Anyone out here successfully beat anxiety?? I need encouragement!! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 20 Old 08-08-2014, 09:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Anyone out here successfully beat anxiety?? I need encouragement!!

I'm 11 weeks postpartum with ppa superimposed on GAD (which i never considered to be a big issue- it was manageable). After my kiddos & especially baby #2 , I'm in hell. Today has been great, best day I've had in weeks, but yesterday and the day before were some of the worst I've had. Terrible anxiety, worry with even some OCD (not really intrusive thoughts, but certainly obsessive worry about my kid's health with nearly constant/compulsive reassurance-seeking. I used to google everything, now I'm banned from google).
I'm in treatment with a CBT therapist, who I love. I also have an appt with my PCP on Aug 19 to discuss possible medication. I journal and I'm taking a fish oil supplement, trying to exercise daily, eat well, etc..... I'm really trying to get better. I'm just so tired of feeling so bad, like I have to be on high alert at every minute. I have tension headaches & horrible back pain. I'm truly miserable during a time I need to be enjoying with my little ones.
So, my question is, does anyone have any success stories to share? I realize that anxiety isn't something that goes away, but anyone ever feel like they manage their anxiety in a healthy manner? (I'm also seeing that this is reassurance seeking too, but help a sister out if you can!)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 20 Old 08-09-2014, 03:17 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)

Here is a bump for you.

I have not experienced significant anxiety. I have felt very overwhelmed and moderately depressed. Self care was extremely important, as was prioritising and putting one foot in front of the other.

I hope someone comes along with advice that resonates for you.

There is a battle of two wolves inside us.  One is good and the other is evil.  The wolf that wins is the one you feed.

Book and herb loving mama to 1 preteen and 2 teens (when did that happen?).  We travel, go to school, homeschool, live rurally, eat our veggies, spend too much time...

#3 of 20 Old 08-10-2014, 09:44 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you Kathy. I am seriously in that place of putting one foot in front of the other.
#4 of 20 Old 08-13-2014, 04:30 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
This isn't a cure, but it's something has really helped me. I love the Anxiety Guru podcast. The host is lovely and it leaves me feeling calm and not alone. http://www.anxietyguru.net/
#5 of 20 Old 08-16-2014, 10:01 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you @lilgreen
#6 of 20 Old 08-16-2014, 05:38 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Suffering myself and haven't really done enough to beat it. But I understand what you are experiencing. I highly recommend this book: Fear is no longer my reality by Jamie Blyth. He was able to successfully overcome anxiety and social phobia. I bought a used copy. And about the fish oil, I have tried it in the past although I didn't see any difference but I heard Dr. Joel Fuhrmann say fish oil doesn't work because it goes rancid. There are articles about it on google if you want to check it out.

Cheerfulness enables us to remember no problem lasts forever ~ Unknown
#7 of 20 Old 08-16-2014, 05:58 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My neighbor was suffering Postpartum Depression for 3+ years and she tried muliple times to get off of her anti-depressants, but failed. It was controlling her life...she would have to take 1-2 naps a day while in a fit of depression. I introduced her to Mucuna L-DOPA, a natural plant extract, by Keter Wellness. No joke, 2 days later she said she felt better...2 weeks later she was off her meds. I didn't think it would work that well, but I heard it was used by junkies to ween off drugs so I figured the anti-depressants were similar. Not exactly sure which ones she was on. Give Mucuna a try. It's harmless, and according to David Wolfe(herbal master) you CAN'T overdose.
#8 of 20 Old 08-16-2014, 07:06 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neera View Post
Suffering myself and haven't really done enough to beat it. But I understand what you are experiencing. I highly recommend this book: Fear is no longer my reality by Jamie Blyth. He was able to successfully overcome anxiety and social phobia. I bought a used copy. And about the fish oil, I have tried it in the past although I didn't see any difference but I heard Dr. Joel Fuhrmann say fish oil doesn't work because it goes rancid. There are articles about it on google if you want to check it out.
Thank you @Neera . I'll check out the book & I'm thinking of switching to a high quality fermented cod liver oil instead of fish oil pills.
#9 of 20 Old 08-16-2014, 07:06 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neera View Post
Thank you @Neera . I'll check out the book & I'm thinking of switching to a high quality fermented cod liver oil instead of fish oil pills.
#10 of 20 Old 08-31-2014, 10:14 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just wanted to give you some words of encouragement. Keep the faith. Yes, things can get better and it sounds like you are doing everything you can to get there.

