what are better meds for depression? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#31 of 36 Old 11-17-2006, 02:16 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Bendmom, I suspect that most of us who use alcohol and MJ do not use it for the primary depressive syndrome but for its natural corollary, anxiety.

Almost everyone I know who suffers from depression also suffers from anxiety. I know I do. For me, the depression is easier to manage than the anxiety because depression does not cause panic that does not allow me to think. Intense anxiety is also dangerous for me in particular because I am a self-injurer.

It is for that more anxious side of my depression that I use quick-acting non-pharma psychotropics like MJ and alcohol.

But if someone finds that MJ helps then that is great.

To me it frankly does not matter that I cannot know for certain what the level of THC is in my MJ (hypothetically speaking, since I don't have any). It is not a dangerous substance, except for possibly in its potential effects on lifestyle.

Also, I object to your description of depression. This is the most common general picture of depression but depression is far from that simple. A depression that is in combination with PTSD for example, may likely result from a person caring *too much* and being unable to cope with intrusive thoughts and feelings. Not all depressions are as cut and dried as your description implies.
#32 of 36 Old 11-17-2006, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bendmom View Post
MJ for depression? How could you recomend this?
I'm sorry it made you worse, however w/o it I don't know where I would be. My depression is helped greatly by mj use. When I start getting depressed, I already don't care. I stop taking care of myself and my house, and sadly my DS, while not neglected, certainly doesn't have the best care. So I use MJ, b\c the small amount I use motivates me, I begin to play more with my son, I clean up the house, then upon doing that, I begin to feel better, and it stops my downward spiral.

Now, I will make it clear, I don't think you should sit around and get stoned all day, I find many people who have negative mj experiences simply smoked too much. If I smoke too much, it can trigger a depressive episode. That said, I know my dose, and I would hate to think there's people out there who are missing the many benefits of marijuana simply b/c of misinformaton, or someone telling them it will make them worse (Like my therapist told me for so many years during my adolescence while he put me on meds that melted my brain, and turned me into a completely different person) At one point my doc had me taking a pill an hour before I planned to sleep, and let the pill put to me sleep, then set an alarm for an hour earlier than I planned to wake, and let the pill wake me, then after breakfast I'd take another pill to 'stablize' my mood. I felt like a zombie, that's when I stopped, and NOTHING has worked like making the lifestyle changes essential to a healthy being, and my use of marijuana. And of course using quantum physics to create my own reality, which is why I always reccomend people to watch the movie "What the Bleep do we Know?"
#33 of 36 Old 11-17-2006, 12:04 PM

I agree with earthie-mama. In my experience, MJ affects everyone differently (just like the pharma does). My experience was similar to earthie-mama's. My depression manifested in pretty extreme anger that made it exceptionally difficult to be a good mama to 3 little ones by myself for 10 hours a day. Having a puff or two helped immensely to change my mood to a positive one. Another big issue for me was not being able to sleep and I found that MJ helped me fall asleep at night. This reduced the chance of sleep deprivation, which was a MAJOR trigger for me. I'd also agree that not knowing how much THC was not an issue since it's not toxic at any level. And FTR, I had a wonderful organic trusted source. Your post states your experience very well, but it doesn't really speak to mine.

tie-dyed, to respond to your "could we all be a little more open" question, I don't think anyone was closed. And for everything you said in your post (and explained in a later post), your first post on this thread did say "It's all about the lifestyle changes" which to me implied that you thought what worked for you would work for everyone. Then folks came on and said why it wasn't all about the lifestyle changes for *them.* nobody said you were wrong or that they weren't open to lifestyle changes/natural rememdies. In my experience, I was actually open to them to a fault. I resisted pharma for a couple awful angry years. I am a completely changed woman on wellbutrin, and I feel very fortunate that it worked for me so completely and so quickly.

namaste.gif

#34 of 36 Old 11-17-2006, 12:47 PM

Wow! you certainly have made some broad generalizations here!

