Oh lord.. please tell me the truth... - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 06-23-2005, 01:22 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have been officially med free for 6 months (was on Wellbutrin for 2 yrs., nursing and decided to not take them while nursing... have done VERY well until about a month ago).. but am finding myself VERY short with my kids and getting some weird visuals. Visuals meaning..

On the way home from ball practice I was driving down the interstate and realized that the back passanger door was adgar... Not an issue, because my 4yr old that NORMALLY sits there decided to go with his dad. DS3 was in the car seat in the middle of car. OK.. so I immediately get this visual of ds2 (that usually sits there) falling out of the car at 75MHP and rolling on the ground and getting run over by the car behind.. I am seeing this in my head. Yet seeing it as if I am outside of the vehicle. Like a bad dream or a nightmare. Weird I know..

I have been getting night visuals as well. Like people coming into my house to slit my throat! Crazy, eh!? I HAVE to have my covers over my throat to "protect" myself or I can not get to sleep..

OMG this sounds so completely wacked! But I need some help here... I am losing sleep and it is disrupting my life.

Do I need to be on meds or should I see a counselor?
#2 of 13 Old 06-23-2005, 06:59 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
What else in your life is different? Have there been any changes that could bring about great stress? If so, counseling may help.
#3 of 13 Old 06-23-2005, 07:01 PM - Thread Starter

nope.. nothing different.

I did start a small business but wes dyeing anyway to keep my mind busy. So that has not really changed... other than that, nothing has changed.
#4 of 13 Old 06-23-2005, 07:54 PM

You don't sound whacked You do sound like you might have an anxiety disorder. How you treat that, ie. with meds or not is up to you. I take Zoloft and it makes a big difference for me.

Driving is a trigger for lots of people. I used to always visualize hitting pedestrians or sometimes getting in an accident and my son being hurt. I would drive home thinking over and over again "oh, god, let me get home safe this one time and I promise to never get in the car again." It sucked.

I would definitely talk to someone.
#5 of 13 Old 06-23-2005, 08:12 PM - Thread Starter

I have been using my DH as my therapist. He listens but sometimes gives me weird looks when I tell him about the visuals. Of course, someone who has never experienced them, thinks it is a bit weird! LOL

I think I will call my Dr.... thanks for your input!
#6 of 13 Old 06-23-2005, 08:24 PM

I get visions like that occasionally, but I don't actually feel fear except for a split second. I thought it just came with motherhood, to be honest. Unless they are really interfering with your life, or causing you a lot of anxiety, i wouldnt worry too much.
#7 of 13 Old 06-30-2005, 02:36 AM

sphinx> I think with motherhood it is normal to get them like you describe, in a split second and not bothersome once you realize what they are. However, what mom to 3 boys is describing really sounds like it could be an anxiety disorder or simialr. especially since she was on meds; the mental illness factor play's in big time. Just to be sure it's wise to seek counseling.
~L
#8 of 13 Old 06-30-2005, 02:51 AM

whoops - right, somehow i didn't make that connection. i agree.
#9 of 13 Old 06-30-2005, 06:19 PM

That does sound like a panic attack. I've personally noticed I get more stuff like that when I'm hormonally out-of-whack.
#10 of 13 Old 06-30-2005, 08:39 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamakay
That does sound like a panic attack. I've personally noticed I get more stuff like that when I'm hormonally out-of-whack.

That is a good point. I noticed that it is worse during different times... in other words.. it isn't all the time.

I have an appointment to see my doctor in 2 weeks. So we will get to the bottom of this.
#11 of 13 Old 08-07-2005, 10:34 AM

I've been suffering from images like these since my first DD was about 18 months old. I think her night-weaning is what did it for me. The major hormonal fluctuation of me not nursing all night really f***ed up my system. I've never really been the same since.

My psychiatrist told me I had pure-obsessional OCD. She said that these thoughts are normal (contrary to popular belief), but the difference with me is that I can't stop thinking them. They give me horrible anxiety. I'm doing better now as I know that no matter what I do I can't stop them. Just because I'm imagining these things does NOT mean they will happen. It's a hard lesson to learn I think.

I haven't been on meds since before I got pg with #3, but I was taking Paxil CR which I don't think helped all that much.
I've found that Rescue Remedy works just as well and you can use it as often as you want.
Also, my midwife swears by prescription natural progesterone cream.
I've been using that to combat PPD after this last baby's birth and I think it's helping.

Good luck!
#12 of 13 Old 08-22-2005, 11:23 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Ihave visuals like that all the time. they don't sound all that abnormal to me but then I have been thinking I may be further from normal than I htought. I know I have anxiety issues. it might be worse than I thought. hormonal swings definitely make them worse (I wouldn't be able to get through another pregnancy without medications for anxiety).

anyway, just so you wil nkow your not alone. I erad your post about the door and thought "well what else sould run through your mind". and my mind wonders to scary places at night too so that didn't even faze me when you said that. Thise things are p[erfectly normal to me. healthy guess not but definitely not to far outside normal.

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

#13 of 13 Old 08-24-2005, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilyka
Ihave visuals like that all the time. they don't sound all that abnormal to me but then I have been thinking I may be further from normal than I htought. I know I have anxiety issues. it might be worse than I thought. hormonal swings definitely make them worse (I wouldn't be able to get through another pregnancy without medications for anxiety).

anyway, just so you wil nkow your not alone. I erad your post about the door and thought "well what else sould run through your mind". and my mind wonders to scary places at night too so that didn't even faze me when you said that. Thise things are p[erfectly normal to me. healthy guess not but definitely not to far outside normal.

I agree that those kind of visuals can be common for any mama, my fears come out that way...fear of something happening to DD or DS. I actually have that same visual at times, i check my doors twice sometimes and i don't have OCD. Best of luck to you.

Whatever will be, already is...

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page