My "I ain't gonna get depressed this winter" thread. Please join! - Page 3 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#61 of 364 Old 01-02-2006, 03:16 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Had a very down day yesterday, started today much better. Worked out for an hour and then took a shower...granted, I had two little girls in the shower with me, but at least I got clean after sweating that much. Have not eaten any junk food today, and yesterday had very minimal junk.

Need to go to the store this afternoon, will buy some balloons. I love bubbles, but cannot handle the mess inside the house and while it's been a mild winter so far, the cold and wind are coming and we're outside as little as possible then.

And Red, the suggestion of *having* to get down and play with the kids if I mess up is perfect. It enforces my natural desire to reconnect with them....and who can feel badly while playing checkers, chess and Twister?
#62 of 364 Old 01-02-2006, 03:39 PM

Ah I need to join this thread, but haven't had a chance to read through yet. I'll be back....
#63 of 364 Old 01-02-2006, 05:35 PM - Thread Starter
Red

HaveWool~Will Felt"my home looks like vacation and Christmas vomited everywhere...."

:

I didn't even GO on vacation, and it looks like that here too! I know this sounds dumb, but.....years ago I was watching "Roseanne". During part of the show she confided to Jackie that she and Dan DTD every Tuesday night. No matter what. They just knew, it's Tuesday, so...

Well, the kids were little, and we weren't much on planning, so we adopted the idea. Only not Tuesday!

HipMama, this thread is just visiting TAO. I asked for special permission to have it here for a few days, based on the fact the we depressed folk aren't going to like looking for it in health and healing! (among other things.) So, in order to stay out of H&H, you can use the search function at teh top of each page, go to Advanced Search, and enter your own user name. The thread will pop up, and yuou can visit wtihus from there!

APMom98, you are sooo much more motivated than i am! I hate, HATE to sweat. I'm a wimp. But when I finish here, you've motivated me to go do a free weight workout! Thanks!

Blowing bubbles in the tub is cool! Oh and if you have forced hot air vents in teh floor, try putting your balloons on them. THey float up when the heat comes on.

Twister! Oooh, I'll have to tget the girls to break that out...oh. Ok, broke somethng in my foot I think. Doc tomorrow. Maybe THEY'll Play Twister andI can watch! THe game is so silly, even watching is fun.
#64 of 364 Old 01-02-2006, 05:47 PM

i need reminding that bills are just bills. We have so much other stuff going on right now that I'm stressing about (losing our home is a very real possibility right now) that I need to keep some perspective.

today i picked up some dishes from freecycle, made breaskfast and lunch with the boys and played playdoh before getting overwhelmed with the legal crap DH should be doing. I think after supper, we'll make some brownies. Brownies and mexican chocolate always make me feel better. We'll eat them while playing candyland or having a "concert".
#65 of 364 Old 01-02-2006, 08:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teagreenribbons
Well, this is sorta depressing.

Yesterday and so far today, is totally boring for me. Stayed in my night clothes all yesterday because didn't want any tight fitting clothes because my weight, knew that my mom or dad didn't want to do anything outside of house as well. So far today, helped with taken out reclying, spl for tomorrow, help cleaned the living room, since the tree, christmas decorations were taking down, today. Just waiting to see if my sister is going return stuff to one the outlets in the area I live in. Waiting to see if we are going is driving me nuts. Will let you guys know if we gone there.

Thank you.
Update, we went after a couple hours that I posted there. Got a pair of wool pants from Eddie Bauer that I really needed. We stayed only for half a hour or hour.

Thank you.
#66 of 364 Old 01-02-2006, 08:16 PM

it's snowing :
#67 of 364 Old 01-02-2006, 08:35 PM

Subbing, here from dull and gloomy MA. It will snow tonight, so at least it will be pretty tomorrow (fresh snow is lovely, after all). I have actually learned to run in snow and ice, just to get outside and get exercise in!

Moving from VA to MA was rough-there really is at least an hour less sunlight here in the winter. And, it always snows in April!

I haven't seen this mentioned here, so I'll ask-has anyone tried St. John's Wort for this? I have used it on and off over the uears-I find it works better in some years than in others. I know it is controversial, and recent studies have not been as positive as earlier ones. Just thought I'd see if anyone else has had any luck with it.

