 injections.

Seems to help. I know I'll get over this slump, eventually, but it is very hard.

Mother to 6
13, 11, 9, 6, 4, 1
Pray, Hope and Don't Worry

Tags
fatigue , low-energy , stress , tired
User Tag List