anyone up for a emetophobia support thread? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-19-2006, 04:04 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Animama, you sound a lot like me!

I got a little unintentional forced exposure therapy last night. My DH and I were going to go to a car show and we rode with some of our friends in their Trailblazer. Well, they start telling a story about how on St. Patrick's Day (the night before!) they had gone with some other friends to a bar, and on the way back, this dude puked all over the backseat. Yep, the seat I was sitting on.

So just knowing that I was sitting in the confined space where someone was vomiting 24 hours earlier was pretty bad for me, but I only was tense about it for 5 minutes or so, and I turned on the car light and checked everything out to make sure it was really REALLY clean, and then I relaxed. But my DH kept teasing me, saying stuff like "Do you really think you should put on your seatbelt? It might be pukey!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2006, 09:58 PM

Well, Pinksmommy, at least the puke came from somebody who was probably "just drunk." Not contagious! So you're safe from catching it!
Old 03-20-2006, 04:25 PM

I hope I would have been able to relax about it as well as you did, Pinksmommy. I think I would have probably been continually flaring my nostrils to see if I could catch any bad whiffs, unable to help myself.

I tend to avoid people after they've been sick, too. Not so much because I'm afraid it might be catchy, but because I'm afraid they might do it again! If someone is sick in front of me, it takes me a while to get past the (totally irrational, I grant!) anxiety I feel towards them. When I was a kid, I would avoid vomiters entirely.
Old 03-30-2006, 12:29 AM

Okay, I've decided that the main reason I have TWO children now (DD has done it twice to DDs dozens of times) who cough so hard they vomit is to teach me to accept vomit into my life. It is the universe speaking, LOL.

Seriously, I do believe there is a grand plan of learning in this life and I believe our children are some of our greatest teachers. But BARFING??? Oh, please, why me???
Old 05-23-2006, 04:08 AM - Thread Starter

Just thought i'd bump this up......how is everyone doing??

We had a stomach bug run through our house a few weeks ago and it really freaked me out.....dd was puking all morning...poor thing.....but fortunately, no one else got it......
does anyone else not want to go to public places like the park or the mall when the stomach bug is going around in their area? I really struggle with this

Here's me I married then we had dd15 , dd11 , ds10 , and then and now we and I blog!
Old 05-23-2006, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mykdsmomy
Just thought i'd bump this up......how is everyone doing??

We had a stomach bug run through our house a few weeks ago and it really freaked me out.....dd was puking all morning...poor thing.....but fortunately, no one else got it......
does anyone else not want to go to public places like the park or the mall when the stomach bug is going around in their area? I really struggle with this
Oh yeah, we become total hermits if I hear a stomach thing is going around. I will go to the park, but stores and play places with shared toys and libraries seem like dens of contagion to me. And we always wash our hands after playing/going out. We made it through this year's rotavirus "season" w/o getting sick!
Jen
Old 05-30-2006, 02:51 AM

Hi, I'm new here and this is my first post. And it's about my worst fear. Yay, me.

I've been emetophobic for as long as I can remember, but it's only become an actual life altering problem in the past two years since I've had my son. I've also developed other mental disorders, so I'm sure it's related somehow.

I rarely eat out anymore. Partly because I'm afraid that it's not properly cooked, but mostly because I'm afraid that another diner is going to get ill. I don't like to go to stores, etc., because I'm afraid that I'm going to get sick and won't be able to make it to a bathroom or get outside in time. I don't like riding in cars, because I'm afraid that the driver won't be able to pull over in time. Well, you get the picture. Sad as it is, in my perfect world, I would live in a perfectly sanitized bathroom, with a TV and computer.

I have at least one panic attack (usually minor) over this a week. It's really caused a huge riff in my life. I've sought help for it, but chickened out when the therapist started getting more in detail about the phobia and I stopped going. I'm looking for a new therapist now, because I need to have this dealt with.

I had to skim through most of this thread, because even the words that associate (notice I can't use them) with this phobia will trigger a panic attack. I'll try to read more later and add when I can.
Old 05-31-2006, 09:28 PM

I am new to this thread and I specifically came to this forum to find out if anybody else is afraid of thoriwing up etc. To find there was a whole two page thread going! I am not alone!

