My "I ain't gonna get depressed this winter" thread. Please join! - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 364 Old 12-27-2005, 12:09 PM - Thread Starter
Red

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Mods, might I first beg for mercy? We depressed folk aren't going to go looking for this thread, it's going to have to slap us upside the head for a few weeks before we get very involved. I know it belongs in "health and Healing", but imagine MY depression when my depression thread gets no answers!?

Might I most respectfully request 2 weeks here in TAO before you give us the boot? Pretty please?

Now, On with the show.

Get depressed often? Fight with hormones, lack of activity, lack of enough sunlight? Are you dreading another winter of short days and lamps casting grey pools of watery light? You and the family crammed inside, clutter and mess overtaking the house.......

Freaking at the thought of boots and coats and gloves and family issues and not enough money?

Wanna just put your head down and cry?

I know that I can successfully fight this off! I am tired of letting my life go this way and that, like a rudderless ship! I'm the captain! ( )

And I know I'm not alone. There's a bunch of you out therre, fighting the same thing, year in and year out. For some, it's Seasonal Affective Disorder. For others it has more to do with aniversaries of unpleasant times, or hormones or ...well, heck, there are tons of reasons!

So, I thought we might try to support each other. As we read helpful advice, we can post it. We can encourage each other to get fresh air and exercise, to eat right, the things we all know will help that we have such a difficult time doing. We can recommend good books to each other.

So, wanna?

My first move is going to be to get some exercise, OUTSIDE, every day, barring temps below (eeeewwwwwwww, I'm fighting with myself here!) ................15 degrees, Farenheit. Brrrr! or horrible storms, super icy conditions. THose days, I will ride the danged exercise bike for 30 minutes.....uh, can anyone help me to LIKE it? All of it?

What do you wnat to do? Can you offer me some advice? Can I offer you some? Just wanna hold hands till it's better?
#2 of 364 Old 12-27-2005, 12:15 PM

Count me in. My goal is exercise as well. I do The Firm and Tae Bo and while I love them both, getting motivated over these very stressful last few months has been impossible. My therapist gave me an assignment of 3 days of exercise a week for the next few weeks, and if I can't improve on my patience/exhaustion/sadness, we're going to start talking meds. I NEED to get motivated to work out...it helps me feel better, it helps me sleep better (about 4 hours per night for at least the last couple of months), it increases my patience with the children *and* with myself.

But I just can't seem to make myself do it! And I'm not going outside....15 degrees? I'd be inside the entire months of Jan/Feb! So, indoor exercise for me. And not feeling guilty for needing a break from the kids.....and honestly, that's the hardest one for me. I can't seem to get past the guilt. I hate that I'm not the mommy I should be, but I feel badly for leaving them to get some me time, because what if they need me?

So, yes, I'm in.
#3 of 364 Old 12-27-2005, 12:57 PM

Hey, I'll join! I hate the winter, the cold, the wet, the darkness. Definitely have some SAD going on. I hate being cooped up with my kids, they drive me nuts because they love being outdoors too.

I am working hard to beat it this year. I bought new nice winter clothes, trying to get my sunlight in, work out, continue on weight watchers and improving diet, vitamins and thyroid meds.

I would love to hear how others cope and deal especially those in dark, cold, wet environments!
#4 of 364 Old 12-27-2005, 01:00 PM

I'll be here too. (At least when I can remember, preggo brain and all) MY exercise choice is belly dance. I have a DVD set that I use. I have fun and my 3 yo does it with me. We're working on setting me up a schedule before my next semester starts on 1/14. I don't go outside much in winter, I can't tolerate the cold but I do open the curtains to let the light into the house.

My foster mom used to either read a nice book or watch a favorite TV program/movie on her exercise bike. It worked for her.

I need to focus on eating more whole foods and well, really just eating in general.

