Wellbutrin and Nursing? OK? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 02-17-2005, 03:11 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Is OK for me to be taking this antidepressant and nurse?? If not can someone reccommend a med similar to this that is OK to take??
#2 of 6 Old 02-17-2005, 10:12 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
It should be fine. Here's what Dr Hale has to say about it: http://neonatal.ama.ttuhsc.edu/discu...tml?1106082985

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19 (in Israel for another school year), Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 12(homeschooled)
#3 of 6 Old 02-18-2005, 12:08 AM

Honestly, none of the antidepressants (and they really are more alike than not) have been shown to have any negative effects, it is just that there hasn't been enough time or research to prove it. Welbutrin has been around a long time and used a lot. If it is helping, I would stick with it.

Maureen
#4 of 6 Old 02-18-2005, 04:54 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks mamas!! I called the pediatrician about it and they said it was OK. So, I called my internist and he said that it is OK to take but he doesn't reccommend it since there are no studies in breastfeeding women. I was considering trying to get off of it anyway. So, we are going to try it. I did let my DH know, so if I start falling back he will let me know, if I don't realize it.

The thinks what threw me into depression are no longer factors so I am hoping and praying that I can do this!! I would love to be free from myself AND free from drugs. KWIM!? But I defenately DO NOT want to feel the way I did before Wellburtin.

Wish me luck!!

Kelley
#5 of 6 Old 02-21-2005, 03:16 AM

Doctors have to tell you not to take it- cause they can not ethically do studies on children like that- right- oh lets see if this hurts a kid- right!
But as you see here many moms take many different medications- and they do not hurt their baby while bfing.
Just my two cents.
I would go with dr. hales book.
And if he oks it and your babe seems fine- he is fine.
Emilie
GOod luck tho if that is what you want to do!
#6 of 6 Old 02-21-2005, 07:14 PM - Thread Starter

The whole reason why I asked in the first place was because I noticed a difference in his temperment when I didn't or forgot to take it. Granted, he was in a much better mood when I did take it and all.. it obviously is effecting his personality, and I don't want to continue to "feed" it to him if I can live without it! We are going to give it a go and if things start going 'downhill' I will get back on it! I definately dont want to go that route again!

All the doctors I talked with all said it was fine to take. ALL OF THEM!! But my internest is alway so personable and honest with me and when I asked what he would suggest for his self (if he were me) he said that he would try to do with out it. I am greatful he is honest. My pediatrician and OB all said no problem taking it, but I was interested it trying to do without it anyway. Since, as I said before, all those factors that caused it are no longer a factor!!

Thanks for the info mammas!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page