Mothering Forums

Mothering Forums (http://www.mothering.com/forum/)
-   Mental Health (http://www.mothering.com/forum/317-mental-health/)
-   -   What does depression look like in you? (http://www.mothering.com/forum/317-mental-health/520914-what-does-depression-look-like-you.html)

Electra375 09-14-2006 03:37 PM

Sometimes I'm thinking I'm just lazy. Like today, sitting here most of the morning reading stuff on the computer and doing nothing. My youngest got up later than usual and my 2nd youngest is self entertaining. I got them a snack at 11am and then finally decided to get everyone lunch a little bit later.

I have ZERO energy. I don't feel like doing ANYTHING. I didn't feel like getting lunch ready, I cheated and served microwave mac&cheese: I have sewing projects to do. I have a wahj that needs doing. I have laundry to do, some has to be done in the next hour for my oldest to have clothes for soccer practice. I have a kitchen floor that is just disasterous. I will need to cook dinner earlier than usual so my ds1 can eat before soccer and nothing is out of the freezer yet.

All I'd really like to do is sit here or go to bed. Neither of which will get anything done or be good for my 2 little ones who are starting to get into stuff.

My dh notices that I'm not feeling up to snuff. I haven't been in my current pregnancy. I think it worries him that I'm not happy. It's not that I'm not happy, I just so tired and don't feel like doing anything most days.

I thought opening the windows for fresh air would help. But it's been so gloomy here this entire week with little to no sunshine, I'm not sure what I was hoping for with fresh air.

I probably need to excerise, but I don't have the energy to even walk downstairs to start laundry.

Any natural remedies that you find successful when you are feeling depressed? Sun light is out for a few more days.

What puts pep in you?

loving-my-babies 09-14-2006 03:40 PM

this was my number one symtom when I found out I had depression. I don't know about any natural remedies, perhaps you can call Tom Cruise and ask him to share his expertise?

anyway, for me, zoloft has helped a lot.

Carmen

Bartock 09-14-2006 03:43 PM

Not wanting to be seen by or talking to other people, and anger, like really irratable and getting angry easy. Celexa has helped, but not with the anger part.

sapphire_chan 09-14-2006 03:47 PM

Yep, sounds like how depression is in me. Ironically, the thing that helps most with not wanting to do *anything* is to do *something*. Especially something outdoors and physical.

Electra375 09-14-2006 03:55 PM

Maybe I should do something medically about this... I was just thinking I was having a bad day, but I have more days like this than I have good days. I've had depresssion before, but I'm in denial this go around I'm gathering.

Electra375 09-14-2006 04:23 PM

I posted in the Prego section about this briefly and decided after 1 reply that I need to seek medical treatment for this.

I've left a message with my fp to make an appt.

Mylittlevowels 09-14-2006 04:32 PM

Well, I have severe depressive illness. I have had it for 12 years. My shrink said it is unlikely I will ever get off the medication (I've been taking Celexa for 5 years now). You may be going through transient depression. Are you having trouble sleeping? How is your appetite? A diagnosis of depression usually requires that you have been feeling badly for at least 2 weeks, with other accompanying symptoms, such as insomnia, loss of appetite, and physical complaints like stomachaches, headaches, tiredness. Of course every case of depression is different, some people experience increase in appetite and oversleeping.
Some people (like me) experience rage when depressed. I was terribly abusive to those around me I had paranoid psychosis and was suicidal. Others just feel very blue and "blah" for a time. That sounds like you. But your symptoms might have a physical cause, you should have a full checkup including bloodwork.

Cloth4Colin 09-14-2006 04:40 PM

I tend to get complacent and tired-all-the-time too. One of my first symptoms is lack of motivation. Next usually comes the excessive worry.

kittywitty 09-14-2006 05:42 PM

That sounds like me, too. I was on zoloft two years ago, but went off of it with dd.

I just don't want to do anything. If it is a nice, cool, shady day, it helps to get out b/c I do best in that weather. Going to the pumpkin patch, being outside in fall and gardening. Yoga kinda helps for a little bit. Chocolate chip cookie dough (no eggs, hardly any cookies ). Knitting helps.

Speaking of shrinks, does insurance cover that? How do you go about getting one?

rgarlough 09-14-2006 06:17 PM

Quote:
Some people (like me) experience rage when depressed. I was terribly abusive to those around me
That's my dh when he was depressed. I didn't get to see him pre-depression, I met him medicated but still depressed. It took about 3 years of meds to get him to his usual self or so he says.

Every now and then I see a tinge of his 'dark' side coming through which does bother me... but it seems to go away as soon as I bring it up to dh.

Sometimes I feel terribly unmotivated but its usually just because I have TOO much to do and I can't see the light at the end of the tunnel. I make myself get off my fanny and DO ANYTHING even if its something small. Baby steps.

Electra375 09-14-2006 06:32 PM

After I had my ds2 I had the rage and anger PPD, which I thought I controlled better than the sad PPD where I was on the floor crying all the time.

I've made my appt for Monday. It's with the PA -- I'm not sure if it will amount to anything. I'm not sure I'll even go. I'm going to think about it some more and research some natural remedies.

I'm been thinking for quite a few years now that I would like a SADD lamp -- and if I look at the weather these past few weeks it's been gloomy, gloomy, gloomy. I also know the worst depression I've ever felt was in the winter after the birth of my ds1 -- and I'm having another winter baby (I was shooting for May... all we did was talk about getting pregnant this fall and whamo, we were pregnant immediately in June!).

I wonder if insurance covers those lamps regularly or if it is too much of pain just go buy one?

loving-my-babies 09-14-2006 07:44 PM

my insurance co. covers therapy. Look in your provider directory. Also, I found a therapist that doesn't charge me a copay (copays are $10-$20 but they add up if you go weekly)

mightymoo 09-14-2006 07:50 PM

My milder stage tends to be just me zoning, in front of the computer, in front of the TV, like I want to detach from reality. I do very little, its painful to get pulled back to the real world and I tend to get angry and frustrated when forced to (kinda necessary when caring for small kids)

When I'm more severely depressed I am crying a lot, I can't breathe right, I hyperventilate a lot and feel this overwhelming urge to crawl into a small space - like the pressure of walls or whatnot around me is soothing - sometimes I blanket wrapped tight works. I have a lot of invasive negative thoughts which usually start the crying jags though just about anything can if it reminds me of death or an insecurity.

It's interesting, becuase I've been through those 'I have no energy' stages when depressed, but right now I'm in the first trimester of pregnancy and I go through a "real" energy zap and I'm struck by how different they are - not that I could just pull myself out of the other, but it feels completely different yet has a similar result.

Irishmommy 09-14-2006 11:38 PM

Please post in Mental Health.