Any One Else Seeing a Therapist? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 25 Old 10-23-2004, 02:23 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This is my 3rd therapist since I've been married...the first one was a complete bust and I quit going as soon as I figured out she should be doing something else for a living.

My second therapist was great and I really learned alot from him about what *I* was responsible and not, but then we moved.

Now on therapist #3 and hoping to finish this out and "graduate" this year! Woo Hoo!

My marriage has always been the catalyst for my going to see someone, but my childhood was complicated, especially after my parent's divorced and my mom left.

I think I'm making good progress. Dh has even gone and he has made some changes.

Anyone else working on "stuff?" TB

"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle." -Plato
#2 of 25 Old 10-23-2004, 02:52 AM

I am and I'm loving it! My last counselor was a flop- she compared raising kids to training a dog.

My current counselor is a homeschooler, LLL leader and mom to 6 kids. She completely understands me and she's just awesome. I couldn't dream up a better counselor. She's also cheap! She drives 40 minutes to our home for family counseling for only $90.

Anyway, I'm thrilled with working on my "issues". I'm tired of living with irrational fears and anxieties. I'm so willing to unload them. I also take a weekly evening class she holds at a friend's house based on the book "How To Talk....."

Christie

Vegan, homeschooling mom to my 3 boys and my girl, missing Matthew born still at 34 weeks

#3 of 25 Old 10-23-2004, 02:57 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for answering calmom. It does feel good to be working on the issues. My idea of what "normal" is , is so skewed...and I hear ya on the irrational fears and anxieties. I haven't had a panic attack in a long while, but I do remember them well. TB

#4 of 25 Old 10-23-2004, 11:17 AM

Moving this to Personal Growth...
#5 of 25 Old 10-23-2004, 12:00 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by calmom
My current counselor is a homeschooler, LLL leader and mom to 6 kids. She completely understands me and she's just awesome. I couldn't dream up a better counselor. She's also cheap! She drives 40 minutes to our home for family counseling for only $90.

Anyway, I'm thrilled with working on my "issues". I'm tired of living with irrational fears and anxieties. I'm so willing to unload them. I also take a weekly evening class she holds at a friend's house based on the book "How To Talk....."
Please tell me how to find such an angel! I would love, love, love someone to come to my home. That would make a huge difference in my kids' comfort with me being 'away' and dad caring for them. It's been extremely difficult for all concerned and no sign of things improving. Hard to have personal growth when little ones shout 'no!' for mom to be away even for a 50 minute hour.
#6 of 25 Old 10-24-2004, 10:05 AM

Big proponent of therapy here. I've been seeing the same therapist on and off for many years. I am not currently going b/c of $$ and lack of time, but I hope to. And in a perfect world I would go 1x/week just for tune-ups, as I like to call them!
#7 of 25 Old 10-24-2004, 10:52 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I love my therapist- although, sometimes I feel like I'm paying a friend to listen to me talk!
Annette

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#8 of 25 Old 10-25-2004, 12:56 AM - Thread Starter

I thought my thread just disappeared! Hi! Thanks for answering mamas. It's nice to know you are there. TB

#9 of 25 Old 10-27-2004, 11:51 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
I am too but it's hard. She is great but I've got some hard stuff to work through. I went about a decade ago but realize now it was only the beginning. It's hard to imagine what can happen if I really work this time.I want it and am scared at the same time.
#10 of 25 Old 10-27-2004, 12:00 PM

It is hard- there's something about being a mama that seems to push all the (right? wrong?) buttons, and even more so with having a daughter, at least for me.
Annette

Flowers, fairies, gardens, and rainbows-- Seasons of Joy: 10 weeks of crafts, handwork, painting, coloring, circle time, fairy tales, and more!
Check out the blog for family fun, homeschooling, books, simple living, and 6 fabulous children, including twin toddlers

#11 of 25 Old 10-27-2004, 04:03 PM

shantimama- The only way out is through...
#12 of 25 Old 10-27-2004, 04:51 PM

I know.....that doesn't stop me from trying to find another way though! I hate how slow it is and how much easier it is to think y way through it all instead of actually living it, know what I mean?
#13 of 25 Old 11-04-2004, 06:12 PM

This must be the right time or something. When I was in therapy in my twenties I had violent stomach cramps before every session and never really felt better. This time I look forward to the sessions and I am taking in more of what the therapist says and actually feel a glimmer of hope, even though I know I have an awful lot of work and healing to do. maybe I will make it through this!
#14 of 25 Old 11-04-2004, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shantimama
This must be the right time or something.
I'm having a very similar experience- like it's finally "taking", or maybe I've just finally grown up! (Naahhh....)