Quote:
MJ for depression? How could you recomend this? MJ causes anxiety, depression, and placates you. So fine you feel better smoking it, but it's not making you better, it's making you *not care*. MJ cannot be controlled in growth so what if she got some that was really weak, what would be the point? Or something incredibly strong and things became worse? MJ helps those that are terminally ill because it numbs you, and makes you not care so much. That is not what a depressed person wants to be. A person with depression wants to be able to live a normal life, and MJ just doesn't provide that.
MJ is like anything else, including prescription drugs...it affects each person in a different way. To some, MJ may create more anxiety...to some it simply takes the anxietal or depressive edge off. Some people are motivated after they partake while others become blobs. Bendmom, you have suggested in so many words that MJ makes you feel a certain way. There is no way to say how it makes other people as you are not other people and cannot know how anything affects other people, whether it be MJ, St Johh's, or the list of prescriptions you have mentioned here.

I find that prescriptions are overwritten for things such as antidepressants and antibiotics. There are many people who seriously need these drugs...but there are also drug companies who are seriously pushing these drugs.

If I was to go to a dr. and to describe how new life as a mother might feel some days, that dr. may very well do little more than write me a scrip for something like prozac. I'm not saying that this is always the case...but in my past experience, I have found that more dr.'s are more eager to write out a scrip than they are to actually spend the time examining their patients. Dr.'s office can be mere assembly lines these days.

Quote:
Also, when using a natural alternative, you do not know how much you are getting. There is no control over dose or how much is in a natural medication. I did a study on St. John's Wart and five of the top leading natural remedy companie's pills contained either way over the advertised dose, or way under. Until they can prove to me that the medicine they provide contains exactly what they say it does, I would rather not risk my health.
While one might be aware of the dose of what she's getting in a prescription drug, she may not be aware of the ways in which this drug may work, unless she's got a really good pharmacist. Many people are unaware of the long list of side-effects that chemical-based drugs can create. Many people are also unaware of how these drugs are tested and created. Drug companies are not exactly environmentally or physically friendly.

You are right to say that with a natural alt. one may not know the actual dosage...However, there are people like herbalists and naturopaths who are aware of how to work with herbs and to play with dosages until the right amt. is administered.

Quote:
For the record I tried Prozac, Zoloft, Lexapro (Started taking to help with alchoholism from self medicating my depression), and am now taking Wellbutrin. I like where I am and like the Wellbutrin. But not all medications work for everybody since our chemical make up is different. I also switched to a vegetarian diet, excersize constantly, meditate, do yoga religiously, and attend the occational church services. Doing a marathon this summer was proof positive to me that the medication and change of lifestyle worked.
You have obviously been down a long road trying to treat the problems you've had. It sounds to me as if you are practicing a healthy lifestyle and are working constantly to find a balance in your life. From what you write, you have replaced your negative habits with more positive habits. WHile this may work for you, it may not work for everyone else.

I once took Wellbutrin to quit smoking...it didn't help me in the least and it made me feel very obsessive/compulsive. The same goes for prozac...while I took prozac for depression, it made me so happy and energetic that I didn't know what to do with myself.

One final note, for some MJ is a wonder drug. It does not offer nasty side effects like dry mouth or bad taste in mouth. It does not inhibit sleep (while it can induce it ). It does not need to be taken on a full stomach. And one does not need to be weaned from it if they choose to no longer use it.

WHile it obviously didn't work for you, Bendmom, you should not say that it will not work for other people. Not everyone has had your experience.
#35 of 36 Old 11-17-2006, 01:45 PM

ANd to address the original topic (which I think I forgot to do in the last post)...I've not had a ton of luck with antidepressants in the least. I have found that drinking chamomile, lavender, or catnip tea is helpful...walking (long walks) are always good...writing or keeping a journal...and yoga are all alternatives to try. Also a good shoulder to cry on, someone to talk to who understands (whether it be a close friend/family member or a counselor), and relating to others who ahve had the same experiences has been helpful for me.
#36 of 36 Old 11-18-2006, 05:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tie-dyed View Post
I was mostly miffed at the pp's who responded to my careful and specific post with a blanket "that doesn't work for everyone" and by stating that "some people find meds scary" and that she doesn't experience side-effects.

It really chaps my hide when here on MDC folks respond to suggestions of a natural or mostly solution with blanket statements and generalizations that fail to even address the point made.

If I'm off on a rant here it's bc every time, without exception, I've mentioned natural solutions I've gotten slammed for saying no one should use meds, which is never the case.
For me, the problem I had with your post was not the mention of natural meds, but rather the blanket statement "It's all about the lifestyle choices." I don't think you were slammed; I think people just responded to this rather encompassing statement. It chaps my hide when people overgeneralize

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page