I have been terrified of stomach viruses specifically since as along as I can remember anything. I think things really took hold when I entered high school and I remember I would experience a sheer terror when I heard so and so is not in class today because of a stomach virus. I then proceeded to drop to a weight of 108 in collecge because I would not eat anything unclean. I ate white rice, peeled apples and cooked broccoli and that's about it! Now I am 40 and I work in a nursery school. When viruses are going around I am terrified, completely obsessed that I am going to catch it. I wash my hands constantly, I don't eat snack, I am completely tense when I leave there and I pray and chant and meditate every night about "good things coming to me and through me" ala Louise Hay. I make my son, upon entering the house, remove avery spec of school clothing during epidemics and I am terrified of going to other peoples homes for fear they might have or have had a stomach virus. I break out in a panic (internally) when someone mentions in the neighborhood that they have the dreaded "bug" This is disabling at the moment.

I do think it is a control issue as one of you mentioned at the very beginning. But why vomiting specifically, why not be obsessing about the regular flu or measles or something else? This is my question.

Are any of you Virgos? I am and I do know Virgo rules the stomach and intestines. Just a thought.

I hope my time of exacerbated obsession with this goes away soon. It is really rather exhausting going to bed fearing the puke in the night.

Witch's mom LOL! Your description of your mental dialogue in the Costco bathroom - I was rolling in hysterics when I read it - so much like something I would do!!!!! Stop breathing and floor it outta the bathroom!!!

I hope you all are well.

Joyfulliving
Old 06-01-2006, 10:16 AM

Me too! I didn't know there was a name for this...

I'm scared to puke myself and will do my very best to not, but I don't do a whole lot special to prevent it - if a bug's going around, I'll try to do better at washing my hands and not touching my face and doing my best not to get close to anyone who is sick - even if it is not something that normally involves vomiting. Whoever has said that it would be better to just let yourself do it and get it over with - but that that's easier said than acted on... I'm right there.

Maybe more scary for me is other people vomiting - I get really panicky if it's even a possibility around me. I have this whole little mind-movie of times I've seen/heard/been around when people have puked that starts playing (morbid fascination?) whenever I feel like I might be sick or I think someone around me will.

It doesn't keep me from going to places like amusement parks... but I'm nervous a lot of the time there.

My dh & I just started ttc our first - this is the start of our third month - and I get very panicky when I think about maybe having morning sickness, and maybe puking while in labor, and then dealing with the kid(s) when they're puking. Sometimes I think it will be ok, and once I get some forced exposure it will get better, but sometimes it makes me panic and I think I won't be able to handle it and does that mean I just shouldn't have kids... How do you guys cope with it?

glad to have found this and glad I'm not alone (though I'm not glad for any of us that we're here... but you know what I mean...)
Old 06-01-2006, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacechief
How do you guys cope with it?
Homeopathically. If my stomach feels a little "funny" I take some Hyland's colic tablets, maybe some nux vomica, or gelsemium sempervirens (for the nervousness.) Also there's "stress tabs" by Historical Remedies that have a nice blend to take care of tummy problems and nervousness. Usually if my tummy does feel funny it is gas or needing to poop, but it is hard not to feel a little twinge and think "oh no, in a few hours I'll be puking my guts out!"
also relaxing music helps, I love "Deeper" by Life in Balance, their music on quartz crystal bowls tuned to human chakras helps physically make me feel better.
Before having kids I did want to have a family but was afraid that pregnancy and babies was just one big puke-fest. I got real lucky and never had morning sickness,only had a few minute's of naseau during labor, and the kids have only had one puking illness in 4 years of childhood. And when DD was sick and puking I was amazed how it didn't really bother me, I was solely concerned for her, even when she puked ON me.
Then I remind myself how extremely unlikely my nightmare scenarios really are. For instance, like most of us here I'm afraid the whole family will get sick and puking at once. So I remind myself, when I was a kid I got sick several times and my parents and brother didn't. Other times my brother or mom got sick and no one else did. When DD got rotavirus, I got it too but only got diarrhea. DH got it too but only puked once and I was outside. Then when we all got coxsackie virus I was the only one that got any GI symptoms and again it was only "lower" GI. So I expect my "nightmare" will likely never happen to us. Then I remind myself that even if it does, we will survive. When DD had rotavirus, our friends' family got it too; they had 3 kids and everyone in the family DID get it; as my friend put it "there's vomit everywhere!" but you know what, they survived, they all got healthy within the week and they got the house all clean. So I know I will survive too even if the "worst" happens to us.
But I still do all I can to avoid it! (mainly handwashing, avoiding those who are sick, avoiding shared toys esp. when something is going around, avoiding potlucks and buffets, and eating out rarely {easy enough with all the food allergies in our family.})

