Is it possible to have had depression your entire life? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 09-14-2006, 03:45 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just read the other thread about depression. Didn't want to hyjack it so...
I have experienced most of those symptoms all my life, could it still be depression?
I kind of suspect that I have mild OCD, and I could possibly be Bi-polar.
But my mom and dad and some of my grandparents are the same way.
Do we have personalitys that mimic depression or is it some kind of genetic problem?
What do you think? Ever heard of someone ALWAYS displaying the symptoms of depression?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 10 Old 09-14-2006, 03:53 PM

Yes. Depression is caused by a chemical imbalance, usually, and you can definitely have an imbalance your whole life.

Amy ~ Web Designing Single Mom to 4: DD14, DS12, DS5, DS3
#3 of 10 Old 09-14-2006, 03:57 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm not sure the real answer to that but wanted to send some
Could you go see a professional and see what they think? Or have some blood drawn to see if its hormonal?

Desiree

#4 of 10 Old 09-14-2006, 04:17 PM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
yes. my exmil and all my exbil have shown it all their life. some were happier as kids but by the time they were 10 it showed up. i know for sure one of htem is worse off than the others and takes medication. another one used to be on meds and then his life improved dramatically in all ways and so i dont know if he is on meds. mil and at least 2 others should seek help but dont. instead they either get angry and lash out at people and get v. busy or they hibernate. they are able to function without medication and feel how they feel are right. all of them except one have messed up lives. the one who doesnt was the one who was on meds, things improved adn i dont know if he is still on meds or not. i know he hated taking them.

treehugger.gif Co-parent, joy.gifcold.gifbrand new homeschooling middle schoolerjoy.gif, and an attackcat.gif 
#5 of 10 Old 09-14-2006, 04:17 PM

Yes, I had had it my whole life, including childhood up until the point of diagnosis and treatment in my 20's.

ND

Mama to 3 daughters, expecting #4chicken3.gif

#6 of 10 Old 09-14-2006, 04:18 PM

I haven't had it my whole life, but I've certainly been depressed more often that not. I was depressed throughout my teens, through most of my early 20s (not when pregnant, though), through most of my late 20s and early 30s, and again since my last c-section. I'd say that out of the last 25 years, I've spent about 19 or 20 of them at least mildly depressed.

Lisa, lucky mama of Kelly (3/93) ribboncesarean.gif, Emma (5/03) ribboncesarean.gif, Evan (7/05) ribboncesarean.gif, & Jenna (6/09) ribboncesarean.gif
Loving my amazing dh, James & forever missing ribbonpb.gif Aaron Ambrose ribboncesarean.gif (11/07) ribbonpb.gif

#7 of 10 Old 09-14-2006, 04:26 PM

Yes, if it's a chemical imbalance it's totally possible... <I don't speak this from experience, I do have friends that have had chemical imbalances though>
#8 of 10 Old 09-14-2006, 04:30 PM

I just saw a therapist for the first time earlier this week and after talking to her she said that I have about every classic sign of depression out there. She said that considering I've been feeling this way for as long as I can remember I've probably always had it and it is a true chemical imbalance. She also said that with 3-6 months worth of an antidepressant that I can get my chemicals realigned and also learn to deal with the things in life that throw me a curveball a bit better so meds aren't necessarilly (and she said that she doesn't even like the idea) a life long thing. I'd get it checked out. Also, depression is probably genetic so if your family displays the same traits they may very well have it as well.
#9 of 10 Old 09-14-2006, 05:08 PM

Yes, you absolutely can.
#10 of 10 Old 09-14-2006, 05:29 PM

Please post in Mental Health.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page