I need help, paxil and adavan - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 12-01-2005, 09:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have been diagnosed with general anxiety disorder, I had two very bad panic attacks two days in a row, so the doc prescribed paxil and adavan(sp?). I am still nursing my 18 month old, now I am scared to take either since it says in the phamplet not recommened for nursing mothers, even though the doc said it would be ok, but could make her drowsey? Now I am going to have anxiety with this! Does anybody have experience with either of these drugs?

thankyou
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 12-02-2005, 12:55 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Paxil is an antidepressant and should be okay. Ativan is a benzo, they are addictive, be careful with them. Ativan does get into the breastmilk and can cause sleepiness in your babe, so that she meets her milestones later than normal. However, .5 mg (Point five - half of a 1mg tablet) twice a day is often prescribed and this dosage is low enough that it should not cause your babe any side effects. What dosage did your doctor prescribe?
#3 of 4 Old 12-02-2005, 12:56 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I would evaluate Paxil very carefully because I have heard that it can be brutal in terms of withdrawal. Good luck, I hope this passes soon.
#4 of 4 Old 12-05-2005, 05:04 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Honestly, from all I've read/heard about Paxil, I'd stay away from it and try something like Prozac or Zoloft first. They've been around longer, are safer, and have less side effects.

Anti-anxietys/anti-depressents are tricky, what works for one person doesn't work for another, kwim? I have panic disorder with mild OCD, and Prozac didn't do a thing for me, even at the highest doseage (I tried it for six months), however, a low doseage of Zoloft works wonders, it's been amazing!

I had a dr. who prescribed me the Ativan, Xanax, Clonipin, in addition to the Prozac I was taking. I can't believe he rxed all those drugs for me to take at the same time!!! I never did take the Ativan, it scared me way too much.

"Have faith in yourself and in the direction you have chosen." Ralph Marston

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page