Mothering Forum banner

Seasoned Mom w/PMDD

1K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  Lins21 
#1 ·
Hi there. I'm a seasoned mother of 4 children ages 8 yrs to 1 yr. Being a mother is amazing to me and it's something that speaks deeply to me as my life calling. SO.......

About 5 moths ago my menstrual cycle started back up (after having our daughter in Aug. of 2013). With it came a CRAZY women. I mean c.r.a.z.y! Emotions were ALL of the place and they were heavy and severe. My feelings have been that it will pass and my body needed to get back in the rhythm of things again. This last cycle I just couldn't take it anymore. I finally made an appt with me OBGYN. I felt like I was out of my mind and something had broken in my head/body chemistry. A friend suggested PPD, but after talking to my doc she said it was PMDD. (I'm in my late 30's and she feels that I may be starting to experience premature menopause.) She was WONDERFUL and made me feel human again. I explained ALL the emotions and symptoms I was having and she said, "Cry it out girl. You are not going crazy. It is VERY treatable. We'll get you back to feeling like you again." I've had a ton of blood work done just to rule out things and see where other levels are; thyroid, etc. I should get those results by Monday. She put me on Zoloft and I welcomed it so I could get some relief.

I just feel the need to share and say that we are out here and it's very treatable and you're not alone. (I haven't shared this with anyone, but a friend of mine. The extreme emotions are frightening and I've been in fear of judgment.) Now, I feel like I have a grasp on things and children and my ever so patient and wonderful husband will have me back!

See less See more
#2 ·
Hi I just wanted to say when I quit nursing my son (I was 38 at the time) my cycles finally returned and I thought I was losing my mind. I had terrible anxiety and was very grouchy before they returned. Then once I got my cycle I realized that's what it was. So I can completely relate. It takes such a toll on your body...I did start drinking Yogi women's moon tea and I think that really helped me. Around "that time" I would drink 8 or so cups a day and it really seemed to ease things for me. Thanks for sharing your story and good luck to you mama!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#3 ·
My PMDD causes intense suicidal ideation and self harm. It really isn't a joke to deal with. I'm trying birth control pills in the hope that it is mostly caused by estrogen depletion.

#4 ·
Hi there. I'm a seasoned mother of 4 children ages 8 yrs to 1 yr. Being a mother is amazing to me and it's something that speaks deeply to me as my life calling. SO.......

About 5 moths ago my menstrual cycle started back up (after having our daughter in Aug. of 2013). With it came a CRAZY women. I mean c.r.a.z.y! Emotions were ALL of the place and they were heavy and severe. My feelings have been that it will pass and my body needed to get back in the rhythm of things again. This last cycle I just couldn't take it anymore. I finally made an appt with me OBGYN. I felt like I was out of my mind and something had broken in my head/body chemistry. A friend suggested PPD, but after talking to my doc she said it was PMDD. (I'm in my late 30's and she feels that I may be starting to experience premature menopause.) She was WONDERFUL and made me feel human again. I explained ALL the emotions and symptoms I was having and she said, "Cry it out girl. You are not going crazy. It is VERY treatable. We'll get you back to feeling like you again." I've had a ton of blood work done just to rule out things and see where other levels are; thyroid, etc. I should get those results by Monday. She put me on Zoloft and I welcomed it so I could get some relief.

I just feel the need to share and say that we are out here and it's very treatable and you're not alone. (I haven't shared this with anyone, but a friend of mine. The extreme emotions are frightening and I've been in fear of judgment.) Now, I feel like I have a grasp on things and children and my ever so patient and wonderful husband will have me back!
Is the Zoloft helping? Curious because after I stopped breastfeeding I started getting panic attacks and insomnia. I am med free. But am curious on how to balance my anxiety and hormones.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.