anyone with bipolar taken meds throughout pregnancy?? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 08-30-2006, 07:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i've gotten some wonderful support from my friends over in the "bipolar no-meds" thread, but thanks to yesterday's visit with the psychiatrist, i am more convinced that going without meds while ttc and the first trimester may be more dangerous than the meds themselves.

so, i was just hoping that some of you wonderful ladies could tell me about your experience with bipolar meds during pregnancy. i've read a bit on the threads about BFing with lamictal, etc...

i am currently on lithium (have been for almost a decade) recently stepped down in dose to 600/day just to see how i do -- if i respond well the doctor will let me stay on the low dose until he sees i need more/something else while ttc and through pregnancy.

i would greatly love it if i could hear something more than "bipolar meds will kill your baby so don't get pregnant", which is pretty much all i've found on other boards.

thank you so much for your help!!

Rachel. Devoted wife and joyful mama to Beatrice June(2/25/08) and Leona Agnes (8/10/10).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 6 Old 08-30-2006, 09:54 PM

Not sure if this is much help, but I know that I have read studies that showed it was more important to keep the mother even-keel mentally for the mental health of the baby.

Basically, if you go off your meds, whatever ups and downs you go through, your baby goes through and it can skew their brain chemistry forever.

I don't remember it mentioning lithium per se, but it did talk about prozac (what I took throughout pregnancy after reading and studying) and how its been around long enough to observe no real adverse effects. Lithium is the same way. I know lithium has been around along time and its unlikely that people have never taken it while prego.

In fact, often people don't know they are prego right away and so are on whatever meds they were taking and are passing that on to the babe without knowing.

I just wanted to reassure you that the best thing to do for yourself at all stages of ttc and pregnancy and post, is to keep your mind as even-keel as possible. Its the best for you AND the best for your baby!

with smiles
#3 of 6 Old 08-30-2006, 11:56 PM

when i was coming off depakote ttc my doc had me taking 4 mg (standard vitamin is mcg) folic acid to counter any impact on spinal development.
#4 of 6 Old 09-02-2006, 04:55 PM

When I first found out I was pregnant I was frantic because I was on Lamictal and Wellbutrin. I REALLLLLLY wanted to go off of them but my md recommended that I stay on them and told me that Lamictal was the less harmful one of the two. (Her daughter is 9 and on it and she said that she wouldnt put her on anything else) Its really hard to know what to do, I went back and forth with it during the first few months but came to the decision that it is better for me to be happy (I am doing really well on these, no side effects, no crying spells...) and be on them then to risk the possibility of getting very depressed without them which can be even more harmful to the baby. I am still on them and due in two weeks. Now I am trying to figure out if I should stay on them for breastfeeding. Hope this helped. If you have any knowledge about bfing please let me know.
#5 of 6 Old 09-04-2006, 04:04 PM

I found out from my doctor that lamictal wouldn't be a very good choice to stay on during pregnancy because they just found out a few months ago that it can cause cleft lip. She also told me that she has known women not to have this happen. It is just something to keep in mind. Hope it helps and good luck!
#6 of 6 Old 09-04-2006, 05:38 PM - Thread Starter

yes, i just read a release by GSK about the occurance of cleft palate in babies exposed to lamictal. it came out on august 1st. it's sort of sad because everyone was hoping that lamotrigine was going to be the answer!

once again, lithium is proving to be the lesser of many evils.

Rachel. Devoted wife and joyful mama to Beatrice June(2/25/08) and Leona Agnes (8/10/10).

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page