SAD- seasonal affective disorder, anyone? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 17 Old 09-11-2006, 03:36 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
well, it's that lovely time again!

the air is chilling, the days are shortening. I can smell fall when I step outside. And tonight, we cooked a stick to your ribs, cold weather type meal so the house smells of butter and potatoes and is really making me depressed- the summer is truly over.

:

soooo I need to stay happy! ack. I hate this time of year.

DD1 7/13/05 DD2 9/20/10
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 17 Old 09-11-2006, 03:46 AM
Banned

I had a hard time when I first moved from the 33rd parallel to the 49th. I never knew that the lower 48 could get arctic winds! I was totally unprepared for so much dark and greyness. It took me years to get this all organized but now I know that I need to get outside as much as possible in the fall/winter. Even a small amount of fresh air and daylight helps. I also put full spectrum light bulbs in the lights that I spend the most time near: my bedroom reading lamp, my desk lamp, and the living room lamps. It really helps. And, exercise helps. I do yoga as it is too dark after dh gets home from work for me to walk by myself. But, I do take dd to the park often in the fall/winter. There is just as much outdoor fun to be had in winter as in summer - you just have to look harder.

Try googling seasonal affective disorder for more tips. It is something you can control.
#3 of 17 Old 09-15-2006, 02:13 AM

I suffered from SAD. Good coping skills and a little pot do the trick for me. I wish I had known about the medicinal effects of marijuana sooner, I would have used it a long time ago and saved myself and my family a LOT of heartache. It had gotten to the point we were considering moving south. The pot is not enough on it's own, or the coping skills (eat well, sleep well, outside time) It has to be both for me.
#4 of 17 Old 09-15-2006, 12:35 PM

I use full-spectrum lights like Boongirl does. I have a square table/desk lamp that I sit in front of for 30 minutes each morning. My DH thinks it makes a real difference. Also, like boongirl suggested, I get outside as much as possible.

Google "Full spectrum lights" if you're interested in finding out more about the various makes/models of lamps available.

Best to you!
#5 of 17 Old 09-17-2006, 07:33 PM

I've been researching lights for about 3 yrs now and I'm still not clear -- what is the difference between full spectrum bulbs and a SADD box?

My dh purchases full spectrum bulbs, but they are flourecent and not very bright, I see no point in them -- unless they are just labeled this way, but really are not what one means in the SADD dept when someone says FULL SPECTRUM.

I'd like to buy a SADD light box, I think it will be my best option. I've been wanting 1 for 3 yrs and well at this point so early into the fall and feeling this bad -- It is a must.
#6 of 17 Old 09-17-2006, 08:58 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Yep, it affects me too. I just found this out last year when we moved from southeast GA to WA, just west of Seattle. The short, cold, rainy days really affected me last winter and I'm worried about it now that we are approaching that time of year again. My DH is at sea so it's just me and the kids, my family is on the east coast. I'm not looking forward to winter.

Chaotic uc.jpg homeschool.gif mama to 5 plus a bonus one on the way.  stork-suprise.gif

chicken3.gif

#7 of 17 Old 09-21-2006, 02:23 AM

I know what you mean. Where I am winter is just ending. We had the most horrible cold grey winter... And I was misrible for the whole lot of it :. I never knew it was a thing that so many people experience with a name and everything... I just thought it was a strange me thing, its a releif to find out it's not....! And that there are things that can be done to make it a little better
#8 of 17 Old 09-24-2006, 03:59 AM

I moved from southern Idaho, which is high mountain desert, to Olympia, Washington. I didn't think the dark was going to affect me, but boy did it ever. My Dh bought a small light box at CostCo. It was under $200. Really worth it.

