are there any antidepessants that do not cause weight gain? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-22-2006, 06:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I know that I need to be on something to help with my moods and anger outburst.

I'm in week 6 of a 12 week course on anger management and I have been doing really well until today. Today is just sucking all around and I really think that I need to be on an antidepressant. I plan to make an appt to see a doctor and get a prescription but I'm scared of the side effects of gaining weight. I also need something safe for breastfeeding. What are my options. I'd like to be able to request something not just be handed a prescription and not know the TRUE side effects.

I need my Dh to come home or the baby to take a friggin nap!!!!!!!!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-22-2006, 06:16 PM

Wellbutrin usually supresses appetite - but I don't know if it's safe for bfing. I would encourage you to go to a psychiatrist for mental health medications - they are the experts. In most areas there is someone who is more adept with post-partum mothers, hopefully you can find him/her.
Also, I would go in with the expectation that you are going to talk about your feelings, but not neccesarily leave with a prescription. I don't think most doctors would be pleased with someone who comes in and states: I'm feeling depressed, I'd like some Wellbutrin, please. Just my personal experiences talking, there, though.

Homebirth Midwife biggrinbounce.gif

After 4 m/c, our stillheart.gif is here!

Old 09-22-2006, 08:12 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice. I'm just losing it today and feeling very out of control. Can't catch my breath and my heart is racing. I've got to get out of this house and get away BY MY SELF. Even if DH WAS home to take the kiddos - I've got no where to go.
Old 09-22-2006, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sun-shine01 View Post
Thanks for the advice. I'm just losing it today and feeling very out of control. Can't catch my breath and my heart is racing. I've got to get out of this house and get away BY MY SELF. Even if DH WAS home to take the kiddos - I've got no where to go.
As a stop-gap measure when I feel like this, I go to the bookstore, pick out a book, buy a hot beverage and read. This way I feel "alone", yet the din of the noise of the coffee makers and other people is comforting.
Old 09-22-2006, 08:23 PM

im on celexa and not gained any.
Old 09-23-2006, 01:07 PM

Effexor makes most people either stay at their weight or lose weight.
Old 09-23-2006, 02:12 PM

Old 09-23-2006, 11:00 PM

I'm on Lexapro but I'm not sure if it causes weight gain.... I haven't noticed anything major. Not that it would matter. I would rather be sane and fat then crazy and skinny!

Kim, proud CPS mom to Marnie and my 4 legged kids, Jess, Zander, Oliver, Stumpy and Eddie.
Old 09-23-2006, 11:39 PM

subbing cause I feel the need for some prescription assistance coming on again but if I gain weight like I did on Zoloft, the meds would be pointless... my self image is one of the biggest non-medical factors in my depression
Old 09-25-2006, 03:34 PM

Definitely check out the crazymeds.org website. I think Wellbutrin is being used "off-label" for weight loss. It's also not the AD a doc should prescribe if you are anorexic or bulimic. Also, if you are experiencing outbursts of anger, Wellbutrin may not be for you. It can cause agitation and irritability.

I recommend seeing your regular doctor and asking for a referral to a psychiatrist.
Old 09-25-2006, 03:43 PM

Well I have taken Paxil and I think that makes you gain alittle. I then took Zolof and liked it..but later switched again to generic prozac. It didn't work as well and I had a few mild side effects but no real weight issues. It was the cheapest and I was broke.

I really wish I could go on AD now because I feel I need it but my doc says and discourages it if I intend to get prego again which makes sense but then also while bf..so I am like 3 yrs out. ( I bf my dd for 21months) sigh..bummer. I've tried Saint Johns wort too didn't work for me.

SAHM to 2 girls Born 8/2004 and 10/2007. Happily married. California living. Also on Diaperswappers, TBW and Ravelry.
Old 09-25-2006, 03:53 PM

cat.gif
Old 09-25-2006, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lotusbeans View Post
:

I'm a serious believer that psych meds should come from psych docs.
Me too! I just wanted to jump in here and second that. It is very important that you are diagnosed and evaluated my a psychiatrist, then prescribed any meds by them as well. I had a doctor(not a psychiatrist-a regular MD) once, who, after barely seeing me for ten minutes, said I was depressed, and prescribed me zoloft. She told me that it was very safe and that the side effects would be minimal if any and that she even gives it to pregnant patients. She wipped out the script without doing any bloodwork or even sending me for an eval with a psychiatrist! I was shocked! Needless to say she isn't my doc anymore.

Bethany, crunchy Christian mom to Destiny (11) Deanna (9), and Ethan (2)

Old 09-25-2006, 04:33 PM

I think some doctors are prescribing Wellbutrin to patients who are breastfeeding. I've also read, however, that Wellbutrin is tough on the liver (of the person taking it. I don't know about a nursling)

I think a safe and sane mama is the best mama. When it comes to your mental health, you have to make you the priority. Good luck. I hope you find something that works for you.
Old 09-25-2006, 05:34 PM

I've been dx'd for over two decades, with many adendums/changes {i.e. ADHD then it was depression, then it was PTSD, then it was manic-depressive, then it was bi-polar disorder with aggrevating factors, etc} all by various shrinks. So I'm comfy with being prescribed by my doc and monitored by her lab...
Old 09-25-2006, 05:46 PM

Old 10-02-2006, 05:30 PM

I took Wellbutrin for about a year with good luck-my weight stayed the same the whole time I was on it, and if anyone is prone to gaining, its me.

FWIW, I've had better luck (and no side effects, bigger bonus) w/ taking 5HTP.

I take one cap at night and one in the am, both on empty stomach. And, my doc said it was ok to take even though I'm preg-less risk w/ it than actual meds.

