Questions regarding bi-polar - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-17-2006, 05:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Please feel free to gently educate me on my post; I am not that familiar with this.

I have a friend that is bi-polar. We have been friends for 7 years. She is in her late 40s and her children are grown. She presently lives with her boyfriend of 2 years.
About 4 ears ago she had a problem where she just sort of shut down and was pulled from work for 3 months. Eventually it got under control.

She has now just been pulled from work because she said that she just can not deal with the day-to-day stuff. I went to her home Friday and her once clean home was a serious wreck. She dyed her hair a dark color (you must really know her to know that this just is not her. She has never dyed it before). And she was quite flat, not laughing at all (she always love to laugh).

So I was quite shocked to see all of this, but obviously I did not want to add to her distress so I kept my thoughts to myself.

She is having her meds changed and she hopes that will help her. Her boyfriend has never seen her at a low, so he is not really supportive right now.

What can I do to support her? What is it that she is feeling? Are their natural herbs that she can take with her meds?

Thanks for any help; I appreciate it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-18-2006, 01:45 AM

I'm glad your friend has you

When I'm down and out, there are a few things that feel good from other people.

First, I want people to acknowledge that I'm sick and ask me questions about how I'm doing. Ask me about my meds. Ask me how I slept last night. Ask me what I'm thinking about. Because it feels really weird to feel so cr*ppy, with no one talking about it.

Second, do just what you're already doing. Keep in touch. Offer to take her out or bring a good meal back to her house.

I'm sure other mamas will give you more suggestions.

As for natural remedies, in addition to my regular meds, I take four 1200 mg caplets of Omega-3. Again, other mamas will have better suggestions.

Best to you!
Old 09-18-2006, 01:53 AM

I was just diagnosed as bipolar not long ago. (I started a thread called "Depression, PMDD and bipolar?")

I am still adjusting to exactly what bipolar *is*- other than mood swings. Which parts of me come from the bipolar. There are a lot of things I didn't know were part of it.

Sometimes, I feel like I don't understand how the world works and that makes me feel nervous. A lot of times, I feel like I might be rejected for 'acting weird". That people might look down on me for running away, or being emotionally unstable. What I need most, most of the time, is just someone I can go to and not be judged. To just get hugs and know I'm loved no matter what. When this is not there, I feel I get worse - to the point of becoming detached with reality.
Old 09-26-2006, 08:33 PM

xo

User Tag List