Baker Act equivalent in NC? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 1 Old 05-03-2006, 02:10 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My mother just called distraught about my 26y/o brother. He has been abusing drugs and alcohol on and off since he was a young teenager. Time and time again my mom and stepdad have cleaned up his messes- bailed him out of jail, supported him when he was out of work rent free, bought him new cars when he has wrecked his vehicle (usually in conjunction with a binder), allowed him to verbally abuse them both and destroy their property. For the past 11 years, I have listened to all of their woes and the entire time have encouraged my mother to put her foot down and set limits that are set IN STONE. Time and time again, she falls back on the fact that my brother is a good person and so smart IF ONLY he would give up the drinking and drugging. My brother has struggled with depression, relationship issues, self loathing (I think he is gay and still in denial), he cycles from extreme highs to extreme lows so you might want to add a little bipolar in there for a well rounded mix.

His birthday was on Monday and he disappeared for almost 36 hrs to show up last night, having drunk almost a full 750ml bottle of Stolis. My mom heard a commotion from downstairs (she has a split level home which is completely sealed off from the downstairs where my brother lives) and went to investigate. She found my brother completely nude, punching himself in his face, head and chest, screaming, "I am not my father, I am not my father". (My bio father was physically and emotionally abusive to everyone he met. He was a con-artist and mooched off of people for a living. I can say without a slightest hesitation that the best way to describe this man is EVIL. He was never more than a sperm donor of a father to both my brother and I and yet he has procreated at least 6 more times that I know of.) My brother tried to leave my mom's and she was able to get his car keys and then lock herself in the upstairs of the house. My brother was a bloody mess. She thinks he may have tried to cut his wrists as well. She is physically intimidated by my brother, especially when is under the influence. She is afraid for his safety and for that of people he could harm.

To top everything off, he was due in court today on a DUI charge (which my parents have paid for his lawyer). She tried to wake him as she left for work but he would not rouse from his alcohol induced coma. She checked the court roster and he was due in court at 9am. I have no doubt that unless the lawyer asked for a continuance, that there is now a bench warrant for my brother.

So my long winded question is - Is there an involuntary psych hold (like Baker Act in FL) that my mother can have my brother held on in order to initiate some kind of treatment for him? They are in North Carolina. I don't even know if Baker Act is the right thing to do... it;s just what stands out in my vague memory of what could be done. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. It's going to be a long day trying to help them out long distance (I live in NY).

User Tag List