Natural Remedy for anxiety? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 06-17-2005, 07:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi! Is there something homeopathic or natural that I can take to help ease my anxiety. I have an anxiety disorder- it has been great for the last few years but it's starting to creep back up again. I'm bfing so I don't want to take anything too harsh. Does anyone know what is safe for me to take and that will work while I"m bfing?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-17-2005, 07:45 PM

Try Bach's Rescue Remedy.
It comes in cream and drops, but I can only speak for the drops: they work GREAT.
Old 06-17-2005, 08:33 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamamillie
Try Bach's Rescue Remedy.
It comes in cream and drops, but I can only speak for the drops: they work GREAT.
Leaving for the drug store now! Thanks!
Old 06-18-2005, 10:06 AM

I add some motherwort to my herb tea. It works wonders!
Old 06-18-2005, 10:08 AM

I second the resue remedy

perhaps talking with a naturopath about St John's Wort. I am still breastfeeding and were taking the supplment to help with some anxiety that I was experiencing.

Good Luck
Old 06-18-2005, 12:18 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I go to a holistic chiropractor and he gave me these drops that I can take up to 4 times a day called EEP(forgot the maker) it's all natural and he said he's taken people off of major anti-anxiety and anti-depressent medication like Paxil and Prozac.

Sarah

Mama to girl (11), boy (7) and girl (4).  "Can't we all just get along?" joy.gif
Old 06-22-2005, 03:46 AM

So gald I lurked. I got my Lexapro prescription filled 3 weeks ago...can't muster the nerve to take them. : Wrote it all down. Will hit up the Nat store tomarrow. THX!
Old 06-22-2005, 04:30 PM

I am in search of something for my anxiety as well. Last night one of my friends recommended a magnesium supplement called "Calm." She's going to bring me a pamphlet on it tomorrow.

I'm so glad I found this thread. Now I have other ideas from you all. :

Jen - Mama to V (b. 2-18-09) and AJ (b. 10-9-11) Wife to DH

Old 07-11-2005, 09:23 PM

Another one is GABA.
Old 07-12-2005, 06:32 PM

Right now I am reading Alternative Cures by Bill Gottlieb. I highly recommend trying all the alternative stuff you can but, I have a hard time with natural doctors that feel their way is the only way. I have tried really hard to manage my symptoms with diet, exercise, supplements, and behavior modification all have helped so much. However, I am considering that it may be time for traditional medication. So try everything you can just don't suffer.

Anxiety & Panic Attacks
Relaxation-yoga & breathing
Kava Kava
Relaxation tea w/ valarium
Positive thinking

Depression
5-HTP
SAM-E
Fatty Acids- omega-3, DHA & EPA
St. John's Wort
Magnet Therapy
Natural Light
Exercise
Music
Old 07-31-2005, 05:53 PM

Wow! I'm glad I found this thread! I've suffered from an anxiety disorder for years. After being a guinea pig for almost any drug there is out there, I finally couldn't take the side effects and the pill popping and the wasted money anymore. I took myself of of all medication a year ago.

Anyways, it's great to not be pharmeceutically dependant any longer. I found Bachs Rescue Remedy, and that's helping tremendously. I will try the other suggestions as well...

thanks for this thread!
Old 08-05-2005, 05:06 AM

I'm glad I lurked too. I love rescue remedy-I should buy it in bulk. I sometimes take a skullcap tincture-that and lots and lots of cups of cammomile tea. Lately 've also been taking 400 mg of magnesium. I have noticed a difference.

RN, Tree-huggin, chicken-raisin'chicken3.gif, mountain climbing, yoga attempting namaste.gif Mama to Miss Areading.gif (10) and Miss K joy.gif(8). Newly re-married wife to DHpartners.gif We're pregnant!!belly.gifExpecting our new little addition this November!

Old 08-07-2005, 11:02 AM

I second (or third) Rescue Remedy.
I have the spray and use it about every 15 minutes when I'm having anxiety.
Skullcap tincture or tea works really well too, but I can't take that during the day because it makes me too sleepy.

I've tried just about all the natural remedies out there and those two work the best for me.

Good luck!
Old 08-08-2005, 12:15 AM

I am so happy I found this thread. I have suffered with anxiety (as have all the women in my family) for years. It has been under control until about 4 weeks ago. Under tons of stress....selling house, moving from GA to NY, finding house, going back to work full time, daycare, not enough $....I could go on, but I don't want to cause a panic attack

Anyway, dh, dd and I are staying with my parents for a few weeks and I totally broke down this evening to my Mom. Hysterical. I am just so fed up with the power this anxiety has over me. I hate it! I told her that if I weren't BFing, I would get an Rx for something. She gave me her therapists number and I am going to call in the morning, but I am so excited to try the Rescus Remedy and other supplements in addition.