Jen
Old 06-13-2006, 06:01 PM

I'm similar to Pinks--I can't cope, at all, with the sound or sight of someone else throwing up. It got a LOT better after doing some EMDR, but I'm nervous about how I'll cope with my children when they vomit.
Old 06-19-2006, 02:00 AM - Thread Starter

As I was reading through this thread, I had a thought.....how many of you feel like an "outsider" because people dont understand why you freak out over puking so much?
I have a really hard time with many of my friends over this issue. When someone's dc is sick with something pukey, I wind up asking them a million questions....like when did this start, do they have a fever, etc....I need to make sure it's not something contagious.....then the mom's look at me like im a freak.....kinda like "what's the big deal if they get sick" The funny thing is, if kids have runny noses or whatever, i'm totally fine....it's the stomach viruses that get to me.....
Anyway.....have you found you have less friends or are more secretive of your fear because of the emetaphobia??

Here's me I married then we had dd15 , dd11 , ds10 , and then and now we and I blog!
Old 06-20-2006, 01:03 AM

Hi! I'm new here. I clicked on this thread because I was curious what it was.

I've read most of the posts here and have to say that I recognize myself in so much of what all of you have written. I've been this way since I got what was probably a stomach virus when I was 5. I remember the night in excruciating detail. I was basically anorexic for about 4 years after that. Earlier in the day I had been to a neighbor's birthday party. At some point in my vomit-fest that night my mom said, "oh, you must have eaten too much at the party!" Totally innocent comment that stuck with me for YEARS. I would weigh myself nightly and do frantic jumping jacks in the bathroom if the scale inched beyond some certain point. I remember getting complete panic attacks in tight quarters such as church. I'd go running outside almost crying. I remember running around screaming, "I want to die!". My parents didn't know what to do with me. My mom took me to a Dr. at some point (age 6 or 7) and I was so afraid that even talking about it would make me puke that the Dr. somehow became convinced that I was constipated. This resulted in me getting to come down stairs and eat high fibre cereal late at night for my "poo problem." What insanity. I really only puked a few more times (I'm 36 now). Most recently I caught a bug from DD a year ago. I threw up once (in the sink, was too afraid of the toilet). I was in fear the whole time that DD would wake up and need me. Luckily DH was here and was able to go into her when she did wake up (he didn't catch it until the next day). Horrible. When I was in college and drinking way too much I would seriously force myself not to vomit. I'm sure I've done irreverible damage to my liver as a result.

I've often thought it is a fear of losing control. Mine seemed to also bring on OCD like behavior. Like I'd tell myself that I wouldn't vomit if I turned a light switch on and off a certain number of times. This was when I was in elementary school. I still feel that bubbling up when I hear something is going around. I remember a year and a half ago, we were at some friends' house eating dinner. My friend was trying my Ergo carrier on with her son and her DH said, "he'll probably puke all over you! Yeah, he just stopped vomiting this morning....been sick all week" I was FREAKING OUT. I could not believe (and her DH is a physician) that they thought it was ok for us to come over (with our 16 month old daughter too! Needless to say I ate next to nothing...watched DD like a hawk and washed both of our hands and used hand sanitizer like 50 times that evening. I was so mad. I feel I have to ask her if her kids are sick when we see them now but don't want to be a jerk.

Wow.....what a rambling post. I had no intention of dumping all this right now. I honestly had no idea other people felt like this. A relief.

I'll be back!!

Erin
Old 06-20-2006, 01:47 AM

I was confronted with an incident a few weeks ago.

My BIL was staying with us for about a month and he started getting really sick from his work. They cut up concrete or something in his shop (?) and he had gone against policy and wasn't wearing a respirator mask for weeks. Well all of the concrete dust got into his lungs and his stomach and I was awakened one horrible Saturday morning by him violently wretching in the bathroom which adjoins my bedroom. It is the only bathroom in our house. I felt so trapped and panicky. I turned my radio up as loud as it goes and hid under several pillows while plugging my ears, but I was jumpy and nervous the rest of the weekend. BIL had nasty hacking gagging cough the rest of the day, he said it was good to clear his lungs but I was shaken every time he started hacking. He moved out soon after that and I am grateful because he is a person who is very laidback about throwing up, in the mindset of "I should just puke because I'll feel better faster" and I was paranoid being around him.