There have been lots of good ideas here-let's keep it up, and make it to spring!

Deb
#68 of 364 Old 01-02-2006, 08:41 PM

Joining the crew...I just realized I am yearning to work on the yard and well it's January in Ohio and that's obviously not going to happen. It's going to be a long winter.

I have been running in hopes of beating the normal winter time depression. Hoping to catch any rays of sunshine that shine during a day and beat the cabin fever that sets in every year. This winter I will be single parenting it a lot of nights and I can't just toss the kids into the yard

Must get back to cleaning of the Christmas vomit still pervasive in my house. ANyone else need some more toys??
#69 of 364 Old 01-02-2006, 08:44 PM

We have a sun lamp right behind our computer couch that DH sits under for a few hours every day while he plays his computer games. It really helps him, especially in the dark November-February months.
#70 of 364 Old 01-02-2006, 08:49 PM

I'm not big into tanning beds, but my sister suggested going a couple of times a month in the winter to help w/depression. I may just do that.
#71 of 364 Old 01-02-2006, 08:50 PM

I've been lurking til now I appreciate this thread. REALLY wish I didn't need to be here though, which I'm sure y'all understand and won't take offence to

I get SAD every year but only realized it two years ago. I used to think it was post-Christmas letdown but finally realized that Christmas was just postponing the winter doldrums. Usually Christmas pulls me through so I'm at least up til after but this year dear old mom picked a fight with my 7 year old and me a few days before the holiday so I spent most of the weekend near tears or angry. I was plunged pretty much off the deep end and didn't get the Christmas high I usually enjoy. Ok, enough depressing stuff

I take a bunch of supplements for PMS issues so I've pretty much tripled them. I take the same (sometimes double) of the 5-HTP and a single dose of B complex and floradix with iron but I've tripled my normal dose of fish oil, flax seed oil and evening primrose. I'm not saying I feel like dancing, but it definitely helps and I'm a lot better off than I was Christmas weekend.

A few days ago as I lay in bed nursing Owen his breakfast, I happened to pull aside the window curtain to see what was going on. Even though it was a dreary day, light came streaming in on my face. So now each morning I've been holding the curtain open so the sun is on my face while he nurses. It's a good 15 minutes at least, sometimes 1/2 an hour. Call me crazy, but I think having that dose of light first thing in the morning is helping.

Of course, there hasn't *been* much sun since we have rain and gray clouds for days now : I actually like rain, but I'd really prefer to see some sun right now.

I'm also making an effor to listen to some upbeat music. I just started a thread in Music (whatever that folder is called) asking for suggestions to burn a mix CD. Robert noticed I've been listening to all angry/violent/screaming music or sad/depressing/death music. Hmmmmm, not such a good idea right now, huh?

Oh, and lots of chocolate I buy unsweetened chocolate (ghiradelli's - my big splurge) and pour some agave syryp on it. Works wonders

Someone mentioned a vacation. That sounds like a great idea! We can't afford it this year but we've never been on a family vacation so I think I'll start putting aside money now to go somewhere next January (since I know I'll be depressed then too - sigh). Maybe a week somewhere where there is sun would help. At the least, we'll get a family vacation out of it. Hey, maybe Disney Don't they have all sorts of specials in January? (we homeschool so no school schedule to worry about).
#72 of 364 Old 01-02-2006, 09:02 PM

i use St Johsn Wort off and on per my MWs recommendation. It works about as well as anything else ever did. I'd love to be able to afford a sun lamp. Part of my issue is directly related to a Vit D deficiency I developed when I had to avoid the sun for years while on psychotropic medication.

i really do tend to get all caught up in the unimportant stuff and that makes everything worse. We can't vacation, but I can plan some special meals and treats during those weeks I tend to get really bad. Lemon EO really helps me to b/c i assosciate the citrus smell with summer.
#73 of 364 Old 01-02-2006, 09:41 PM

I should add that the sunlamp we use cost about $60. I know there are some much more expensive out there though.
#74 of 364 Old 01-03-2006, 02:59 AM
DBZ

wow how many people on this thread are from Mass?

