Being treated for bipolar-support please - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#61 of 80 Old 04-03-2005, 09:32 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Jaime: Good that you are getting treated and finding some help. I'd suggest just from my experience that therapy more often is needed, but i forget what the particulars of your situation was and why you didnt go more, so excuse.
My dr.(therapsit) says i have type II as well. He describes it as more of a personality thing. still trying to understand this which is funny since i always thought i was good at Pshych stuff. I keep thinking they just want to give me drugs and see if they work --- which is what they do anyway--- and to some extent this is true. I desperately needed help. such ambivilance at times about this whole med issue. For me it's hard because i dont want to put this stuff in me At ALL and yet i know i had to try something.
I'll have to file that away, the info about the connection to pcos-- since of course im a woman and hey anything could happen, right?
They started you on 1000mg Depakote? I thought usually they started lower and increased gradually?? Im still on 750 mg.
~L
#62 of 80 Old 04-03-2005, 11:21 PM

my experience with Li has been good. You need to drink ALLOT of water, decreased sex drive and at high doses some hand tremors.
has anyone ever had a brain scan to diagnose bipolar? I saw a great PBS show on it, but never have known anyone to have one.
#63 of 80 Old 04-04-2005, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowantree
decreased sex drive
Great! That's something to look forward to!
#64 of 80 Old 04-04-2005, 11:43 AM

lauraess-

I was started on 500mg of depakote for 3 days, then 750mg for 3 days and then up to 1000mg after a week. I am now still on the 1000mg and have been for the last 5-6 weeks.

After I hear back from the psychiatrist today I'll start on Lithium . . . I believe she said 500mg day and night. I'll have to ask to make sure.

I don't feel funny at all about taking these meds . . . is that weird??? Psychiatric problems run in my family . . . dad is BP type I, sister has general anxiety disorder, mom had PPD and then general depressive disorder. So for me to have something was not a suprise.
#65 of 80 Old 04-04-2005, 06:54 PM

Hello, I'm new to this forum. I'm not diagnosed with any psychiatric disorder, but that's only because I never go to the doctor. I've struggled with anxiety and depression on and off for years.

Anyway, I just wanted to share some info that might be of help to some of you, depending on your viewpoints about how the body works. First I'll just say that although I have never taken meds, most of my family is or has (for bp, depression, and anxiety). So I totally understand the need for them. But I wanted to share some energetic medicine techniques that could be potentially very helpful for those with bp.

The first link is about a technique that I personally have experienced and had wonderful success with. I've also experienced great results with homeopathy.

http://www.neuromodulationtechnique.com/whatis.cfm

This link is for a technique I've only heard good things about from my dad ( cured my dad of post traumatic stress)

http://www.emdrportal.com/2003/2003-10-08b.htm

And this one I haven't tried, but it comes highly recommended from a close freind:

http://www.bambergercenter.com/neuro..._technique.htm

I'm having major trouble now as a result of severe stress in my life, so I will be seeking conventional help for the first time in my life. I've never had therapy, so I'm a little afraid. But I need it. And I can't afford any of the fancy insurance-unpaid techniques I listed above at the moment. I wish I could.
#66 of 80 Old 04-12-2005, 05:31 PM

update on my taking my meds into my own hands... I cut back 200 mg of seroquel to 100 mg a day, sometimes not taking it at all. I definatley was feeling hypo manic and I know Im going back to the dr soon so I started taking 200mg again and will probably increase to 300 before getting to dr so my bloodwork doesnt comeout all fucked up. The problem is that now Im feeling all depressed, mostly cause the seroquel is strong and makes me out of it...this is why we're weaning me off of it. I really hate the way it feels but I dont know as I really should be feeling hypo manic either. Because of the Lithium and lamictal I dont feel like I would go totally phscho Like I was before meds, but still.
#67 of 80 Old 04-13-2005, 01:37 AM - Thread Starter

Rowantree: glad you checked in here. no-one has been posting. Where are you all???
When you say You'll be going to the dr. soon again, when was the last time? just wondering as I do hope you are keeping the lines of communication open and honest with her. Are you doing that? It's just too risky i think to go it alone.
Just concerned.
~L
#68 of 80 Old 04-13-2005, 12:51 PM