I don't feel guilty anymore about needing me time. Trying to balance being a mom, full time student and doing everything else that must get done has instilled in my the absolute necessity of taking time for myself to refresh and recharge. Everybody is better off when mom's had a few minutes to herself.
#5 of 364 Old 12-28-2005, 04:13 AM

Hey - op, I could've written your post!!!
I am here in the SanFrancisco Bay area, just getting gloomier by the day! It's raining cats and dogs, can't get outside, baby and I have a cold, my family is on the other side of the country, my best
girl- friend is dying, the holidays were a bust (due to above mentioned cold), our car is also terminal, and there is no snow here!!!
wow, thanks - it feels good to get that out of my system!!!
Now that you know what is up with me, I will be happy to share and support!!!
Good things of late: my husband got an unexpected christmas bonus (modest but who's complaining?), I finished knitting a beautiful scarf for a friend today and it turned out lovely, my baby just started walking on his own yesterday (and both me and dh were witness to it ), the diapers are clean, I scored a free chair last week and will start the slipcover tomorrow, family is coming to visit soon, and dh and I will be celebrating our 8th wedding anniversary this new year's eve!!!

I have been trying to focus on all of the good when the gloomies set in...I tend to get obsessive about things that bug me and then they just get magnified...
Exercise sure does help but it is so rainy here with no snow (I'm a snow-sports kinda gal). Anyone think of fun things to do in the rain? lol...

thanks for starting this thread!!!
-Kimberley
#6 of 364 Old 12-28-2005, 11:02 PM
A&A

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I HATE the darkness. I hate thinking, "If it were summer, it would be light out and we'd be running around the backyard or gardening instead of holed up in the house!"

"Our task is not to see the future, but to enable it."
#7 of 364 Old 12-28-2005, 11:22 PM

I worked out today. I got in 25 minutes of tae bo before I though my heart would explode. But I did it.
#8 of 364 Old 12-28-2005, 11:57 PM

I guess the mods ignored your request, Red

I'm subbing...I NEEEEEED to exercise but it's impossible to get motivated!!!
#9 of 364 Old 12-29-2005, 12:54 PM - Thread Starter
Red

Well, goodie, I'm not alone here!

Today was to be my first day back walking for exercise. I tripped last night in the dark, and I think I may have re-broken my not quite healed toe!

Guess I'll be on that bike after all.

So, today I'll start with stretches, and maybe some weights. I'm also conning the kids into a 20 minute clutter pick-up. I feel better amid less junk! (The house is holiday-trashed!)

I really think going outside, regardless of how nasty it is, is more invigorating than exercising inside. It's hard to take a fast, cold walk in the rain and not come back with rosy cheeks. A cup of hot tea and dry clothes, and presto! depression is lifting! (Uh, can someone remind me of that next week? I'm just jonesing for my walk, I think. )

A&A brought up a good point. (have you read the thread I started about Affirmation in Personal Growth? It sorta fits in. ) Thinking, "I wish it were summer, I hate the winter, these clothes are a pain, etc" doesn't lead to a cheerier attitude. Anyone want to list three things they LIKE about the winter? Mine are: I love snugggling up and watching a movie when it's too miserable to go out. SNOW DAYS! And............this is quite hard!.............Oh! Sledding on the icey road at night. And home-made soup! I got four!

What's your favorite "pick me up" song? Mine is "Hey-a" by Outkast! Good for exercising, too!
#10 of 364 Old 12-29-2005, 12:59 PM

Worked out again. Will be back later to list my things I love about winter
#11 of 364 Old 12-29-2005, 01:25 PM

I wish I had a good workout dvd...something quick that's easy to do w/small space...

any recommendations???
#12 of 364 Old 12-29-2005, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by curlyfry
I wish I had a good workout dvd...something quick that's easy to do w/small space...

any recommendations???
Tae Bo basic workout. It's about 22-23 minutes long, a total body workout and you don't need any equipment.

Personally, I love The Firm, and as soon as I get into a little bit of shape, I'm going to start back with it. I love the combo of cardio and weights...it's a great workout and it makes me feel wonderful and strong. But it is 45 mintutes to 1 hour workout and you do need the equipment to do it. But it's soooo worth it.
#13 of 364 Old 12-29-2005, 03:35 PM

Red, I tried to pm you, can you empty your box please?
#14 of 364 Old 12-29-2005, 03:45 PM

subbing. Back with more later.
#15 of 364 Old 12-29-2005, 03:46 PM

ok...i bid on the tae bo basic on ebay
#16 of 364 Old 12-29-2005, 04:58 PM - Thread Starter
Red

Irish, I have decluttered my inbox.

Hmm, I was wondering if the Tae-Bo would be too hard for me. How hard is it?
#17 of 364 Old 12-29-2005, 06:27 PM

I'm a SAD girl every year - so I'm joining in! I'm going to walk the dog every day that it's warm enough for her to go out (5-10F or greater) and keep taking my omega-3 fatty acids.

