relief for phantom nerve pain - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 2 Old 07-07-2006, 01:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi,
My husband is in severe pain from a amputation of his lower left leg. It has been 8 years. He has tried numerous anti - seizure medications. They just make him crazy and depressed. He does use the lanocane patch on his stump, to relieve stump pain that does seem to work. Now the doc is convinced if he had a good sleeping habit. His pain will go away, so he is on some sleeping pill that doesn't put him to sleep until he goes to work the next day. Nothing these crazy docs give him seems to work. I don't know if anyone has any experience with this.

Any non medical suggestions we will try. The doc told him 3 things can happen with severe chronic nerve pain. 1- control the pain 2- become clinically depressed, 3- become clinically insane.

Oh wonderful, I don't like the last 2.

Any info would be deeply appreciated.
#2 of 2 Old 07-08-2006, 09:09 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What a horrible thing to have to deal with. I will share my experience, although it's not quite the same and I don't know if it would be helpful.

About five years ago I was having horrible nerve pain in the facial area. I actually went to the dentist initially, because it happened when I ate - especially if the food was hot, cold, or crunchy/hard - I would get this crazy, severe, shooting pain up through my face and nose, down my jaw, and it would last for hours. Turned out not to be a tooth problem, and it was eventually diagnosed as nerve pain - "atypical" trigeminal neuralgia (the "typical type is fleeting - just the same horrible pain, only for a few seconds at a time then it goes away).

So, the neurologist wanted me to go on tegretol (anti-seizure medication) every day for the rest of my life. But, I was still nursing my son, a one-year-old at the time, and wasn't ready to wean, so I declined for the time being. (Also, I didn't like what I'd seen of the side effects from observing other family members on anti-seizure meds.)

Anyway, at some point not long afterward, I had a bad asthma episode and my usual meds weren't working, so I had to go on a ten-day course of oral prednisone. I won't say it's been completely cured, but since that time I have not had the nerve pain return with nearly the severity I was suffering from before that.

I asked the neurologist about it later, and he admitted that steroids (prednisone is one) could work in that case, and I asked him why he wouldn't use it then? His response was "side effects". Well, ten days vs. a lifetime of daily pills - I'd at least try it! (Not too much later I stopped going to him, for that and other reasons.)

Perhaps something similar would be worth a try for your dh?

ETA - Oh, in re-reading your post, I see you are looking for non-medical solutions, but I have offered a medical idea, sorry about that.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page