I dunno lauraess, I go once a month and I would have gone today but i have a sick 5 year old. Im going to start taking my perscribed dose again so I dont 'get caught' not taking the seroquel BUT I am going to tell her that I need to go off the seroquel nsooner than later. One other thing that half worries me and half feels good is that I went back to work...the Dr said I should never work nights, that my mood swings would come back if I did even if I was medicated BUT we are broke, like turned off the phone, eating beans and rice 5xs a week broke and I had no choice, If I worked days Id make half as much money and have to put the kids in daycare- not a choice in my mind. I cant get SSI because when Im medicated Im functional...I also 'cant' work without losing my health care, we'll have to see what happens.
#69 of 80 Old 04-13-2005, 01:09 PM

I'm still here. I've just been busy. I go back to see my doctor today and to have labs drawn to check my lithium levels. I'm going to tell my doc that I don't want to continue the lithium. It worked well for my dad so they wanted to try me on it but, at only 600mg a day, I don't like the side effects already. The trembling hands . . . the having to pee 3 times a night. Plus, the lithium in itself scares me. I'm also still on the Depakote but my doc would like me off that since there is a connection between Depakote and PCOS (PolyCystic Ovariam Syndrome- have I said this before??) and no one knows the effects of taking Depakote if you ALREADY have PCOS.

I guess today I'll talk to my doc and see wht other choices are out there. I really want to avoid anything that will make me gain a lot of weight. I already have weight issues due to the PCOS. I don't want to add to them with medication for my bi-polar.
#70 of 80 Old 04-17-2005, 04:46 PM

I feel so good that I found this thread. Today I was wondering if there were any other Bipolar Mama’s here in the forum, and TADA here you all are. So many of your posts have brought up issues I have dealt with since I was diagnosed 10 years ago.
Threw my journey of depression/bipolar I decided it’s been more of a blessing than a curse. I like the way I think, how my brain comes to ideas on a different path than others. It hasn’t come without it’s sorrow though. Threw high school I was labeled “lazy” and threw elementary they thought I was learning disabled. I am neither. I scored very high on my SATS and I have a high IQ. It took until just a few years ago for me not to believe that I am stupid. I was always afraid to share my point of view for fear of being laughed at.
I have created a world for me. I know to some it may show as being selfish. But to keep my sanity I have to live “my life” and I had to create a system where I was being taking care of so that I can properly care for my child. Things like I can’t wear a watch. It makes me nervous, and I keep thinking I can do this faster, like I am in an imaginary race. I make sure I am on time for appointments, and picking my daughter up and dropping her to school, but I can’t wear a watch. I have to keep my life organized. I have a strong need to know where everything is. Not that everything in my house is neat, I have messes too, but I keep certain things in certain places every time. If not when I go to get scissors for a task and don’t find them there, I will look for them, but find something else then start another task ignoring the fact that I needed scissors in the first place. Then I remember the scissors look for them again, and start yet another task. In the end, there might be several undone tasks all over the place. lol. With nothing getting done.
I have little things that make me happy, so I make sure I do those things for myself. (These are all personal traits for me, some might make you laugh). When my hair looks good, my whole world seems different. I get a high from it. Which is slightly funny since I am pretty no nonsense and go without makeup and can get ready for my day in 10 minutes. So since this makes me feel more together I get my hair done 4 times a year by somebody who I LOVE but costs more than I like to spend. I can maintain it over the 3 months, and I feel good.
Essential oils have been a HUGE part of my life for a long time now. I carry them with me in my purse for a little pick me up. Grapefruit and lime put me into just a good mood. I start my day with those.
Before I run away with my thoughts I wanted to comment on some of the posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arwyn
There is hope.
Meds aren't the complete answer. You have to take charge, you have to be determined to take back your life, you have to make the changes, get the regular sleep, nurture your body and your spirit and your soul, and yes, you may have to take the meds. For many of us, the rest of it won't work without them. I've seen my brother, my amazing, wonderful, intelligent, athiest brother, go off his meds and within two months be trying to tell us how he could prove the existence of God using the number 3. If meds are what it takes, you deserve the meds! You deserve a good life. You deserve sanity and health.
I really agreed with everything stated above. Meds aren’t the complete answer, there is so much hard work added with medication that can help. I happen to be a person who takes meds off and on (with the help of my Doctor). I dated somebody whom without his meds could do serious damage to himself and others, so for him going off meds is just not a option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotusdebi
Pregnancy was absolute hell for me. I lost my mind. I was psychotic much of the time. I was suicidal. I was sometimes a danger to others. More than once, I considered having an abortion just so I could get back to my usual mood swings, instead of the constant psychosis. About halfway through my pregnancy, I set fire to the living room. Pregnancy is not good for me. Believe me, those experiences have seriously affected my plans for future children. I'm not saying I won't have more kids, but I may put my son in daycare if I do get pregnant again. At the very least, I'll have a friend stay with me to babysit me and my son.
I found comfort in this post, (not your situation) because I felt like this too. Being pregnant was really hard on my mental health. It felt like a black hole I couldn’t dig out of. But it was also very off and on. Black hole week-high on life week-black hole month-high again. I really thought I was going crazy. Thinking sometimes that it had nothing to do with being bipolar, but that I was seriously going off the deep end in my head. Fear of never coming back.
My BIG mistake during this time, was not sharing this with anybody. I thought that my feelings during this time had more to do with my situation (being single, leaving dd’s Dad during my pregnancy) than it had to do with my mental health. Reaching out for help was something I was never afraid to do, but not during my pregnancy, and it was worse after I had her. I kept it all in a tight ball inside until I started having very serious panic attacks when ever I would leave my home. I started therapy again. My therapist attached PTSD to my situation and my trigger for the panic attacks was my daughters first birthday. When I started to do research on bipolar and pregnancy I found so much information that could have helped, I wish I would have been in tune with myself during that time. I have questioned if I should plan another pregnancy in my future, but I would love to be pregnant again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by candiland
Do you guys have the issue of no one believing that you're bipolar, or that bipolar actually exists?
<snip>
Do you guys deal with this? I hate the scrutiny... I can almost feel one of my best friends think to herself, "Hmm, everyone gets in bad moods, get over yourself."
YEP! I have dealt with this from friends and family at times. I have a friend who is a therapist who said to me once she just didn’t “buy” my diagnosis of bipolar. The person that I am I rarely show my demons while in public or being social. I used to believe this was me creating a fake profile of myself, but I have come to terms with it’s a protection for me. I get very jazzed to be social (with friends, not in public). I shine at these times, I am rarely depressed, maybe a little manic, so to most finding out that I am bipolar would seem wrong. So I share the information with some, most I don’t. Not out of fear, but out of not wanting to have a long drawn out discussion about it.
When I was diagnosed I was living in a house with 5 of my friends. When I went for help and was told I am bipolar they were all relieved. Because they had been watching me for months (a couple of them I lived with for 2 years) and they had seen my mood swings.