Things I like about winter (ooh...hard one) - the holidays, snuggling under blankets at night, my electric mattress pad, warm fleecy clothes & long underwear, fleecy socks, looking at seed catalogs for spring, having an excuse to stay inside and sew or do crafts, snow (when I don't have to get on the highways) and hot tea. There, I tried!

crafty mama to Chloe and Emma (10/08) and Piper
emergency medicine PA and single mother by choice
#18 of 364 Old 12-29-2005, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red
Irish, I have decluttered my inbox.

Hmm, I was wondering if the Tae-Bo would be too hard for me. How hard is it?
Tae-Bo is a workout. Personally, I found the Basic workout to be perfect when I was just starting out. I moved to the advanced workout eventually, but it took me about 6 weeks. . If you buy the instructional (or rent it) it gives the basics of how to do the moves, but he somewhat explains them again in the basic workout. It is one of his older ones so the cues are off sometimes, but you quickly get the hang of it...His left isn't your left, etc. And a lot of it is muscle control. Holding in your abs while doing the entire workout will get a much more effective workout...but if you don't, you'll still get a workout. Did that make any sense at all? Overall, I enjoy Tae-Bo. It isn't my first choice for a workout, but it is quick and effective and total body. HTH
#19 of 364 Old 12-29-2005, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A&A
I HATE the darkness. I hate thinking, "If it were summer, it would be light out and we'd be running around the backyard or gardening instead of holed up in the house!"
a&a,

Same here.

red,

Sorry, for not posting sooner.

Thank you.
#20 of 364 Old 12-30-2005, 08:59 PM
A&A

Anyone else depressed by how much $$$$$$$$$ flies out the door this time of year??? (And every year I swear I'm not going to spend too much on Christmas. But then I do. And I helped a MDC mama --off the MIN thread--which I don't regret, but it just adds to the total Christmas bill.)

#21 of 364 Old 12-30-2005, 09:47 PM - Thread Starter
Red

I think the spending spree I go on in december really does affect how I feel in January.

Besides feeling broke.

But it does add to it, doesn't it. My dh is laid off about this time every year. The holidays would be much more convenient in October, if you ask me. I try to shop early, but what to buy....and for whom???? I get confused and it just waits till the end.

I didn't pay the lights or phone this month. Oh, or the whopping car insurance bill we got.

Keep those "good things about winter..." thoughts coming!
#22 of 364 Old 12-30-2005, 10:58 PM
A&A

I love Christmas lights. And hot chocolate. And sweatshirts.

There! I added something positive!

#23 of 364 Old 12-31-2005, 01:45 AM

Subbing...
#24 of 364 Old 12-31-2005, 01:56 AM

I think I should un-subscribe. My best friend died the 27th. I flew to the east coast with baby and dh yesterday and the funeral is tomorrow. I am sad beyond words, beyond seasonal sadness. There is nothing right about a beautiful 30 year old dying. Thanks anyways, you guys, and I hope you all remain positive through this season...
#25 of 364 Old 12-31-2005, 12:03 PM - Thread Starter
Red

My deepest sympathies to Dove and her family.
#26 of 364 Old 12-31-2005, 12:15 PM

Dove. I can't imagine how hard this loss is.

crafty mama to Chloe and Emma (10/08) and Piper
emergency medicine PA and single mother by choice
#27 of 364 Old 12-31-2005, 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A&A
I love Christmas lights. And hot chocolate. And sweatshirts.

There! I added something positive!
a&a,

Same here and etc, but not the shopping or stuff associated with shopping.

Thank you.
#28 of 364 Old 12-31-2005, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red
My deepest sympathies to Dove and her family.
red,

2nd that.

Thank you.
#29 of 364 Old 12-31-2005, 02:52 PM

I just told dh today,"Is the sun EVER going to shine again in my lifetime??" :
Dang it,I don't want to be a SAD mama,but I am.
I'm subbing.

dove,
#30 of 364 Old 12-31-2005, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldermamato5
I just told dh today,"Is the sun EVER going to shine again in my lifetime??" :
Dang it,I don't want to be a SAD mama,but I am.
I'm subbing.

dove,
dove,

Same here as well, not to my dh, but to myself.

Thank you.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page