I have anxiety and although I don't think I've ever been quite where you are (or were when you first posted) I do know that my anxiety ebbs and flows and that keeping a healthy balance of activities, eating healthy foods, taking Omega 3's (which for me definitely helps), etc all can make such a difference.

I also have a school aged son who has had such terrible anxiety that he has been almost unable to function in any way - not able to go to school, quitting his beloved activities, avoiding social situations... He's been on medication for 5 months and getting intensive CBT for 2 months now. We also have been taking him 3 times a week to a chiropractor - sort of throwing the book at him and trying to see if anything sticks. As you said, anxiety doesn't go away, but he can function and enjoy life. Now instead of being (literally at times) curled up in the fetal position on the floor he appears at first to be a very normal, well adjusted kid who is just on-the-go. He uses movement as a coping strategy. He can't stand in one place too long so you better keep up. But he is happy and has fun as a child should. So there's your success story. I would like to get him off meds and hopefully we can soon, but we're all taking a few minutes to breathe in the aftermath of a hellish spring/ early summer.

I look forward to hearing your success story when you get there.

Laurie Busy mama to Boo (10/02) DeeDa (10/04) and Belly (10/07) TS 45X
#11 of 20 Old 09-01-2014, 06:22 AM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
I have GAD (Generalized Anxiety Disorder), PTSD (Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder), and I've been diagnosed with PMDD (Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder) and PPD (Postpartum Depression).

So.

Have I "beaten" them? I'm considered fairly well managed. I live in California and have a medical Marijuana card. My husband calls it my "apathy enhancement drug". I started using pot *after* I had kids and ran out of Western meds to try for anxiety management. I feel sorta evangelical about the substance. My life is so much better than it used to be. I can make forward progress on areas of my behavior that I have not been able to in the past. I can be calm and "in the moment" in ways I have *never* been due to my extreme hypervigilance.

But I'm coming off years of extreme self-harm. For me, pot is a much less extreme choice than the things I used to do to manage stress. I can get edibles so I don't have to smoke (though I sometimes choose to do so).

It isn't a path that works for everyone. There are lots of reasons that it isn't ideal. It isn't legal everywhere. It has negative health side effects.... just like every other medication. I draw comfort from the fact that unlike most other medications that I have been given by doctors it is just about impossible for me to overdose on pot (no recorded fatalities *ever*). Given my overdose history I like ensuring that there is no chance that I can overdose on the amount of medication in my house on any given day. It would be annoying to have a daily med I needed to get from a store that often.

So! OP, first step: give yourself a long line of slack. The first year of having a second child is going to be really rough. Steal yourself to kind of hold your breath till 18 months. Then it often gets a lot easier. Feeling overwhelmed isn't a sign that you are failing. It is a sign that you are in an enormously overwhelming period of life. I spent a lot of time stealing a few minutes in the bathroom alone so I could chant, "This will end. This will end. This will end." Some days were rough.

My kids are 6 and 4. Things are much, much better. I take a lot of time for self-care. I have a husband who understands that I need serious support. He does almost all the cooking. He is on duty with the kids when he is home. I am *not* the main person to ask for help at all hours of the day. Just, forking no.

I have a trusted babysitter. She is here 4-8 hours a week. She's a local home schooled kid who is available during the day. She is saving my life.