Quote:
Do you guys listen to your dr? do you do as you please? I never have listened to my drs, I fly off and on meds as i see fit...but I really like this dr and I trust her, but I am dull - Im not me, and I miss me, IM FUN and I stay up PAST 7:30 and I LIKE SEX and I wake up at 6 feeling good, I have things to talk about to people. and I havent felt any of those things in a long time, Im tired and dull, I have nothing interesting to say. I WANT ME BACK. so what do I do?
When I was first diagnosed I was put on depecote. I stayed on it for over a year, and watched as I slowly felt like a different person, and I hated this new person. After serious thought on the matter, I weaned myself off of the drugs. Alerted my family, and a couple of close friends that I had stopped my medication and that if they became worried about my behavior at anytime to PLEASE tell me. I started to journal more seriously and watch myself. At this time I was beginning to use cognitive behavior without knowing that was what I was doing. Later when I started therapy again, my therapist asked me how I was dealing with my moods and thoughts. When I told her what I did, she said “Oh so you use cognitive behavior therapy, and I said “What’s that?”. lol.
It’s not easy, and I don’t like recommending it to other people because I don’t know how they are off of medication. I would hate to recommend something that has helped me so much, yet could hurt another persons well being. But when I was on depecote I was different, I didn’t have energy, I didn’t feel my buzz for being creative, I didn’t want to be with other people. All these issues added up made me a different person, and I wanted me back.
I lived about 6 years med free using methods of cognitive behavior, but in the Summer of 2004 I started 150 mg of Effexor a day. With this medication I feel like me, and I feel much more stable.
Sometimes it isn’t a case of “no medication” but the “right” medication. Which can take years, but in the end, finding something that works personally for you, is a Godsend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsMoMpls
There is no test. There are tests which might give a clinician more information to confirm their suspicion but it really isn't as "scientific" as we would all like. Honestly there are a number of symptoms which occur together which suggest bipolar and for most psychiatrists, they believe that if they prescribe a mood stablizer (lithium, depokote, etc.) and it helps- then it is bipolar disorder. Wish we had something clearer.
You can have a brain scan done. Which if your insurance doesn’t approve of can cost several thousand dollars. In some cities there are clinical trials that use brain scans so if you are lucky to live in an area where medical research is done you could have a brain scan for free if you are in the study. I live in Pittsburgh and they have many trials going on all the time. I have yet to fit the criteria for any, but maybe someday. If you live near Chicago you can contact the DBSA (Depression and Bipolar Support Alliance), they are always doing studies. So you could learn more about yourself, AND in the process be helping with future information on bipolar.

