Depression - 7 year old - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 05-07-2007, 11:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Does anyone have any experience with depression and a young child?

My ds is very emotionally aware and articulate. He is pretty anxious and gets migraines because of anxiety.

Tonight he came upstairs and was crying - when we were talking he said he doesn't want to live here - in Kansas - he wants to be alone. He also was describing how he feels like he is in the clouds - sad all the time. Nothing makes him happy. He calmed down after he had a good cry. Having a good cry is not uncommon for him. He does this at night sometimes after a big day or after being at his dad's for a few days.

Our ped. prescribed Imipramine in August for migraines. He's experiencing break through headaches and had a CT scan on Friday - this turned out fine. We go back on Friday to discuss treatment. I need to bring up this behavior.

I'd love any thoughts - suggestions - anyone that is experiencing this, too.
Thanks,
Amanda
#2 of 9 Old 05-08-2007, 02:38 AM

I have no experience as a parent in a case like that, but I do have experience as a former sufferer of childhood depression. In my own case I think I would have been much better off if I had been left alone and allowed to work through my feelings in my own way. But of course your child could be different.
#3 of 9 Old 05-08-2007, 05:31 PM

Another former sufferer of childhood depression here... My mother took me to a children's therapist. I hated it, but being forced to confront my feelings and talk about them did eventually help. I would be wary of prescribing medications for depression or anxiety in a child except as a last resort. I would start by doing your best to keep communication open between you and your son, and considering having him see a therapist who specializes in children.

Best of luck.
#4 of 9 Old 05-14-2007, 10:10 PM

I actually came on here to get some advice on the same topic. My son is 6.5, and I can tell he's very depressed and it's really hitting me hard, as one who has suffered from depression since about 5yo myself. I don't know what to do for him, especially since I'm dealing w/ my own current depressive state lately. He's just really withdrawn, starting to act-out at times, just really melancholy and suffering from perpetual boredom. I like the advice of letting them work through it in their own way, but it's hard to just see him so sad and unlike himself, and feeling bad that I don't know what has caused this nor do I know what I can do to make it better. Anyways, I'd be really interested to hear other's experiences on this.....
#5 of 9 Old 05-14-2007, 11:27 PM

He sounds a bit like an introvert from your post. My older dd is an introvert. She needs some time alone (or with just me) to recharge and release the pent up emotions of having to deal with the world. She did also go through an episode of depression when she was 6 due to a very poor schooling fit. Validating her feelings and empathizing really helped. I find that just talking and giving her the time to let it out makes the world more manageable.

We did have her do a few sessions with a counselor earlier this year to work with developing techniques for managing anxiety as well.
#6 of 9 Old 05-15-2007, 02:50 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Moving to mental health

"Have faith in yourself and in the direction you have chosen." Ralph Marston

#7 of 9 Old 05-15-2007, 04:02 AM

I would evaluate his diet, if he's getting migraines this young. If they can't find a physical reason for his migraines, I'd check diet and get him adjusted at the chiropractor, too. Changing his diet might also help with the depression - sometimes adverse reactions to food can manifest as depressive states. I'd also be very very wary of any prescription drugs for someone this young, especially heavy-duty ones like Imipramine. A lot of those aren't actually approved for use in children, regardless of how they're prescribed. And if he doesn't already have a counselor, I'd find a really great one with experience working with kids who can give him words and ways to deal with his feelings.

*hug* to your son, it's hard to deal with that stuff as an adult, I can't imagine dealing with it as such a young kid.
#8 of 9 Old 05-15-2007, 12:38 PM

I agree with PP.
Sometimes food allergies show up in ways that we would never imagine such as depression, anxiety and migraines. Your son could have sensitivity to things like wheat or dairy. The mere fact that he is dealing with migraines, anxiety and depression makes me think that he may have intolerance to something in his diet.
Google "brain allergies" for info.
#9 of 9 Old 05-20-2007, 07:10 PM

I was just today reading a book which said that B vitamin deficiency can cause a number of things including: mood changes, irritability, depression, headaches, stress, anxiety attacks and more. I agree that you should look at nutrition.
Seeing first hand how anti depressants can change a person, I would try everything possible before putting anyone on meds.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page