The last couple of days have been ok. The kids go back to school Wednesday. Well the first day back might be tomorrow but it'll be a snow day anyway LOL. I'm not looking forward to going back to our normal routine.

Kara

Kara, single mom of 4 girls (5, 8, 16 and 19) crochetsmilie.gif
Kids have strokes too! superhero.gif 

#75 of 364 Old 01-03-2006, 03:41 AM

#76 of 364 Old 01-03-2006, 04:38 AM

This is the reason I loathe winter. It's summer here at the moment, but I understand exactly what you're going through.
#77 of 364 Old 01-03-2006, 12:15 PM
Banned

I'm in.

Here's my sob story.....Red invited me in, so here I am. Ready to shake the blues off and get with it.
#78 of 364 Old 01-03-2006, 12:18 PM
Banned

I do Leslie Sansone's walk fit tape....1 or 2 mile....half hour if great workout. Simple too.
#79 of 364 Old 01-03-2006, 09:41 PM - Thread Starter
Red

I'm in Mass., latinmom, DBZ. Who else???

I worked out today. It was easier than I thought it would be. I's the procrastinating that makes it seem so hard! We got snow lst night and woke up to an extended vacation due to a snow day! Woo-hooo.

I could use a day alone. Or an hour. Or ten freaking minutes! But my 'babies' are 15. Soon I'll have days upon days of peace and quiet and I'll remember all this fondly. Right? RIGHT???

I will!

I want to make a CD of some up beat walkig type music. ANy jumping songs would do, as long as I like them. But I'm out of new ideas. So, how about it? What are your favorite upbeat, jumping and dancing, can't just sit there songs?
#80 of 364 Old 01-03-2006, 10:45 PM

We had no snow here today-I mean NO SNOW!! and what did our town do? WE HAD A SNOW DAY!!!!!!! AARGH!!!!! I had gone to work, and had to come home at noon so dh could get a half day in. And it was wet and nasty outside, so we really couldn't play!

So now, I'm eating chocolate (ghirardelli's semi-sweet chips-Yum!!)

At least I got 1/2 of the Xmas ornaments down-maybe the tree this weekend.

Someone (sorry, I forgot who) mentioned oils for this (primrose and flax, I think). I may be running to get those tomorrow!

Here's to a better Wed.!

Deb
#81 of 364 Old 01-03-2006, 11:36 PM

I posted a thread in the media forum looking for upbeat music. Didn't get a single reply

Here's the mix CD I made last night (warning - heavily influenced by the 80's )

Come on Eileen - Dexy's Midnight Runners
Girls Just wanna have fun - Cyndi Lauper
Karma Chameleon - Culture Club
Walk Like an Egyptian - the Bangles
Manic Monday - the Bangles
She Drives Me Crazy - Fine Young Cannibals
Vacation - Go Gos
And We Danced - The Hooters
Walking on Sunshine - Katrina and the Waves
Our House - Madness
Safety Dance - Men Without Hats
The Monkees Theme Song
Time Warp
Pretty Woman - Roy Orbison
King Tut - Steve Martin

Someone mentioned a cheap sun lamp? Where did you get it? When I google sun lamps all I get are $200 dollar sun box ones.

And what are the best light bulbs to use - anyone know? Wouldn't it make the most sense to just put in the "right" light bulbs in every room?
#82 of 364 Old 01-04-2006, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red
I'm in Mass., latinmom, DBZ. Who else???
Me!
I'm depressed, and I don't know why..
#83 of 364 Old 01-04-2006, 12:07 AM - Thread Starter
Red

Yeah, like those! (I'm 47, heavily influenced by the 70's but I like music frm every era.

How depressed can you be while King Tut is blaring? Or while singing along to Girls just Wanna Have Fun?

And the Time Warp??????? I hung with a group of Rocky Horror fans. TO THIS DAY, every party they have they play those songs and everyone (me icluded ) does the Time Warp. The Rock Lobster is another big one. (they all look so silly and I DO try to avoid it. No pictures please)
#84 of 364 Old 01-04-2006, 12:52 AM

looking forward to reading this thread
#85 of 364 Old 01-04-2006, 04:19 PM

I'm back! I haven't posted, just got a new keyboard yesterday, kids broke mine!