Annette

#15 of 25 Old 11-04-2004, 10:03 PM - Thread Starter

I think you are right about timing being important. I'm making alot more progress this time. What I don't like is the anger that comes welling up...really it scares me. And I don't like that things I thought I had already worked through and gotten over, come up all over again...only, it's the emotions that are coming up...do you know what I mean?

#16 of 25 Old 11-04-2004, 11:01 PM

I sure do know what you mean...... Hang in there. I can only handle little bits of feeling it at a time - I just have to take my therapist's word for it that I really will be okay. You will be too!
#17 of 25 Old 11-04-2004, 11:04 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, Shantimama. to you, too.

#18 of 25 Old 11-04-2004, 11:08 PM

I'm in counseling too. It's been helpful. I've also started a private online blog. That helps a little.
#19 of 25 Old 11-06-2004, 12:08 PM - Thread Starter

Hi, AnnMarie. I keep a regular journal. It does help. TB

#20 of 25 Old 11-06-2004, 03:57 PM

shanti-I completely know what you mean. I am realizing now that there are many things that I haven't dealt with fully and mothering, I think, brings much of this to the surface. I also believe that there are right times for things. Your body and soul know when things are okay to start working on.

Ditto the journal thing. I've kept a journal or diary almost my entire life (off and on at some points). And it does help. I've been remiss in my journalling since having children. I find, though, that I tend to use my journalling just for the negative stuff and emotions. So, I think that it would be more useful for me to start incorporating the good stuff into my journalling. Just like learning positive self-talk and stuff like that. Even though a journal can often be the safest way to explore some dark emotions, I find that I tend to ignore the good stuff or successes.

Hugs to everyone here...
#21 of 25 Old 11-06-2004, 10:41 PM

Hi mamas!

I have been so lucky to find a really good therapist! I'm working through so much stuff...all with the goal of self-love. From there, you can do anything!

This week my "homework" is to clean out my house and car, like in a serious way, getting rid of the clutter (and believe me, there's a LOT). Mainly with the purpose of creating a space I love and am loving in, instead of threatened by. I also realized I was recreating my childhood home with "stuff" everywhere!

Sounds so superficial, but where I am coming from with it, it's totally not. This is far more important than I realized, and far more difficult than I realized. I'd rather write here to you about it then actually do it.
#22 of 25 Old 02-22-2005, 10:09 AM - Thread Starter

Here we are!

I haven't seen my therapist since around November and I need to call her today and make an appointment. I am not ready to "graduate." Yet.

Had a big panic attack a bit ago and have been soooo weepy.

I don't know what I was thinking...or why I quit going. Sigh.

#23 of 25 Old 02-22-2005, 11:35 PM

I'm in therapy too, of course, you might realize this already with my own little thread about my newly uncovered bipolar disorder. Im going once a week and i really have a somewhat hard time. I dont know about this guy. sometimes i feel like he's just tired of hearing me (even tho it's only been a little over a month) or that he thinks he has all the answers. Im confused i guess. Is it me or what? i dont want to go through all the stuff to find another one. I'll hang in there and see.
My homework this week is to really really notice what i do good and commend myself honestly.
~L
#24 of 25 Old 02-23-2005, 01:35 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lauraess
I'm in therapy too, of course, you might realize this already with my own little thread about my newly uncovered bipolar disorder. Im going once a week and i really have a somewhat hard time. I dont know about this guy. sometimes i feel like he's just tired of hearing me (even tho it's only been a little over a month) or that he thinks he has all the answers. Im confused i guess. Is it me or what? i dont want to go through all the stuff to find another one. I'll hang in there and see.
My homework this week is to really really notice what i do good and commend myself honestly.
~L
Hi! Make a list of what you do good...that way you can SEE it.

#25 of 25 Old 02-28-2005, 09:42 PM

I've started seeing a therapist. I don't know. It's supposed to help me with my exams in May, but at the moment it's plunging deep into my childhood, & sometimes it feels too much.

Slight variant, my partner revealed to me last week that he had been seeing a counsellor, & tonight he told me that he is seeing the doctor to go on antidepressants. I feel like I have failed him, which is ridiculous because I *know* I haven't failed him, it is nothing to do with that (neither of our issues are to do with each other)...

Sorry, feeling very sad this evening.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page