I didn’t plan on writing so much. Just so excited to find this thread. Feeling very blessed to have found everybody here.

-Janna, independent mother of dd, Ms. Mattie Sky born on my 25th birthday, 06*23*2000. My Mama Feb.21,1938-Sept.10,2006
#71 of 80 Old 04-17-2005, 05:57 PM

I'm still here, still pokin' around. For the most part, just been goofin' off in TAO.

First, though, I want to say:

Janna!!

I'm glad you found us, and I'm flattered you liked what I had to say.

More on my saga: I'm down to 500mg/day, with another week of that, then the final step of 250mg/day for three weeks, then no more! I'm really doing amazingly well, considering. I think it really helped that spring has sprung, there's a lot more sunlight, and Gary and I are getting better at keeping up with the dailies (housekeeping, eating healthy food at home, etc.). The biggest amazement is that I went a full 34 hours with no sleep (due to a hip problem), and didn't go any more crazy than a "normal" sleep deprived person would. I find this highly encouraging, as abnormal sleep patterns have historically been one of my most dependable triggers of unbalanced mood episodes. I've since gone back to my normal 11pm-8am sleep pattern (after one night of 12 hours: I did have a lot to make up for!), so that makes me happy.

Umm... I don't really have any more to add right now, mostly 'cause I'm trying to get this homework assignment done and multitasking still isn't my forte.

I'll keep checking in, though, so don't forget someone who cares is here! (Ok ok, I'm in a slightly sappy mood. forgive me!)
#72 of 80 Old 04-17-2005, 06:24 PM

hello,
just thought that as a therapist in training, and learning about all the different meds and schools of thought about therapy, there are therapies that use medication when necessary, but not as a first resort. one type of therapy that seems to me to be very respectful and empowering (and i have experienced it personally as well) is narrative. it has alternative views about bp that you might be interested in. michael white is the founder if you are searching it on the net. good luck.
#73 of 80 Old 04-17-2005, 11:08 PM - Thread Starter

Welcome jANNA! i AM GLAD YOU FOUND US! your input is greatly appreciated. You sound like a wonderful person, with a lot in common with me! Your child was born on your b.day!? wow!! that is so neat!!!
To Arwyn: Good to hear all is well, except your hip, the meds changing is going well... keep studying and keeping us posted.
Deb: Thanks for the names : Michael White and Narrative therapy: I'm going to check this out.
~L
#74 of 80 Old 04-18-2005, 02:47 PM

Thank you Arwyn & Lauraess for the welcomes.

I have joined a couple of groups online in the past for people
dealing with bipolar, but never Mama's. It's always usually
single people only. So it's nice to meet Mothers who can relate.

-Janna, independent mother of dd, Ms. Mattie Sky born on my 25th birthday, 06*23*2000. My Mama Feb.21,1938-Sept.10,2006
#75 of 80 Old 04-19-2005, 12:01 AM

I'm kind of a bipolar momma. My son age 4.5 was diagnosed with childhood bipolar disorder a year or so ago. He was adopted from birth and has a family history of bipolar (birthmother, birthaunt, birthgrandma). I had no idea there was a Mental Health forum until tonight.
I just wanted to drop in and say that I was reading the thread and just wanted to commend all of you women for your courage. I have two very close friends that are bipolar, and I know that both have struggled with taking medication. (one is currently on no meds while pregnant)
My son, though I say with hesitation is stable. I hope it continues. He does not have acute depression but he does have manic states, rapid cycles and has rage. He is on some of the meds that some of you mentioned, he takes Depakote (2 Depakore ER 250mg and one regular Depakore 125mg), Trileptal (300mg) and he takes Tenex. He also takes melatonin and omega-3.
Luckily he has not experienced any of the harsh side effects that come with Depakote. His hair hasn't fallen out and he's not had any weight issues (or digestive issues) at all. His one side effect from this med is that it makes him extrememly hyper (happens to less than 5% of those who take it) and that is why he takes the Tenex. The Tenex combined with the Depakote balance this out and he has done quite well with it. We hope to wean him off the Trileptal this summer when he has had a longer period of stability. Even though my son is little, he is very mature and can definitely verbalize when he feels "mania" coming on or if his meds aren't working right.
#76 of 80 Old 04-19-2005, 09:01 AM