Anyway, I am so glad to see others and hear what others are doing to combat this problem. I have been working out every day in front of my big sunny windows, that seems to be helping. Our weather here in PA is sucking, I'd at least like some nice snow if it's going to be cold. But we have only nasty cold rain and cloudy skies.

I am so busy in the next two weeks, which although overwhelming is good for me. I have a doula client going for a c-section for twins, starting ice skating, CPR renewal class, state farm show, start a new job teaching nursing students, and my book club. So that helps to have things to look forward to.

Now my 3 year old on the other hand is on my last nerve. He loves to be outside so when a couple of days go by that he can't play outside, he makes the whole family miserable. We have lots of indoor stuff like indoor swings, trampoline, let him rollerblade and ride bike, sit and spin, etc. but it just isn't the same for him. right now, I am waiting for my husband to get home (only for 1 hour, then back to work ) to take him off my hands so I can regroup.

Oh, and we're going to order pizza tonight, yummmm

Keep it coming with what you are doing to keep going this winter. So far, it has really helped me anyway,
#86 of 364 Old 01-04-2006, 10:51 PM
Banned

Figured I'd update....finding inspiration in this thread. Thank you again Red for the invite.

The music stuff rocks! My DH is a Dj parttime (getting back into it finally!) and has SO much of that stuff he makes wicked compilations! He promised to make me some and get a CD player for van.......he is still so up to date with the latest music I am so far behind........I find I get real upset with that.......music brought he and I together and played a huge part of our early days......the girls are musical...it's in all of us here but I am so not up to date with stuff so when he gets all excited about a new download into his program I just kinda sit there not having a clue who sings it or what.........he senses I am getting upset with it so he is trying to help out.........I never knew being a mom at home would cut me off from so much. I love being here for my girls and wouldn't change it but so much of my soul seems to be numb?

I am thinking of writing again.........was a writer for years, my whole life actually, until a few years ago when I just went blah.....once I became a mom I lost the energy...I have had stuff published on online parenting mags and stuff but it's just not enough............I want to write a book........but everytime ideas flow I feel "ah, someone has done that better" or something similar.

Exercised yesterday and today.....helps alot! Even got me to take the girls our yesterday for an extra walk outside (I do indoor walk fit tapes) in the dreary cold.....rain and all. Pulling them in their wagon no less. Must keep up the exercise....amazing what it does for the mind.

Anyhow.........that's it.......for now.
#87 of 364 Old 01-05-2006, 04:34 AM

Location: back in the GREAT state of Minnesota! oh how i have missed you!
im in!!!! i live in Colorado and its not that bad in the winter. i am however, in minnesota right now and the no sun thing really sucks cant wait to get home. i do not know how DH did it when he lived in OR. no i mean no sun for the whole winter........i could not do it!

Your life doesnât change by the man whos elected. If your loved by someone you can't be rejected... decide what to be and go be it! If your a caged bird brake in and demand that somebody free it.
#88 of 364 Old 01-06-2006, 01:03 AM

Gee I am not alone. And I thought I was just going crazy. Cold tempertures and no money suck. I have so little motivation to write much more.
Peace
#89 of 364 Old 01-06-2006, 10:05 AM

Not been around much. It hasn't been a good week. Still working out though, the weather hasn't been too bad, so took walks outside two days and the other two, I did The Firm. Still waiting on my Rescue Remedy to get here. I *am* sleeping better, probably due to the workouts and not eating so much junk. In fact, more and more mornings, I don't want to get up when the alarm goes off. But I'm still around.
#90 of 364 Old 01-06-2006, 10:16 AM

There is supposed to be sun today, the first in many days. You wouldn't know it by the snow falling at this point. I hope it's not a cruel weatherperson joke I will get out and run no matter what. Hoping it will be the mood booster I need to get me through the weekend. I can not spend money on Staurday. We are completely tapped out. And Saturday is usually my "errand shopping" day. Looking for tons of little projects to keep me moving around the house. Dp did get me a MP3 player that I can listen to while I clean the house with all my fav songs. It actually helps.

Hope everyone has survived the week so far!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page