fear of dying - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 30 Old 06-30-2006, 09:06 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
hi all...

Does anyone else out there have recurring times of being afraid that you're going to die soon? I am often anxious about my health and have a big fear of getting cancer (and in my mind that means dying, as that's been the bulk of my experience with family & friends who get cancer). And I'm so scared and convinced that I'm going to develop cancer but not pick up on the symptoms in time and then it will be too late...

But I also sometimes just get into a frame of mind where I "feel" like I'm going to die soon. I don't know if that makes any sense - something will happen, often a dream (I seem to only have bad dreams ) and then I go around for days with this icky feeling inside, and it's like I enjoy torturing myself with it - I feel like I can't let go of it - like if I keep obsessing about it it will be under control(?). And so maybe I'll start to forget about it and then I'll remember and make myself, almost, start thinking about it... And then I get so scared and it turns in to this cycle...

That's where I am right now. This has happened before, so I can tell myself to some degree, "you didn't die the last time you were sure you were going to, so you're probably not going to now, either" And I'm sure it's good for me to keep repeating that, but I tend to think "oh, but maybe this time's different..." :

I'm so sick of this!!! And I feel like it's such a stupid thing, and I "should" be able to just decide I'm not going to listen to my fears and I'm going to let them go, but that always seems so scary in and of itself. Has anyone else experienced this, and most importantly, what have you done that has helped? (I am seeing a counselor and this is something we have been talking about. I also know that often when I feel this way, I am experiencing other general anxiety - often things in my life feel out of control or overwhelming, or my normal routine has been up-ended - all of which are the case currently, in addition to a dream I had right before getting up Monday for work : )

t.i.a. for listening & any help
#2 of 30 Old 06-30-2006, 10:00 AM

I would wager a guess that your bad dreams are, in large part, a result of your anxiety. Your subconscious is trying to sort through and work out the things that don't get properly processed during the day.

I know what you mean about the fear of death. I was pretty obsessed with those thoughts for quite a while. It sucks. They creep into all sorts of parts of your day.

Its great that you are working with a counselor...I think this is the best thing you can be doing right now. Does she have any suggestions as to exercises you can use when you find yourself thinking about death? Or books you could read to help you understand what's going on?

I use a lot of "thought stopping". When I find myself dwelling on a particular subject, I force myself to think about other things. I usually have a running list of topics I can switch my thoughts to. It's really difficult at first, but it does get easier. I also find that writing out my fears helps. Seeing them on paper rather than running willy nilly around my head seems to minimize the power they have.

Hang in there...things will get better!
#3 of 30 Old 07-03-2006, 04:56 PM

I have a huge fear of death - my own and anyone close to me. Health is becoming a worry, I think because I'm hitting the big 3-0 and thus contemplating not being really 'young' anymore, etc. Last night I couldn't sleep all night because I had a heart pounding/racing thing going on that was keeping me up and of course I manage to find something that tells me that it can be a precurser to a heart attack, etc. So I know how you feel somewhat. I am terrified of flying and that's connected to the death thing - I just feel like we are falling the whole time, etc. However, I force myself to fly if that's part of our plans, I just drug myself up to do it.

Sorry, no advice really!

Mightymoo - Mom to DD (6) and DS (4)
#4 of 30 Old 07-05-2006, 08:39 PM

I have the same thing, both the fear of dying (which then turns into anxiety or panic attacks) and anxiety that feels like my life is overwhelming and out of control telling yourself that the last time this happened, nothing bad hapened is really great for you to do. it s a form of biofeedback which ive been using myself as well. you re-teach your mind to think that when these feelings start, they arent bad, even though you ve felt that way in the past. over time it should ease the symptoms and hopefully eliminate them altogether. And seeing a counselor is great too. they can give you other tools to help re train your body to not get overwhelmed by the feelings of anxiety and ways to relax. i ve found breathing exercises help alot, both to ease the anxiety or prevent it from happening at all. heres the best i've found:
inhale through your nose for a count of 7. try and pull the air in so that your stomach rises, not only your chest, so the air reaches all the way to the bottom of your lungs (lots of people are shallow breathers which can increase anxiety symptoms). then exhale slowly through your mouth for a count of 11. if you run out of air, simply wait to inhale again until the end of 11. this does take practice but its helped me soooo much. i also try and read anything i can about others with the same anxiety issues as me, and that makes me feel alot better knowing im not alone. hope this helps and strong vibes your way!!
#5 of 30 Old 07-06-2006, 08:43 AM - Thread Starter

