Wellbutrin Question - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 18 Old 02-03-2007, 04:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've taken very few meds so for in my life so all this is new to me.

I've recently started Wellbutrin XL 150 mg once a day. I got a call from my PCP yesterday it seems that my insurance will not cover it. His suggestion to me was to take the non XL 150 mg OR to take the XL 300 mg. I expressed some concern over going from a time released pill to non time released. I expressed even more concern over doubling my dose. His queston to me was how do you feel after being on the XL 150? I said the same maybe just a little more patient. I guess that answer made him come to the conclusion that I should try the higher dose because that is what he called in to the pharmacy. He also mentioned that this may not be his drug of choice for me because I seem to be dealing more with anxiety than depression.

Anyone have a take on this? Has anyone ever taken the XL 300? Is there a big defference between the time released and non?
#2 of 18 Old 02-03-2007, 10:21 PM

I can't answer the difference in dosage question or the time released question but I took just Wellbutrin last winter and it made me nasty as hell! I was taking 150mg along with Lexapro 40 mg. The Lexapro had a $40 copay and the Wellbutrin was only a $25 copay. So my doc and I decided to try just the Wellbutrin. I was miserable, as well as everyone around me. So I went back on the Lexapro and Wellbutrin combination. When I moved in May, I misplaced the Wellbutrin and the pharmacy would not give me another refill because I had just refilled it. So, it was a couple weeks before I located it and I has gone without it and had just been taking the Lexapro and was feeling fine, so I never did start the Wellbutrin again.

So I was taking 150 mg along with another med so I can't imagine that 300 mg would be too much. I suffer from depression along with anxiety and I really like my Lexapro. I have also taken Paxil in the past for the same thing and that worked really well for me.

Kim, proud CPS mom to Marnie and my 4 legged kids, Jess, Zander, Oliver, Stumpy and Eddie.
#3 of 18 Old 02-03-2007, 10:47 PM

I am still using the samples my dr. gave me, so I haven't had to fill the prescription, yet. I hope you get it figured out. I know I would be nervous about upping my dose, but if you don't feel like it's helping that much then maybe you'd feel better with higher dose. Good luck.
#4 of 18 Old 02-04-2007, 10:47 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by woo27ks View Post
I am still using the samples my dr. gave me, so I haven't had to fill the prescription, yet.
Hopefully you don't have any problem filling yours. It was a huge drag to have this happen after I finished the samples my pc gave me. I don't like taking meds as it is never mind changing them all around.

Thanks ladies. I think I'll try a few days of the 300 and see how I feel.
#5 of 18 Old 02-04-2007, 11:00 AM - Thread Starter

Is Lexapro safe to take while pregnant and nursing? I'll have to check kelly mom but thought I would ask someone whod taken it.
#6 of 18 Old 02-07-2007, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by camotyka View Post
Is Lexapro safe to take while pregnant and nursing? I'll have to check kelly mom but thought I would ask someone whod taken it.
I'm not sure as I did not take anything when I was pregnant.

Kim, proud CPS mom to Marnie and my 4 legged kids, Jess, Zander, Oliver, Stumpy and Eddie.
#7 of 18 Old 02-07-2007, 09:30 PM

Why would insurance cover 300 XL but not 150 XL? They only want to pay if they can pay double?

I asked my doc to switch me from 300 XL once daily to 150 SR twice daily. The difference was $150/month. (No insurance here.)

Jennifer
#8 of 18 Old 02-09-2007, 04:30 AM

It is available as a generic - the SR is at least. I take it 2x's a day with no probems.
#9 of 18 Old 02-09-2007, 04:37 AM

If you have ever had any kind of seizure in your life including febrile, then you are at high risk for a having a seizure when moving up like that on Wellbutrin.

My dh did.

Neurologist afterward gave some shocking statistics which at this late of night I can't remember. But basically he said don't take Wellbutrin if you've ever had a seizure.

My dh's seizure was partial complex...which means he (unknowingly) almost hurled himself down some stairs and into traffic!
#10 of 18 Old 02-09-2007, 04:38 AM

There's a long release, a slow release and a instant release. There isn't much difference between the XR and the SR, really, the clinical trials were pretty much trying to show that it was okay for epileptics, but they omitted all the people with seizures from the trial. It was getting around the newly available generic. But no one gives Wellbutrin to people with seizures - there are so many other options that it would be stupid, no matter the clinical trial. If you want to stay on it, give the SR a try.
I felt different just days after starting it. The wind underneath my depression-wings just died off. It was an anticlimatic change. It has an interesting pharmacology in the brain. Unlike other things that have an active form that is metabolized into an inactive form, Wellbutrin has an active form that becomes another form, then another, then another. Each has a different half-life in the body and a different activity. That can be good or bad - it ends up not having the highs and lows after several months. But stuff can build up after a long time.