:
Isn't this an appropriate emoticon for all of us that live in western Washington?
#9 of 17 Old 09-24-2006, 05:55 AM

#10 of 17 Old 09-25-2006, 11:59 PM

#11 of 17 Old 09-26-2006, 12:04 AM

:
#12 of 17 Old 09-26-2006, 10:34 PM

This is the type of Sad Box I've been looking at and pining for.
http://alaskanorthernlights.com/usage.html
But I think this is the site I've been looking at for a few years
http://www.lighttherapyproducts.com/products_lamps.html
These are the stupid light bulbs my dh has all over the house - I detest the florecent bulbs
http://www.lighttherapyproducts.com/Compactbulbs.html

I use 2 lamps at my sewing machine which are full spectrum, OTT-LITE. I'd like that kind of light all over my house!
#13 of 17 Old 10-08-2006, 01:12 AM

I hate my sad... I moved from MD to TX... and everyone here want it to cool down.
Inside I'm screaming NO! Sun, do not set earlier then yesterday! etc.
Good times.
#14 of 17 Old 10-08-2006, 02:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotusbeans View Post
Is this the one you got? How do you like it?
Light box
That's the one, exactly. I like it. I noticed a big difference last year about 3-4 weeks after I started using it. I used it until April. Very soon I'm going to dig it out and put it on the computer table.
#15 of 17 Old 10-18-2006, 01:41 AM

I also suffer from SAD, just got officially diagnosed last year. I hate being cooped up with the kids, hate the early darkness, but most of all, I hate the cold. I try, I really do, to be positive, keep busy, get outside, but the cold really does me in. It seems the older I get, the less I can tolerate it.

We have discussed moving south or at least spending part of the winter in Florida but that's not really a possibility at this point.

I just can't imagine this will ever get better or I will ever like the cold again.

I would love to hear how others cope. I intend to get a light, try to walk outside as much as I can tolerate, invest in some good quality winter outerwear, stay busy, exercise at YMCA.

What about everyone else?
#16 of 17 Old 10-18-2006, 08:30 AM

Well, I know I have SAD. I grew up just north of the Equatoral Line!!!!!!! The sun rose and set withint the same 35 minute span every day 365 days a year! We first moved to TX and I had it there, now we're further north in VA and I've got it here.

I have an extremely hard time with the sun rising late and setting early. I never had a watch, I cooked dinner when the sun was at a certain point. I'd wake up and now by the sun light that it was time to get up, I did have an alarm clock to get up with though, so days with rainy season the sun would be gone and the day would start out gloomy. Imagine what it is like in our house -- summer time dinner is forgotten until it is too late simply b/c it never occurred to me that the hours were passing and the sun was still high and winter it's too early to cook when the sun sets so I then forget again. I've gotten better over the last 5 years, but it's hard to break 20 + years of habit.

Yeah, I don't like the cold, but it beats the allergies I have in the summer/fall. The gloominess gets to me the most -- yesterday, rain all day! There is rain the on vehicles now, I wonder if the sun will shine today at all.

When you grow up without 4 seasons, the seasons are pretty nifty to watch. But I also grew up where the climate was a constant temperature and you didn't have to decide to bring the jacket or not, wear long or short sleeves, sneakers or sandles -- running late and then stepping outside to find it's cold is frustrating, everyone has to stop, drop what they have and get a jacket, the pick up what they were bringing out and start again and it's 10 minutes plus with little kids who all need mom to do it for them.

The inconsistency of sun light truly is my biggest issue, I can deal with the cold if the sun would just rise and set on a consistent basis, my days are all screwed up when it does not. I've been in the US for 8 years now and I still have issues.
#17 of 17 Old 10-18-2006, 09:20 AM

I Fall and Winter seasons, it's just the shorter days that get to me. DH and I were talking about it last night. He reminded me about the time change this weekend. Thank goodness. I get confused when to cook dinner, because it's dark, but I'm not hungry yet.: My internal clock gets thrown off I think. I open all the blinds and curtins in the daytime, and that helps me. I really feel worse in the summer-I know i'm crazy, but it gets so hot here, we keep it really dark in here to keep it cool, and it is really hard for me to get moving without any light. At least I can enjoy the light in the cooler months.

Kaara

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=802589268Blissed out Mama of 4 Peace.gif

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page