Looking for support is really hard. But we all need support. That isn't a sign of your failure. That is a sign of your humanity. It is signaling that you need to depend on your community somehow.

Good luck.

My advice may not be appropriate for you. That's ok. You are just fine how you are and I am the right kind of me.

#12 of 20 Old 09-07-2014, 06:48 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rightkindofme View Post
I have GAD (Generalized Anxiety Disorder), PTSD (Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder), and I've been diagnosed with PMDD (Premenstrual Dysphoric Disorder) and PPD (Postpartum Depression).

So.

Have I "beaten" them? I'm considered fairly well managed. I live in California and have a medical Marijuana card. My husband calls it my "apathy enhancement drug". I started using pot *after* I had kids and ran out of Western meds to try for anxiety management. I feel sorta evangelical about the substance. My life is so much better than it used to be. I can make forward progress on areas of my behavior that I have not been able to in the past. I can be calm and "in the moment" in ways I have *never* been due to my extreme hypervigilance.

But I'm coming off years of extreme self-harm. For me, pot is a much less extreme choice than the things I used to do to manage stress. I can get edibles so I don't have to smoke (though I sometimes choose to do so).

It isn't a path that works for everyone. There are lots of reasons that it isn't ideal. It isn't legal everywhere. It has negative health side effects.... just like every other medication. I draw comfort from the fact that unlike most other medications that I have been given by doctors it is just about impossible for me to overdose on pot (no recorded fatalities *ever*). Given my overdose history I like ensuring that there is no chance that I can overdose on the amount of medication in my house on any given day. It would be annoying to have a daily med I needed to get from a store that often.

So! OP, first step: give yourself a long line of slack. The first year of having a second child is going to be really rough. Steal yourself to kind of hold your breath till 18 months. Then it often gets a lot easier. Feeling overwhelmed isn't a sign that you are failing. It is a sign that you are in an enormously overwhelming period of life. I spent a lot of time stealing a few minutes in the bathroom alone so I could chant, "This will end. This will end. This will end." Some days were rough.

My kids are 6 and 4. Things are much, much better. I take a lot of time for self-care. I have a husband who understands that I need serious support. He does almost all the cooking. He is on duty with the kids when he is home. I am *not* the main person to ask for help at all hours of the day. Just, forking no.

I have a trusted babysitter. She is here 4-8 hours a week. She's a local home schooled kid who is available during the day. She is saving my life.

Looking for support is really hard. But we all need support. That isn't a sign of your failure. That is a sign of your humanity. It is signaling that you need to depend on your community somehow.