thanks for the replies - good suggestions (I will give them a try) and good to know I'm not alone (not that I would wish this anxiety on anyone!)

I've been doing some thinking about my various recurring fears and that has been a bit of a help, just to see that there is a pattern to them and when they come up - it helps me to see that they are less about the specific fear (fear of dying) than about feeling overwhelmed and out of control in general. I think. Now that doesn't make it feel any less scary or keep me from seeing all the "signs" that "prove" my fears are warrented... But hopefully over time it will.(?)

At this point I'm just so pissed off about dealing with this once again. I'm just so sick of it - I can see on one hand that it's ridiculous, but on the other feel like I'm powerless to stop the fear. I'm hoping that it's a good sign that I'm getting so angry about it - that maybe that will help move it.

thanks - I hope you guys find a way out, too.

-annie
#6 of 30 Old 07-10-2006, 09:27 AM

I think about this just about every day. My health isn't great and the docs haven't found out what's wrong with me yet.
I also suffer from anxiety/panic so I think I need to go on meds. I've reacted badly to 2 different antidepressants though so I'm worried.
#7 of 30 Old 07-21-2006, 09:33 PM

Oh god, when I saw the title of this thread I knew it was for me...unfortunately.

I thought I had that whole thing licked, but it has come back. I obsess more about dd dying then me though. But I also obsess about dh dying sometimes.
It just seems to take over my thoughts and before I realize it I'm way into this big scenario in my head. I can also get teared up and have tears leaking out of the corners of my eyes before I even realize that I am sucked up into this scenario in my head.
The last time this happened we (my therapist and I) could only guess the cause. My dd has a disability and a lot of health issues so the rational was that some of this was legitimate.

Now I have a better handle on the cause because all of those thoughts ended when DH got a job and our finances improved in a big way...which of course affected everything else in our lives too.

I'm a SAHM and DH is in total charge of making the money around here, so I think it is easy for me to feel out of control when he is not working and we are struggling. I feel helpless.

Well, now he hasn't been working and the thoughts have started creeping back in again.
It sucks beyond belief. Thankfully it is not a 24-7 thing like it was before. That was hard to handle.
I'm hoping it doesn't take over everything again.
I have the dreams like that too. I've only had one recently and I hope there is not more to come.

It is nice to hear from other people with the same issue. It doesn't make you feel so crazy

Hang in there

Me : , husband ,daughter Raven : 10-28-95 :
#8 of 30 Old 07-22-2006, 12:51 AM

When I am in a depresion mode I focus on that too...I am not afraid of being dead...I am mostly afraid of dying prematurly and not being there for dh and ds and missing them. I probably think more about dh and ds dying than myself, like the pp.

....I have had bad dreams my entire life..my dad says I was the only child who, out of nowhere, start crying about that my parents will die someday. Just the other day I said to my dh "what if my headaches mean I have a tumor" He said, "Death is not as common as you think, honey"...Then, thinking about it my chance of premature death is very low.

I can totally relate to being sucked into my thoughts...I will start a scary scenario too/or see a TV show/hear a true story about death and it will effects me terribly. I have to decide to think about something else and recite Bible verses to myself to get back to real life.

I just wanted to post my support..I have a feeling when I/we get past the root issues of anxiety the obsession with death will be decreased.

