Withdrawal side effects from Celexa? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 04-22-2007, 01:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
How long will they last?

I'm in the process of weaning off Celexa, prescribed for anxiety and depression. I've done 1 week of 20mg, 1 week at 10mg, and now 10 mg every other day. At the end of the 10mg week, I started getting intermittent dizziness. 4 days into every other day, I'm getting worse dizziness, especially on the days I don't take a dose. My anxiety physical symptoms are randomly occuring as well. I know this is normal, but I want to know how long it will go on! I'm nearing being unable to function normally.

I want to go off the Celexa in order to ttc. I have battled anxiety for a long time, so I'm not worried about being off of it. I'm just not loving the withdrawal. How long does it take to get out of my system?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-23-2007, 04:16 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Its not getting it out of your system that is the problem, its your system getting used to not having it.

Its different for everyone, but 6 weeks is fairly typical. Often the reduction schedules prescribed by doctors are just way too fast and uncomfortable.

Also, its the last part that is hardest (I mean, its fairly easy to go from 20mg to 10mg, but going from 10mg, or 5mg to zero is much harder. There's like a "critical dose" below which the body reacts much more strongly and uncomfortably and usually this dose is pretty low).

It might work better to taper more slowly, and to go to 5mg daily rather than 10mg every other day. Then try to go to 2.5 mg, but if withdrawal symptoms worsen, go back up slightly until they cease, stay at that dose a week or so, then try the decrease again. Some people also use a shorter-halflife benzo like valium or ativan to get through the withdrawal effects - but since you are wanting to TTC maybe you'd want to avoid that.

User Tag List