prozac - how do you know when enough is enough? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 10-11-2006, 11:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
so here's the deal - MAJOR stress in last two years (including DH going off his rocker AFTER informing me he is really a woman trapped in a man's body - 9 months ago) and moving and job change and then splitting with crazy DH and so on......
had some MAJOR moodiness and some less major, but still bad, depression so finally agreed to try conventional meds (at prompting of friends/fam). started in april (this year - 2006). i have decided i am no longer a fan. while it really helped me get through the worst of the stress, it also made me gain 40 pounds, feel EXHAUSTED all the time, and makes it really difficult to concentrate and workouts (hell, even climbing stairs) are hard b/c of extreme weakness.
i often skip a day or two of dosing (and i don't notice any change for the worse and possibly even a change for the better but can't be sure it's actually connected to missing doses) and i want to go off it, i think.

and since it has such a long half-life how long did you have to "step down?"

but how do you know when you are really past the hump that prompted needed the med and just feeling even BECAUSE of the med?
#2 of 8 Old 10-12-2006, 12:26 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
cat.gif
#3 of 8 Old 10-12-2006, 10:11 PM - Thread Starter

oh i have gotten LOTS of warnings about cold turkey and i won't be doing that! but i am anxious to talk to the the shrink next week about switching, tapering off or something else. i am really wanting to know if it is my chemistry feeling more stable or a drug making me feel stable all the while making me TIRED and FAT! (okay, okay....i am also responsible for the "fat" part, but at no time in my life did my weight increase darn near exponentially!)
#4 of 8 Old 10-14-2006, 01:00 PM

I just read this book that changed my life. I have a whole new view of meds, mental illness and more. This woman is from India and practices in Vancouver seeing over 2000 pregnant women a year. She details each popular med and summarizes tests done throughout the world. Check it out:

http://www.amazon.com/Pregnancy-Blue...141422?ie=UTF8

It is called pregnancy blues and I have found it wildly helpful.
#5 of 8 Old 10-15-2006, 08:47 PM - Thread Starter

but is it only about depression and pregnancy?
i haven't been PG in 2 years and my childbearing is over. i am onto the next phase of life.
still worth the read or only relevant to pregnancy and depression?
#6 of 8 Old 10-17-2006, 07:43 PM

I think the book is the only one I have read that talks about being a mama and breaks down the medicine. It just came out in paperback. It talks all about breastfeeding too. The other thing is that it isn't an Americna source with all the FDA crap in it.
#7 of 8 Old 10-17-2006, 09:01 PM - Thread Starter

well, i got discouraged about going au naturel just yet and went to the doc who said that since i responded well to the prozac, if i am choosing to stay with the pharm route, she thinks i should stay in the same class (SSRI) and just do the trial and error method to find one with side effects that i can live with. said i should just stick the names on a wall and throw a dart or choose one with a name that i like! so i chose citalopram (generic of celexa). then i double checked crazymeds.org when i got home. ..........

under "CONS" it only has one thing:

"The weight gain is bad for an SSRI." damn. i should have guessed i would have been that unlucky on this one!

but i'm going to remain optimistic because as she said, and as testaments have been given here, they work differently for each person. some lose weight on one while others gain on that same med. we'll see! keep your fingers crossed for me, PLEASE. this weight has got to goooooooo
#8 of 8 Old 10-18-2006, 12:09 AM

Fingers crossed.

And YAY you for taking care of yourself!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page