Homebirth Midwife biggrinbounce.gif

After 4 m/c, our stillheart.gif is here!

#11 of 18 Old 02-09-2007, 04:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apricot View Post
But no one gives Wellbutrin to people with seizures - there are so many other options that it would be stupid, no matter the clinical trial.
Welcome to Texas.

This settles it. I have to move away from Houston.
#12 of 18 Old 02-09-2007, 04:52 AM

Crazy! Come to Washington. The #$*%&* doctor just gave me a medication to "prevent" migraine that has 10% of people quit taking it due to headaches and can cause migraines. That's much less dangerous than a seizure. I would consider it an upgrade. :crazy:

Homebirth Midwife biggrinbounce.gif

After 4 m/c, our stillheart.gif is here!

#13 of 18 Old 02-17-2007, 10:33 PM

I'm a pharm student and work for a big bad drug chain, and this is the situation with long-acting Wellbutrin formulations and generics as far as I know:

Wellbutrin (plain old bupropion, sometimes referred to as immediate-release) is effective but has to be taken four times daily so it is rarely prescribed these days except as a mid-day booster.
Wellbutrin SR (bupropion SR), the 12-hour release tab, has available generics at all doses and has for ages.
Wellbutrin XL 150 mg, the 24-h release tab, does not have a widely available generic yet, but my coworkers say it is coming soon and some of the insurance companies I bill have the impression that it is already out.
Wellbutrin XL 300 mg DOES have a widely available generic equivalent and that is most likely why your insurance would cover the higher dose but not the lower dose.

The cost of time-release tabs is largely the formulation of the time-release mechanism; there's relatively little difference in wholesale price betwen the brand 150 XL and the brand 300 XL, so it actually does make sense in a ham-headed insurance way.

Another dosing option, besides an SR tab morning/evening or an XL tab once daily, is to take an SR dose in the morning and no evening dose. Insurance will cover it since it's generic and it avoids the sleeplessness that some people get.

persimmon
pharmacotherapeutic windbag
#14 of 18 Old 02-19-2007, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaverdi View Post
If you have ever had any kind of seizure in your life including febrile, then you are at high risk for a having a seizure when moving up like that on Wellbutrin.

My dh did.

Neurologist afterward gave some shocking statistics which at this late of night I can't remember. But basically he said don't take Wellbutrin if you've ever had a seizure.

My dh's seizure was partial complex...which means he (unknowingly) almost hurled himself down some stairs and into traffic!
I had no known history of sx and had one on Wellbutrin. The docs then tried to convince me I had epilepsy. I had to fight that and pay over $3000 for the expense of having the sx. The Wellbutrin also left me unable to sleep so I had to take Ambien. I then got hooked on that. It was an awful 4 years. I had shown other side effects (excessive sweating, jitters, etc.) but just had them dismissed. I would be wary if you start to show any side effects.
#15 of 18 Old 02-19-2007, 05:46 PM

I have been on and off Wellbutrin for several years. Right now I am on the 150, but have taken the 300 mg when needed. My insurance didn't cover the XL, so my dr argued that I neede it because I would forget to take it 2 x per day ( the truth) and got it covered. I am on 150 bc I am pg. I too have a lot of anxiety, but even though Wellbutrin isn't for anxiety and is actually supposed to make it worse in some cases, this hasn't been a problem for me - I have way less anxiety.

GL! You can always try the 300 and see if you feel different, and if it doesn't make a difference you can ask that your dr talk to the isurance co and explain why you need the 150 xl. Or, just take the SR 2x per day.
#16 of 18 Old 02-21-2007, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaverdi View Post
Welcome to Texas.

This settles it. I have to move away from Houston.
I am curious now. Reading this blog makes it seems as if out West, they tend to prescribe less psych meds and more behavior therapy. Is this the experience out there?

http://www.intueri.org/2007/02/17/th...order-in-kids/
#17 of 18 Old 02-23-2007, 05:16 AM

That depends if you think TX is "West." West of the Mississippi yes. West? Southwest? Yeah, not really.
#18 of 18 Old 02-28-2007, 04:54 AM

They just released the XL on generic as well. I've taken it for one full month and noticed no change. I take 300 Xl.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page