just alittle update, you may remember that I was toying with the idea of going off the seroquelbefore I had a chance to talk to pdoc. Well I DID end up doing that and other than alittle tiny hypo-mania I have been fine. The worst part is some of my anxiety came back which is why I wanted to get the seroquel back into my system before seeing the dr (i didnt want to get yelled at). so 2 days ago I started the seroquel again and I HATE it, I've gaINED 7 pounds in 2 days, I cant wake up in the mornin, I have that horrible taste in my mouth all day long....im wicked bummed! I goto the Pdoc on thursday, Im going to BEG her to take me off it. Thats my update.

Also want to say WELCOME to all the new mammas here!

ALSO want to ask if we should maybe start a fresh thread at some point and the regularly start a new thread at the beginning of the month or something. just a suggestion.
#77 of 80 Old 04-19-2005, 09:12 AM - Thread Starter

Rowantree, well, sounds like that is terribly yucky to gain 7 pounds in 2 days and awful taste and all that. I suffer with not wanting to get up in the morning on the depakote. I figure as long as I can manage, since my dd is basically jumping on me , it's okay. I split up the doses to try to help some of that but man, I could sleep till 12!
I think you're right. I never see the obvious! we SHOULD start a new thread. How about right now! Going to it.....
LOOK FOR BIPOLAR THREAD
~L
#78 of 80 Old 04-19-2005, 03:00 PM

lauraess I know you said you were starting a new thread, but I wanted
to ask rowan a question from her reply.

Quote:
just alittle update, you may remember that I was toying with the idea of going off the seroquelbefore I had a chance to talk to pdoc. Well I DID end up doing that and other than alittle tiny hypo-mania I have been fine. The worst part is some of my anxiety came back which is why I wanted to get the seroquel back into my system before seeing the dr (i didnt want to get yelled at). so 2 days ago I started the seroquel again and I HATE it, I've gaINED 7 pounds in 2 days, I cant wake up in the mornin, I have that horrible taste in my mouth all day long....im wicked bummed! I goto the Pdoc on thursday, Im going to BEG her to take me off it. Thats my update.
When I have started a new medication I try to stick it out, threw the side effects for at least 6-8 weeks. Yeah sucks huh. My reason is I have never
felt the benefit until about 4 weeks, and then the bad side effects sometimes move on. Like last Summer when I started the Effexor, the first two weeks were NUTS One night my brother was over and we were watching TV and I had just taken my dose, I was talking so fast laughing at nothing, he was entertained but then he said "Um, maybe you should go to sleep". With Effexor I did feel the good effects with in about 3 weeks, it's been great for me. But the bad side effects I still live with some days. Especially if I miss a dose, my WHOLE next day will be messed up. But I have to weight the good and the bad, and the good outweighs the bad.
Ask you Doctor about some new medication options for you, but try to forget about those bad side effects for 4-6 weeks, before wanting to try something else. I have quit so many medications within a couple weeks cause of side effects, I wish I would have stuck it out.

#79 of 80 Old 04-19-2005, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trinity6232000
When I have started a new medication I try to stick it out, threw the side effects for at least 6-8 weeks. Yeah sucks huh. My reason is I have never
felt the benefit until about 4 weeks, and then the bad side effects sometimes move on. Like last Summer when I started the Effexor, the first two weeks were NUTS One night my brother was over and we were watching TV and I had just taken my dose, I was talking so fast laughing at nothing, he was entertained but then he said "Um, maybe you should go to sleep". With Effexor I did feel the good effects with in about 3 weeks, it's been great for me. But the bad side effects I still live with some days. Especially if I miss a dose, my WHOLE next day will be messed up. But I have to weight the good and the bad, and the good outweighs the bad.
Ask you Doctor about some new medication options for you, but try to forget about those bad side effects for 4-6 weeks, before wanting to try something else. I have quit so many medications within a couple weeks cause of side effects, I wish I would have stuck it out.

Just for clarification Ive been on these drugs(seroquel) for almost a year...I AM switching to Lamictal its just not going fast enough for me!
#80 of 80 Old 04-19-2005, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Just for clarification Ive been on these drugs(seroquel) for almost a year...I AM switching to Lamictal its just not going fast enough for me!
Ahhhhhh, okay. Still . Sending my good energy
to you. Changing meds is a tough journey. Okay off
to the new thread :

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page