Jennifer s

homebirth.jpg<>< Mama to DS, DD, and a new baby girl 4/1! homeschool.gifmdcblog5.gif

#9 of 30 Old 07-22-2006, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by judejude
before I realize it I'm way into this big scenario in my head. I can also get teared up and have tears leaking out of the corners of my eyes before I even realize that I am sucked up into this scenario in my head.
This sounds a lot like me. I end up playing out these little dramas in my mind. Most people just don't think cry on a daily basis thinking about how devastated they would be if their DH or children died.

For me the financial thing is not a trigger. DH's work provides enough life insurance that we'd be set if he died. But I find I worry about my own sanity - if DH I honestly don't feel like I'd ever recover. And I'm not being dramatic, I'm seriously concerned about that. It seems really like I could let go of the death issues if I could just convince myself I wouldn't spend the rest of my life in the depths of despair? I used to worry that I would kill myself, but I feel that if my kids were still alive, I would never do that, though today DH took the kids to his parents overnight and I spent some time thinking about what if they all died in a car crash and I'm not sure I'd survive that.

I'm not sure talking about this is helping or only helping me dwell on it. I'm going to bed.

Mightymoo - Mom to DD (6) and DS (4)
#10 of 30 Old 07-22-2006, 01:10 AM

I have the same fear....but it's not something I want to get into tonight because I'm heading to bed. But trust me, your defenitely not alone.
#11 of 30 Old 07-24-2006, 04:57 PM

Lurking. This happens to me too. I have hated it for a long time. Sometimes it's fear of myself dying but right now it is centered around fear of losing DD and how that would totally destroy me as a person. Little things really get to me, even watching some types of movies. I have to not read the news sometimes because I hear about horrible things that happen to people and my brain starts playing out the scenario and substituting in people I care about, and the images haunt me to a point of almost interfering with my ability to function. When good things happen I start worrying that things are too good and that means something bad will happen soon.

After my psych classes I wondered if this might be a form of obsessive compulsive disorder. I know that the term is usually applied to people who have strict routines like excessive hand washing, but apparently there is also a form that involves dwelling on intrusive thoughts: http://understanding_ocd.tripod.com/ocd_obsessions.html

I don't know what if anything can be done about it. I noticed for me that it seems to come in waves. I'll feel normal for a few months and then start obsessing again for some unknown reason.
#12 of 30 Old 07-29-2006, 03:56 PM

I have this problem too. I have had it since ds was born 4 years ago. I have Graves disease which probably contributes to it quite a bit. Graves can be the cause of major anxiety, so you should look into it. Otherwise educate yourself on treatment for anxiety. Beta blockers can slow your heart rate and eliminate the physical aspects of anxiety which makes the thoughts easier to let go of.
I have a wonderful dh. He is very supportive of me when I feel this way, and has helped calm me down a lot over the years. He doesn't however do it the conventional way. He basically talks very openly about the reality that the things I am afraid of could happen although it is unlikely. For example: I am afraid to fly. I went into detail about a particular plane crash story that haunts me and he comforted me for a minute (sobbing) then talked about what those people actually went through before they died. I realized it wasn't quite what I had imagined.
Once, I was afraid to take a medication because of the listed side effects. We talked about why the doctor had chosen to prescribe, and whether I agreed with her, then he told me exactly what might happen and what he would do if I had some sort of allergic reaction. With his help I can acknlowlege the risk or possibility, and consider what I am afraid of so that while it becomes more real, it is okay. I think it's really one of the only things you can do without lying to yourself. The fact is that bad things happen. But they are not happening right now, and if they did, the experience wouldn't last forever. I hope that is not too morbid and that it makes sense. It works for me. If you feel yourself going into a panic attack focus on your breathing. It is not so much about the deepnes of the breaths, but the length. Count in 6 and out 8 as slowly as you possibly can. Completely fill and empty your lungs each time. If you are thinking about your breathing you are not thinking about anything else. I would then take the time to rationally evaluate your origional thought. Accept it, and then go on with your day. Good luck.
#13 of 30 Old 07-29-2006, 04:09 PM

I don't really have any other fears beside worrying about me or people in my family dying. Thank goodness I don't have it all the time either.