Good luck.
Hi rightkindofme

Yes we all need support. I have Generalized Anxiety Disorder and is on medication. I an also blessed ( I pray a lot as I am a christian) with counselling with a health professional. Very sucessful as they work according to a module. I have just written complementing them. I still suffer sometimes with GAD. But I have slowed down daily activities to get a balance and I am happy. Lessened the stress. I have a wonderful husband who love and supports me all the way for which I am ever so grateful. I know you too have a supportive husband so you are blessed too. Not everybody understands the trauma we are going through and thats the way it is.. I also take one day at a time. Please keep in touch via this forum so that you will have support knowing that you are not alone with GAD. Take care.
#13 of 20 Old 09-09-2014, 09:01 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Hi
I have PTSD, anxiey, depression, panic attacks, insomnia, OCD, PMS, PMDD. I am not cured and have a long way to go. But things that have helped: Cod liver oil, sunshine, b-complex, magnesium, whole foods, flax seeds, raspberry leaf tea, nettle tea, homeopathic remedies, and herbal tinctures. Natural remedies effect me in such a mild way, so I feel very little relief for my symptoms. Drs would prefer to put me on a benzo and an antidepressant which I am too scared to do ( my mom had 2 suicide attempts related to antidepressants). Antidepressants for some can be pure Hell to get off, that's why so many can't. We have our house up for sale, to move to a state to get a medical marijuana card. I hope I get relief from some or all of my symptoms using a CBD oil with barely any THC in it. Higher strains of THC seems to cause me panic attacks. Keep trying.
#14 of 20 Old 09-11-2014, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lins21 View Post
Hi
I have PTSD, anxiey, depression, panic attacks, insomnia, OCD, PMS, PMDD. I am not cured and have a long way to go. But things that have helped: Cod liver oil, sunshine, b-complex, magnesium, whole foods, flax seeds, raspberry leaf tea, nettle tea, homeopathic remedies, and herbal tinctures. Natural remedies effect me in such a mild way, so I feel very little relief for my symptoms. Drs would prefer to put me on a benzo and an antidepressant which I am too scared to do ( my mom had 2 suicide attempts related to antidepressants). Antidepressants for some can be pure Hell to get off, that's why so many can't. We have our house up for sale, to move to a state to get a medical marijuana card. I hope I get relief from some or all of my symptoms using a CBD oil with barely any THC in it. Higher strains of THC seems to cause me panic attacks. Keep trying.
Hi Lins21,
Anti depressants are good if you are assessed carefully and given along with professional counselling. For my GAD doctors have given me a drug that is most suitable. My only side effect is that I need to sleep for at least 6hrs after I take my meds at night. Being a Christian I attend church often and pray daily. I shall include you also in my prayers.
#15 of 20 Old 09-11-2014, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramanie View Post
Hi Lins21,
Anti depressants are good if you are assessed carefully and given along with professional counselling. For my GAD doctors have given me a drug that is most suitable. My only side effect is that I need to sleep for at least 6hrs after I take my meds at night. Being a Christian I attend church often and pray daily. I shall include you also in my prayers.
Thanks for the response.
Also, thanks for the prayers! Means a lot

Lindsay
#16 of 20 Old 09-12-2014, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lins21 View Post
Thanks for the response.
Also, thanks for the prayers! Means a lot

Lindsay
Hi Lins21
You are welcome. God bless.
#17 of 20 Old 11-07-2014, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramanie View Post
Hi Lins21,

if you don't mind me asking which AD are you on? If I need to go the med route I don't want to be on them forever just to fix my disrupted body and than wean off if that's possible.
#18 of 20 Old 11-10-2014, 02:12 PM - Thread Starter

@Lins21 ~~
I know the question was not directed at me, but I wanted to chime in to let you know that I started a low dose of Zoloft about 3 months ago and it's been so, so helpful. It's not "fixed" me, but it has certainly calmed my mind enough that I can work through my anxiety before it becomes unmanageable. I'm still successfully nursing my 5 month old baby too. Best of luck xx

Sierra, wife to DH , Mama to DD (2012) and DS(2014). In love with my family and hoping for inner .
#19 of 20 Old Yesterday, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierramtngirl View Post
@Lins21 ~~
I know the question was not directed at me, but I wanted to chime in to let you know that I started a low dose of Zoloft about 3 months ago and it's been so, so helpful. It's not "fixed" me, but it has certainly calmed my mind enough that I can work through my anxiety before it becomes unmanageable. I'm still successfully nursing my 5 month old baby too. Best of luck xx

Thanks for your response. I just don't know what to do. My mom had 2 suicide attempts from antidepressant use, so I am so scared to try them. I do want a calm relaxed body and nothing is giving me the relief I need. If their wasn't a chance of suicide or severe withdrawals from antidepressants I would have tried it already. I am glad it is helping you. No one should have to suffer. Panic disorder and insomnia is ruining my life....I have better days. So hopefully time will keep healing me.
#20 of 20 Old Yesterday, 05:51 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
If you get a low dose of a drug that is not addictive there will be almost a zero chance of suicide. It's low enough that the anxiety is there but it may just take the edge off and help you to do a little more than you could do without any. but I am not a doctor. You could consult your doctor for a small dose.

Cheerfulness enables us to remember no problem lasts forever ~ Unknown

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page