One of my major physical symptoms is palpitations (checked out by doc., EKG fine). Has anyone had relief from this with the Rescue Remedy? This is the one symptom I just can't handle, and it's the one I am having the most of right now....go figure!

I hate it that all of us have this issue because it is so hard, but I'm glad to know that I'm not alone! Thanks for sharing!

Happy Mommy to one amazing girl (6y) and one sweet boy (2y), and wife to DH since 7/03 : :
Old 08-08-2005, 12:28 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Stephanie,
Here's a hug!

I'm having a little meltdown tonight as well. Maybe I'll head to the natural store in the morning.

Keep your chin up!
Old 08-08-2005, 12:45 AM

Philomom....thanks for the kind words! I will pm you a pic of Hannah when the dust settles here......hope you are well (besides the melting).

Stephanie

Happy Mommy to one amazing girl (6y) and one sweet boy (2y), and wife to DH since 7/03 : :
Old 08-08-2005, 12:52 AM

thanks for the info!! does the rescue relief work right away, or do yu have to take it for awhile??
Old 08-08-2005, 01:45 AM

Have you had your hormone levels checked? Anxiety can be a symptom of low progesterone and/or low thyroid. I was having some anxiety, and had my hormone levels checked. I had quite low progesterone and low thyroid My doctor precribed me natural bio-identical progesterone that I had made for me at a compounding pharmacy. It comes in a cream that you apply to the skin. She also prescribed a natural thyroid pill. It has worked wonders. I really feel so much better. I also take a magnesium and b-complex supplement.
Old 08-08-2005, 05:38 AM

Whitney, it works right away. Like magic. And it works great for for kids, too.
Old 08-08-2005, 10:07 AM

just wanted to add that something that has helped me a great deal is drinking fennel tea. Whenever I start feeling the panic and anxiety, I make up a large batch and drink it throughout the day.....
Old 08-08-2005, 10:14 AM

My favorites are Kava and skullcap, Though calcium/magnesium is good to take every day. When i feel a panic attack coming on i reach for the Rescue Remedy, it works wonders.

Whatever will be, already is...

Old 08-08-2005, 10:36 AM

I've dealt with an anxiety disorder for many years. I had a therapist suggest Valerian Root...I take it twice a day, and it works wonderfully at controlling my anxiety. It smells really awful, but it works!

For sudden anxiety attacks, I keep a bottle of Rescue Remedy spray in my purse.

Every baptized Christian is, or should be, someone with an actual (disturbing) experience, ... a close encounter, with God; someone who, as a result, becomes a disturbing presence to others. - Fr. Anthony J. Gittins, A Presence That Disturbs
Old 08-16-2005, 08:35 PM

:

Wife to one. Mama to 5.
Old 08-18-2005, 06:20 PM

: mom to one 12-year-old waterborn ball of fire :
Old 08-19-2005, 01:09 PM

This thread is helpful. Can any of these be taken when you are pregnant (the rescue remedy, valerian root, etc)?
Old 08-20-2005, 11:24 AM

Question about St. John's Wort - I know it can help with depression, but what if your depression comes with anxiety/panic? I read that one of the side effects of SJW is restlessness. A person with anxiety/panic certainly doesn't need that. I have been thinking about SJW and even bought some, but I'm a little afraid of the side effects.
Old 09-16-2005, 08:09 AM

soapgoddess!!!!! you said 'natural thyroid pill' what is this?

proverbs 29:7 the righteous care about justice for the poor, but the wicked have no such concern.

Old 09-16-2005, 11:06 AM

Ediesmom, I use Armour Thyroid. It's a natural thyroid replacement. You can read more at www.armourthyroid.com.
Old 09-19-2005, 03:17 PM

I have also had great results with a homeopathic remedy called Argentum Nitricum (for anxiety, fear & panic attacks).

I have had great results using Argentum Nitricum & Rescue Remedy at the same time when I have felt my heart starting to race.

I have also used the essential oil, Frankincense, and I just hold the bottle under my nose & smell it in. It has a calming effect on the emotions.
Old 09-19-2005, 03:20 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Along with Rescue Remedy, figuring out which of the Bach Flower Remedies is most approriate for you can help to treat the underlying emotional cause.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19 (in Israel for another school year), Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 12(homeschooled)

User Tag List