I wonder sometimes if being scared of your kid dying is just part of being a mom.
My friend who does not have any anxiety issues is always worried about something horrible happening to her kids. It doesn't take over her life or anything, but she does worry about it and it really bugs her. Like her husband took all the kids with him to visit her dad (which is 2 or 3 hours away) so that she could clean the house and whatever. She was happy to have the house to herself but then was thinking about them all dying in a car crash. The youngest is 2 and is still nursing, so I don't know if that makes you worry more when your child is not with you.

I just don't know because although I deal with depression and a lot of us on here have different mental health issues besides that, I just wonder if moms in general worry about bad things happening to their kids all the time.

I do also worry about me dying too, which I don't think my friend does.

I know we all have our own issues but I wonder if we posted this same thing under a non-mental health forum if there would be a ton of moms who worry about themselves or someone in their family dying---I don't know --- just wondering.

#14 of 30 Old 07-29-2006, 04:17 PM

I'm another one who has these fears...it started as a manifestation of PPD and just kept going. Then last October I had a very scary dream that said I had a year to live, so of course, that still freaks me the hell out. For awhile after Ryland died, I was afraid of going to sleep--there were 96 hours where I didn't sleep at all (landed me straight in the hospital too). So, for me, the thoughts were compounded by PPD and PTSD, but they're still scary. And still, even after a couple years of counseling, I'm still not convinced that everyone else is right and I'll be fine...

~Brandon Michael (11/23/03), Jocelyn Lily Nữ (2/4/07, adopted 5/28/07 from Vietnam), Amelia Rylie (1/14/09), & Ryland Josef William (9/7/05-9/7/05 @ 41 wks). 
#15 of 30 Old 07-29-2006, 04:32 PM

I went through a period of about a month at age 20 where I was so afraid of dying I was afraid to sleep. I was afraid I would stop breathing. It was awful and all-consuming.

Now I see that it was really a fear of the loss of control. I felt very out of control of my life at the time and was channeling my anxiety into fearing death, when really I was afraid of what was happening in my LIFE.

I did get counseling and some antidepressants, and they helped. While I would never want to relive that episode in my life, in some ways it was helpful to me, on a spiritual level. It forced me to confront my thoughts about death, God, the Big Questions. After I got through it I felt more comfortable thinking about these things and had a better understanding of my feelings regarding existence.

There is a book called Care of the Soul by Thomas Moore which talks about finding the good in depression and anxiety - finding the spiritual lessons there. Doing so doesn't mean that you wallow in the depression or refuse to get help or medication if needed - but that it is possible to realize that what you are going through is largely chemical or hormonal in nature but that it also provides the opportunity for spiritual and personal growth.

I will say that the fear of death does come up for me from time to time on a less intense level (I mean, the month I talked about earlier was truly horrible, I could not function and was in constant anguish and panic). It's probably what is behind my fear of flying on an airplane for which I must take Xanax when I have to fly. I try to explore the thoughts and fears I have as they come up and also monitor myself for other things that are out of balance in my life.

Another interesting book is a novel called White Noise by Don DeLillo. One of the main characters, a woman, takes an illegal pill that cancels out the fear of death, and the novel centers around these issues. It's definitely not a self-help book, but it was a very good book for me to read after I went through the episode of intense anxiety and fear of death.
#16 of 30 Old 08-04-2006, 05:41 PM

I think about it all the time. I have trouble sleeping at night thinking about my children dying. I lurk on grief and loss forums as if that in some way might prevent? prepare me? I don't know but I drive myself crazy. I've actually been doing it all day today until I found this forum and though thank God I'm not the only one.

My children are beautiful and healthy and yet every single day I get myself into a panic at some point that something will happen to them, like they are too good for this world.

I have chest spasms that either are or cause panic attacks. I feel like I'm going to have a heart attack any day, or get cancer, or some other weird disease as yet undiscovered.