HTH. Now if I could just find a way to treat ADD w/o worrying about drugs in my bmilk, I'd be happy....til then, I'll just be scattered.: (it's going to be a long year...)
Old 10-03-2006, 11:22 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
so 5htp...i had been on a thread where this was discussed and now i am keenly interested...
what can you tell me? are there variant forms, as with things like vitamin e in that you want d-alpha tocopherol, not dL-alpha tocopherol. how many mg's or whatever should someone take for this purpose? or what are you taking, i guess i should ask. any precautions that you know of....etc, etc, etc????
TIA!
kate
Old 10-04-2006, 04:49 PM

Well, not sure how much help I'll be...I started taking it after reading The Mood Cure-actually to see what I needed to feed my hubby!

I think the caps I take are 500 mg each-they're pretty little. It helps me sleep too-I have trouble w/ going to sleep fine and then waking up and being wide awake and obsessing for hours. (Like spending four hours on coming up with a different weave pattern for a bassinet instead of the standard over under weave.: ) I have ADD and haven't been on my adderall since a month or so before I got preggo (divine intervention, I think!) and can't wait to go back on it because I hate life off of it-I can't hardly function.

The doc said there is some question re: safety in nursing/preg moms because it just hasn't been studied, but he felt the risks were negligible compared to the other AD options-5HTP is a precursor to normal brain chemistry and so is unlikely to cause neuro issues w/ kidlet, as other AD's are prone to do. He is of the opinion that they haven't been studied sufficiently either.

I guess I look at it as the lesser of two evils. Wish I didn't need it but apparently I do.

I'm not much help I know, but if you get the book, I thought it was really helpful.
Old 10-04-2006, 09:05 PM

Laurel723: the book - is it all about alternative therapies for depression or what? i am going to look into it. fortunately when it comes to this, i am no longer nursing. but unfortunately, because that means my last little nursling is growing up!
Old 10-04-2006, 11:34 PM

my psych told me prozac doesnt make you gain weight but makes you lose it... i lost alot while i was on it...40 pounds.. which might not be healthy... i did well on it for awhile but it wore off after a while..
Old 10-05-2006, 03:11 PM

my doc said the same thing but i don't think they really know. our individual constitutions are far too variant, especially when you consider that our psychological make-up is inextricable from our total being. so the way prozac works in one person may be to make her (him) lose weight because he is finally not emotionally eating, but for another it could have the effect of making her so complacent that she is not motivated to be active or choose proper foods or who knows! the possible scenarios are endless. it's why it's a trial and error sort of deal. personally, prozac is not working for me. my weight went up exponentially and i feel "flat." sure, the upside is that i have no more mood swings, but my weight is a source of GREAT anxiety and grief and not feeling highs ALMOST makes the lows seem like a fair trade-off. that crescendo of creativity is too vital a component of my peronality. and i also can't stand feeling tired and spacy, or "zoned-out" all the time.
Old 10-05-2006, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchyconmomma View Post
Laurel723: the book - is it all about alternative therapies for depression or what? i am going to look into it. fortunately when it comes to this, i am no longer nursing. but unfortunately, because that means my last little nursling is growing up!
Basically its about fixing the amino acid deficiency that causes the neurotransmitters to be in short supply.

Finding root cause and fixing it. Because depression/anxiety/etc is not a prozac/pharma product deficiency, kwim?

I think there's more to it than just depression. It addresses 4 specific areas (I loaned out my book, forgive me, I'm going off what I recall from a couple months ago ) It's a pretty small book, really-but handy if you're prone to it (as I am...)

There is a website also but dont remember how handy it is...I think there's a little info on there...www.moodcure.com (I think that's it anyway...I don't know how else to put an address on there w/o actually showing it-I hope it isn't against the rules!)
Old 10-06-2006, 04:30 PM

thanks laurel! i am all for trying to "cure" this again. i had done that because of the fact that it isn't a "prozac deficiency" but got to the point of desperation after my husband went off the deep-end and became abusive AFTER telling me he was really a woman trapped in a man's body and he started taking hormones and quitting jobs and racking up MAJOR debts. kind of enough to set me over the edge.
but now i am more stable (although still dealing with the divorce and broken family and financial issues, so not out of the park with the triggers), so i have more leeway to try and fix this again.
Old 10-06-2006, 08:30 PM

Here are some ideas I hope help!: Nutrition is KEY to how your brain functions; include fatty acid rich foods like fish, sea greens(kelp or dulse). Also tryptophan rich foods like turkey, and bananas. Drink pure filtered wter, treated tap water may cause neurotransmitter imbalances. Here's a brainfood recipe:Mix lecithin granules,wheat germ, brewers yeast, and pumkin seeds; Take 2 tbsp daily. I would research St. Johns wort before I took a chem.Also check out 5-HTP. These are herbal alternatives,BUT, that does not mean they are inferior! In fact, they work well but DO NOT know if can take while bfing. Safer than the chem drugs, for sure!! You can use fatty acids to battle depression,Flax oil 2 tbsp or 3-6 caps daily and is SAFE for bf!!You also need a good B- complex for your nerves( your breastmilk will be yellow from the vitamins)it is GREAT for stress and nerve health! Ask your Dr about biofeedback or acupuncture.They are relaxation techniques which have success treating chronic depression. Last but not least, get some pure lavender oil, mix a few drops in a small spray bottle and spray your babies room before nap, and put a couple drops in bath water for a relaxed baby who will sleep better, which will make you feel better!! Before you go chem, if that's your decision, realize that depression can be brought on by hypoglycemia or sugar imbalance and negative emotions.
Old 10-06-2006, 11:13 PM

thanks mommaC, that was helpful!

User Tag List