question for bipolar mamas... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 10-04-2006, 10:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
i have been diagnosed with major depression with psychosis and severe ocd and suffering from delusions... but i keep thinking that maybe i am bi polar, my psych doesnt really listen to me or spend much time with me. but my mood changes are so severe one minute im in a rage the next im hyper and singing and the next i am crying... does bipolar cause rapid mood changes?? or a week of depression and then a week of manic?? not literally a week i realize that everyones different..but you probably get my drift... can you explain the symptoms to me??
#2 of 3 Old 10-07-2006, 10:41 AM

Like you said, everyone experiences bipolar disorder differently, but I'll share my experience and see if its helpful to you.

I was diagnosed w/ major depression about 15 years ago and took anti-depressants for 10 of those years. When I got pregnant with DS, everything went haywire. I was very depressed during my pregnancy and had wicked PPD. When my period returned at 9 months post-partum, I began to experience mood cycling that corresponded with AF and I was rediagnosed with BPD II.

Starting with ovulation, I became extremely irritable and angry. I would snap at DH for no reason. I b/c very aggressive towards other people while driving and out in public. For instance, someone in the grocery store would be going to slow or get in my way and I wanted to hit them. My thoughts would race around and I couldn't concentrate. I also would jump to conclusions in my mind and then be *sure* I was right. This would last 4-5 days. Then my period would start and I would slide into a depression. Crying, self-loathing, intense anxiety, feeling overwhelmed, inability to leave the house and, often, inability to get out of bed. I also had intense desires to hurt myself. The depression lasted until my AF left. Then I would get two weeks of relatively "normal" behavior until I started ovulating again. This went on for over three years until I found the right combination of meds. I still feel mild symptoms if I'm really stressed, but nothing like before.

HTH!
#3 of 3 Old 10-07-2006, 02:42 PM

Sounds like you could be "rapid cycling." I always refer bipolar people (esp bipolar II) to a colleague's website (he is an incredible guy - very honest and straightforward) for great information. www.psycheducation.org

There's also a link to a book he just put out. I recently finished it and it was great. You might be interested in purchasing it or requesting a copy from your local library. It has an interesting section on talking with your doctor when you suspect you're bipolar and the doctor has a different opinion. The website and book have mostly the same info, but the website is more detailed (with references and links) and the book is more concise and easy to follow. Anyway, check it out and see what you think. I hope it is helpful to you!

ps - just remembered - the website has mood tracking charts that might be very helpful to show your doctor how dramatic your mood swings are and to recognize patterns.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page