I have weird tendencies like I won't start my son's first year scrapbook until he's over a year old. I won't put the passing month stickers on his calendar until he actually reaches that age. If my daughter draws something on something she's not supposed to draw on I won't clean it off because I'm afraid something will happen to her.

I feel like an idiot. I feel like I'm crazy and I'm going to raise crazy children.
#17 of 30 Old 08-04-2006, 05:51 PM

OK, but I am interested in knowing if besides these fears does everyone on this thread already have other mental health issues, like depression, anxiety, etc.

I'm trying to figure out how much of this is a mom thing and how much is a mental health issue. Obviously it can be both or whatever, but I'm just wondering, like I've said before, if we posted this in the general parenting forum if other moms would have some of the same fears.

#18 of 30 Old 08-04-2006, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roseq
I have weird tendencies like I won't start my son's first year scrapbook until he's over a year old. I won't put the passing month stickers on his calendar until he actually reaches that age. If my daughter draws something on something she's not supposed to draw on I won't clean it off because I'm afraid something will happen to her.
I am superstitious myself and although I do not go as far as you do I can really relate to it. I have tattoos but I would never get her name tattooed on me.

That has got to be difficult for you to have all those feelings so much. Thank goodness mine are not as often now. I hope they don't come back to being all the time.

DD is going for surgery this month so I hope it won't start up again then.

#19 of 30 Old 08-04-2006, 08:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by judejude
OK, but I am interested in knowing if besides these fears does everyone on this thread already have other mental health issues, like depression, anxiety, etc.

I'm trying to figure out how much of this is a mom thing and how much is a mental health issue. Obviously it can be both or whatever, but I'm just wondering, like I've said before, if we posted this in the general parenting forum if other moms would have some of the same fears.
I've had depression in the past. I know my mom friends speak of fears and such but they seem to be able to turn it off. I think all Moms have those fears, but I think I personally go overboard. My friends seem to be able to shake it off.

Although, I do have one really "sane" friend (lol, I mean no history of any mental health issues) who has this superstition that involves changing of plans. For example, if she was supposed to bring her son home, then her friend says "oh I'll just bring him home on my way to the store", or something like that it really freaks her out, like something will happen because he was not where he was meant to be originally.
#20 of 30 Old 08-06-2006, 03:31 PM

I have fear all the time. I am scared I am going to die. I convince myself that someone has to be the miniscule percentage of people that die of XYZ and it will probably be me. I think that I have pain or discomfort that I manifest it into reality. Then I worry that if I convince myself that nothing is wrong and I dont find the cause of my symptoms it will be too late and if I would have listened to my body I would have lived longer. The problem is that I dont trust my head or my body.
Its so frustrating. I am 4 months PP and I should be happy and enjoying my wonderful 3 boys but I am nervous all the time.

I think that having a new little person around of course makes you think about life and how wonderful it is but at the same time new life has an opposite and I just cant find a balance.

If I really have myself convinced I am dying I have to tell myself that if I am really kicking the bucket this time that death with be a great adventure and you might be able to prolong life but you cant prevent death. Everyone has their time and I must find my grace again.

My dh is really fed up with this obsession of mine. A while back it was my appendix, then cervical cancer, theres always breast cancer and heart attack, and my liver and then my fear of anestesia and hospitals.
Anaphalactic shock is the worst though. I worry at night that I will be bit by a spider and go into anaphalactic shock. Its sounds silly to write this!!!

My dh is doing a paper route, a bundle hauling route for a guy and he will be gone at night for 10 more nights. Just having him in the house with me greatly reduces my anxiety. When he is gone its much worse. Well last night I found that if I laid in bed and tried to recall the details of my childrens's births and then whats happened chronologically up to now I could only get so far before I fell asleep. Of course though I had to remind myself that remembering all this to calm myself down and give myself something to think about is not a sign of my life flashing before my eyes!