So that is my not so good experience. Also recently, my DH over-drank while bowling and we were laying in bed after we got home. He got out of bed and I asked him where he was going. He said he had to go poop. He came back a few minutes later and laid down again. About a minute later, he said "Oh no. I have to go throw up."
But I did NOT freak out, he went into the bathroom and I rolled over and deep breathed and went to sleep. I don't even know when he came back to bed because I was so calm I just slept. It helps that he is a "polite puker" as he calls it. He doesn't really make any noise.
Of course, the next day he insisted that he didn't tell me he was going to be sick but he did, he was just drunk.
Old 01-03-2007, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tm2840 View Post
Just read the last post about none of her kids having a stomach bug yet and you know what??? Neither have mine!!! My oldest coughs til he gags due to mucus, (still!) but in almost 6 years with two kids, no tummy bugs yet for them.

Must be a special guardian angel protecting us. NOW I think I could handle it some, but three years ago??? No way!

Yay extended nursing (why I personally think my kids have never puked).
is this still open to reply to? jsut joined because of ""i'm an EMET"
Old 01-05-2007, 11:15 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
OMG, I just found this thread, as well. Like so many PP, I had no idea there was a name for this. Honestly, it's very comforting to know I'm not alone in this deep, deep fear. This season, with all the stomach bugs, I'm just compeltely and utterly FREAKING out. I read that thread in TAO about the "puking illness" and thought I was going to get sick right on the spot. I medicate myself and my older DD every day to keep us healthy. I down vitamin C, take immune boosters, probiotics, wash hands about 100 times a day . . .

I read Melaya's post that not throwing up in many years must mean you have a true case of the phobia. I find that interesting. Until two winters ago I hadn't thrown up in probably 15 years? One bad case of something one night. It was truly, insanely miserable and I was terrified the whole time. I would probably rather give birth than go through that again, and that's saying alot for me because I HATE giving birth!

I want so, so, so badly to get over this fear. Like PP I avoid alot of things this time of year because of my fear. I don't want to pass this on to my DDs
I want them to have healthy hygeine habits, but not be as freaked as I am about things. My freaking is on the inside, I guess!

I have no problem with DD getting sick. She was puking right before her first birthday and I had no problem caring for her and don't even remember caring about getting sick myself, I guess I was in overdrive mama-mode.

Not sure if anyone is going to post to this thread anymore, but I will subscribe to it. I could use the support, especially this time of year. My DP is going our of town for almost two weeks next month and I literally pray every day that we don't get this illness while he is away.
Old 01-06-2007, 11:17 PM

hi..i just happened to check this thread. mykdsmomy has started a new thread...it's called emetophobic momas. that's where the new posts are.

but welcome to the insanity...just kiddin

shelby
Old 01-29-2008, 04:51 PM

Can we get this thread going again? I am emetophobic as well, and would love the support of others...
Old 07-15-2008, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisg20 View Post
Can we get this thread going again? I am emetophobic as well, and would love the support of others...
I'm here. Anyone else up for reviving this thread?
Old 08-10-2008, 10:10 AM

Wow it's so nice to know I'm not alone. I'm a MAJOR emetophobe. Terrible. I feel so selfish about it too. Whenever I hear that someone around me is sick, instead of being concerned about them, I worry about ME getting sick. When I was little I would go days without eating because I was terrified of getting sick. If someone around me is sick I am full on panic mode. My brother who lives upstairs was sick on Wednesday night. I had gone upstairs on Thursday (not knowing he had been sick) I walked in the living room and stepped in a wet spot. I thought the dog had peed, I asked my mom and she so casually says, Oh yeah your brother started throwing up last night. I was SOOO MAD!! She KNOWS how bad I am. I immediately rushed downstairs with my kids, scrubbed our hands, our feet and I took a shower. I was in tears in the shower. The next day I went to our Shabbat services by myself and I actually called both my DH and my mom to ask them if they felt sick at all because I was so worried about getting sick while out. It's so pathetic.

I've been this way since I was very little.

I cope by avoiding people who are sick, avoiding going to places heavily populated by children during the winter, washing my hands the minute I walk in the door, being very picky about what I'll eat at other people's houses and potlucks. Obsessing and asking DH how he feels if I feel slightly icky.

The thing that stinks is that my DD1 has had about FIVE stomach bugs in her three years. FIVE! : I got a horrible stomach bug in February and it seriously set me way back for MONTHS. If my DD1 wakes up in the middle of the night and seems fussy, I quiz her about if her stomach hurts . Gosh I hate this.

Mama to : '05, '08, '10 and expecting our 3rd homebirth.jpgJanuary '13

Old 08-17-2008, 01:00 AM

Wow, I'm glad someone else responded! I know this thread is super old, though. I have been an emet since childhood, and having kids has made it so much worse. I'll come back to this thread when I've gotten the kids to bed.
Old 09-10-2008, 06:36 PM

Giving this a

User Tag List