WAS my 8 year old son IS Asperger's - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 09-25-2006, 12:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The counselor at school today suggested Asperger's. He doesnt know exactly, but he said that my son does show a few tendencies so he referred us to a great counselor who can try to diagnose this. My question is this, can Asperger's be linked to vaccines? Thanks

Mamma to my four wonderful, amazing and unique children~~Wife to my true soulmate who sees things the way I do, together we are truly a team!
#2 of 6 Old 09-26-2006, 11:52 AM

Many people will say Asperger's and Autism are caused by vacs. Many more people will say they are not. The issue is very much debated and no one really knows for certain what causes autism spectrum disorders. You might check out the Parenting the Child with Special Needs forum here.
#3 of 6 Old 09-26-2006, 10:34 PM

vaxes, environmental toxins, poluted air, lack of quality in our food supply -- no one really knows.

I passed the orginial post on to my sister who has a 10 yr old that behaves very similarly. But I didn't think he was Aspergers or Austic, it just does not fit completely within the spectrum test.

I just wanted her to see that her step son is not the only one and someone somewhere will eventually dx him properly.

Her step son must be physically restrained to avoid hurting others and destroying the house by throwing furniture etc. Then he flips out into a tic of some sort.

I wrote all about it in the thread Bipolar child.
#4 of 6 Old 09-27-2006, 10:42 AM - Thread Starter

thank you....yeah my son doesnt completely fit the aspergers criteria either. i hate labels, but i really want to know is it my bad parenting skills or is it something else going on chemically in his brain? I dont know...i try and try to be a good mom....but maybe im falling short. the crisis counselor that came over yesterday said i have excellent parenting skills...but if its not chemical, then i must be at fault. I know i blame my mom for my problems sometimes lol. but then again, what my mom put me through at times is worse then what goes on in this house. Thanks so much ill check out that thread.

Mamma to my four wonderful, amazing and unique children~~Wife to my true soulmate who sees things the way I do, together we are truly a team!
#5 of 6 Old 09-29-2006, 05:59 PM

Lol, go look at my response to your other thread-- I just now saw this one.

I am as certain as I can be that AS is genetic. I have many traits (as a child more than enough to be dxed) as does my DH. 2 of our 5 children have it (which follows the 20% model in the likelihood of siblings being autistic).

However, I also think there is a possibility that autistics react differently to vaccines and psychiatric meds-- something to keep in mind if you ever consider medicating him (I wouldn't do it). So in that sense vaccines might have exacerbated a pre-existing condition, but that is purely speculative.

My other AS child was not vaccinated, btw.
#6 of 6 Old 09-30-2006, 02:47 PM - Thread Starter

i would never medicate. i just want to know so i can understand...so i dont keep thinking his lack of social skills could be maybe he was abused by someone....i dont think he was, but if he wasnt i want to know why he shows these symptoms. He doesnt have alot of symptoms, so i dont even know if he is AS, but a few counselors have said the traits look similar. They also dont see the other side of Jared when he's excited about something he'll perk up and talk excitedly....but in front of strangers, he acts like hes deaf and starts signing words to them. (well, his version of sign language which is NOT normal sign language lol) People just dont see that this is just how he is.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page