I am so sorry that others have to go through this too. Its really awful, but I dont think I will be like this forever.
~Angela~
#21 of 30 Old 08-07-2006, 11:45 AM

I go through periods where I am afraid of dying. It's usually when I am depressed. Medications have helped with it. My fear is that death is the end and there is no afterlife. I've gotten to a place where I believe there is an afterlife and that quells my fears of death quite a bit.

I also worry about loved ones dying.
#22 of 30 Old 08-07-2006, 09:26 PM

Hey, just to throw this in the mix --- DH told me that he has these same issues. I was shocked. He said that he never told me because since he knew I worried about it he was worried that it would make me feel worse or that he wasn't being there for me.

Anyway, he said he thinks it has to do with depression more than just being a parent. He didn't go into detail, but he said that he worries about him and/or loved ones dying too. Sounded like it doesn't consume him, but that it comes and goes.

#23 of 30 Old 08-09-2006, 03:12 AM

I have this same problem but what i mostly worry about is my ds. I also get thoughts into my head about all sorts of awful things happening, diseases, accidents, choking. It's so bad that i try to avoid him driving with anyone else other than me, even his own dad. I just worry so much i cant help it. Sometimes i really wouldent mind time to myself but i cant let him go out without me, if he doesnt have too. I still cut his food small and he's almost 4. I really hope i can figure out how to deal with this since it will be tough in the next few years when he starts school and starts to do stuff with his friends.
#24 of 30 Old 08-09-2006, 02:36 PM

I worry about myself, son and husband dying in a car accident. We drive twice a year to visit family about 600+ miles away. All this all started about 9 months ago when we witnessed an accident. A man had crashed his car in the median and was flown from his car and was lying dead in the road. We saw chunks of his body scattered. It was horrible.

We cried for hours in the car driving home.
#25 of 30 Old 08-10-2006, 07:24 PM

Same issues here, and it is horrible. Like many of you, I go through "phases" when it feels all-consuming and other times when I feel relatively normal. I have convinced myself I've had many different terminal or degenerative illnesses over the years, I've gone as far as to have medical tests done for many, and then scond opinions...and still not believed any of them. When ds (my first child) was born, I subjected him to MRIs and eegs at 10 weeks because I became convinced his newborn twitches were seizures. (They weren't.) If I know DH is home bathing the baby while I am at work, I envision him passing out (for no reason- he has no health condition) and her drowning. I have been diagnosed with anxiety because of this, but I really don't manifest other symptoms of anxiety. I have no fears other than death of myself or loved ones. My 6 year old son, however, has been diagnosed with anxiety and sometimes obsessive thoughts and compulsive behaviors. Since this is hereditary, I am thinking he got it from me.
#26 of 30 Old 08-10-2006, 10:43 PM

Hello fellow worriers! It's so sad to hear how much everyone here is suffering, yet so comforting to know I'm not alone in my fears. Gotta keep this short, as DS will be finished with dinner soon but just wanted to share a few things. I just finished a 4 month course of therapy focused on the techniques of cognitive behavioral and acceptance committment therapies. In a nutshell, the main things I got out of them were

- We greatly overestimate the probability of something bad happening, and underestimate our ability to deal with it.
-Pain and suffering are part of the human condition. It's natural to worry and to have fears. Instead of fighting my worries and thinking I'm crazy or that something bad really *is* going to happen (like I have that kind of magical power ) I try to trust and accept what my mind is doing. For instance, my mind knows that I love DH and DS immensely, and fears that something happening to them is just my mind confirming how much I love them and how terrible it would be if something bad did happen to them. That's why I have those "bad" thoughts - because I love them. It's very comforting, in a way.

Does that 2nd part make any sense? I dunno - hard to explain it. There's a book by Stephen Hayes called "Get Out of Your Mind and into Your Life" (hate the title - cue the Billy Ocean) that has exercises to deal with accepting your mind. It's based on Acceptance Committment Therapy. I'll post reviews once I get it, or if anyone else wants to check it out, let me know about your experience!
#27 of 30 Old 08-15-2006, 01:00 AM

Hi, everyone! I wanted to jump in on this thread, because I have been making myself sick with worry about my dad dying. Last summer, an x-ray during a routine exam found a spot on his lungs, and for a few weeks, everyone thought he had lung cancer. He was convinced that he had it. I could hear the catch in his voice over the phone when we talked. For the next two weeks, I did nothing but worry about him and think about the horror of death, and the horror of his being gone from this world that he loves so much. To everyone's immense relief, the spot turned out to be a scar from a fungus left by breathing in blackbird feces. It was harmless! But my life changed after that, and from here on out, I'll be anticipating and trying to prepare myself for his death. He has stomach ulcers and doesn't eat much, so everytime I see him he looks thinner, plus he'll be turning 65 this fall.

I know how lucky we were that the spot turned out to be nothing. A lot of people don't get the second chance we did. I just get so overwhelmed with grief when I think about the reality and inevitability of death, especially the deaths of my parents, and my father in particular. Not a day goes by that I don't get upset from thinking about it and dwelling on it. This usually happens at night, when I'm lying in bed next to my sweet DS, but sometimes I get overwhelmed with sadness during the day, while watching TV or walking down the street, or buying groceries.

Sorry, I know there's not much to say to this! I just feel really hopeless about losing my parents.
#28 of 30 Old 08-15-2006, 01:06 AM

I have a CONSTANT paranoia of dying, i even vision my own death on a daily basis...
USUALLY involving a vehicle with my son in the back..

I am scared ****less of my son walking out onto balconies, or ledges, or walking on the side walk ( he tends to run out onto the street for NO reason even though i STRESS to him that cars will hit him ) so i try and stear clear from taking him outside unless my s/o is with me.

Driving to my IL's and MOTHERS is like a horror movie.. im on edge EVERY minute until we arrive.. i can't sleep in cars in fear that i will get into an accident and never wake up..

I refuse to go out onto balconies myself.. or ledges ( which is part of why i wont let my son, the other part is because hes only 2 1/2 and will more than likely lose his balance.. and not to mention its just wrong )

everytime we get into the car i pull on the harness straps of his car seat to make sure they are tight and in place securely, then i try and wobble his seat to make sure it isn't loose...

i tighten my own seat belt REALLY tight also...
#29 of 30 Old 08-15-2006, 08:58 PM

You sound like me.
#30 of 30 Old 10-24-2006, 11:12 PM
Banned

Wow, imagine that, all my kindred spirits in one little thread!

I started worrying about dying a lot when I had my children. I was always a slight hypochondriac, but not bad. Now I'm awful. I had to laugh reading one of the pp's comments about worrying from one disease to the next...

I do know that having kids made me worry more. The thought of leaving them makes me cry. Then my mom died last year when DD was just 8 weeks old. It shook me up. Losing her when I had just become a mother again to DD ( my second child) was so strange. It made me connect more to my mom just as she was leaving us...

I am in excellent health, knock wood, but I've had some scary encounters with suspicious moles on my skin. One was precancerous and had to be removed with a large margin of skin, and I had to have follow-up exams every 6 months for 2 years. Just today I had another suspicious one biopsied so here I am worrying again. Like the pps I can get all worked up before I have all the information. So many times I've driven myself nuts and it always turns out to be nothing. But I'm always afraid my luck will run out.

Sometimes I worry that I must have some form of OCD or something...I function just fine, I am probably the most normal person in the world to my neighbors and friends...but I worry too much and I get so mad at myself. It's like the song "The Rose" by Bette Midler..."and the one afraid of dying..who never learns to live".

I try not to watch the news, read women's magazines, etc. because they are always full of gloom and doom and the latest disease to watch out for. Sure information is a good thing,but let's face it, too much of a good thing is really bad!

I just wanted to chime in to everyone's comments here...glad I'm not alone!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page