Phone anxiety? - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 52 Old 06-21-2007, 03:21 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I totally have phone anxiety, but only about outgoing calls. Incoming calls I'm fine. I worked in a call center for two years and was fine answering the phone but if I ever had to call anyone back I would always try to get out of it.
I can't call to order pizza and was SO happy when Pizza Hut started having internet ordering.
I also have major anxiety being a passenger in a car, as well as airplane anxiety and have not been able to get myself on a plane since 2000.
#32 of 52 Old 06-22-2007, 08:17 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamsInDigital View Post
I totally have phone anxiety, but only about outgoing calls. Incoming calls I'm fine. I worked in a call center for two years and was fine answering the phone but if I ever had to call anyone back I would always try to get out of it.
I can't call to order pizza and was SO happy when Pizza Hut started having internet ordering.
I also have major anxiety being a passenger in a car, as well as airplane anxiety and have not been able to get myself on a plane since 2000.
I haven't been on a plane since I was 4 years old but I'd been anti-flying for years and dont' think I could have handled it at all after having kids.

I also started having major anxiety being a passenger in a car when ds1 was a few months old. It was when I first realized there was something "wrong" with me. I dreaded having to go anywhere further than the store down the street. I became a "backseat driver" and drove Dh crazy, and he's a pretty excellent driver.

I'm finally ok enough to get into a car with Dh driving without dreading it or thinking too much about it anymore...this only abated a year or so ago. But when I get into the passenger seat with anyone else driving, I do start to feel nervous, but nothing like the blinding fear that I used to feel.

I also don't like ordering delivery and when I make a phone call and it's an automated system I heave a sigh of relief...even though I'm not fond of the push one push five malarky.

I'm actually pretty amazed at how common this is. And today I figured out that my BIL who lives with me has this problem too..he'd been really good at hiding it...so well that even I, miss phone anxiety queen, hadn't recognized it! :
#33 of 52 Old 06-22-2007, 08:43 PM

Me too. I am glad I'm not the only one! :

I really don't mind answering the phone, but I really don't like making phone calls. I try to make DH do it, but sometimes it has to be me. I'm getting better about it, but it still paralyzes me sometimes. Several years ago I was a yoga instructor looking for work (before DS). I needed to call around to the local gyms to see if they needed anyone to teach. I had to have 2 glasses of wine and then force myself to make the calls. I did it, and got 2 jobs out of it.

We are moving in 3 weeks, and I need to make quite a few calls about address changes and whatnot. I'm not looking forward to it. Fortunately, there's quite a few I can change on the internet. Email is my friend!!!

My DH thinks I'm really strange since I'd rather drive all the way to a store to see if they have a product in stock than to call them and ask.
#34 of 52 Old 06-22-2007, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodUserNamesTaken View Post
Oh my gosh, me too, me too... !!!!

Except, I don't pick up even when it's family, most of the time. Usually, I let people leave a message. Then, I check, see who it is and what they want, and call back then. Or not... lol

I hate being on the phone, and I hate making phone calls.
This is me exactly!!! I don't EVER answer the phone and I even dread calling friends. Calling any kind of business (dr, government agency, etc) puts me into an absolute panic and I take all day to work up to it.

Dh doesn't understand at all and is very frustrated by it. He thinks I'm just lazy or something (putting off phone calls). He can't wrap his head around the anxiety that I feel and is not at all sympathetic.

I'm happy that I'm not the only one!

And I'm going to check out the rescue remedy too!

Kate, mom to 7 year old Djuna and 4 yr old Alden. Missing our good friend Hal the cat who died June 2, 2010

#35 of 52 Old 06-25-2007, 10:37 PM

Oh am so glad to find this, I have the worst phone anxiety. Sometimes I can make calls with little or no anxiety, but most of the time, I put them off as long as I can, or ask my dh to make the call, if he can. It's hard to even call friends, I usually just hope that the answering machine picks up. I have issues with anxiety in general, but with the phone, especially if it's a business, I just feel like I'm going to say something really stupid, or just come off as an idiot...

I never thought about rescue remedy, I think we have some around here somewhere, I will give it a try!

A + B = B nut.gif (10/05) & C joy.gif (03/09) 
#36 of 52 Old 06-28-2007, 01:26 PM

Wow, this is a really interesting thread! I too thought I was the only one who had this problem. I don't like answering the phone, but I can do it, it's really making outgoing calls that makes me lock up. DH laughs at me, because I'd rather drive accross town to talk to someone in person than call them on the phone.

Does anyone here carry a cell phone? I may be the last person on the planet that doesn't own one, just wondering.

Anyone here ever tried to analyze what makes them like this? I wonder if it's just a personality thing or if something made me this way. I've gone back over my childhood trying to pinpoint the event that made me afraid to call people, but I can't remember anything. I'm not a generally anxious person, but I am very introverted.

Keri, wife to Tony, mom to five DDs: M ('96), S('01), E('04), A('07) and J('10);
#37 of 52 Old 06-28-2007, 01:36 PM

no cell phone here.

we have one, but it stays in the car or with dh

as a teen, I was GLUED to the phone.

oh yeah

and....my job?
I'm director of sales and marketing
bwhahahahahahahahahhahah

I have to talk on the phone ALL friggin day

I should just buy stock in rescue remedy...I really should.

we're out now, and I'm freaking over all the calls I have to make to set up a conference

mom to three boys:  reading.gif(18 bigeyes.giffencing.gif(10&7)
#38 of 52 Old 06-28-2007, 01:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayjayjay View Post

Does anyone here carry a cell phone? I may be the last person on the planet that doesn't own one, just wondering.

Anyone here ever tried to analyze what makes them like this? I wonder if it's just a personality thing or if something made me this way. I've gone back over my childhood trying to pinpoint the event that made me afraid to call people, but I can't remember anything. I'm not a generally anxious person, but I am very introverted.
Well I myself am more of a reserved person and introverted and I'm happiest at home, unless it's a movie theater or dinner out with Dh or close friend - something that doesn't require much interaction with the outside world most of the time. I don't think I'm agoraphobic though.

I can't pinpoint an exact experience or anything involving a phone conversation, but it seemed to get pretty bad during my last pregnancy, especially dealing with one particularly mean debt collector. So...I'll blame the bill collectors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unreal View Post

no cell phone here.

we have one, but it stays in the car or with dh

as a teen, I was GLUED to the phone.

oh yeah

and....my job?
I'm director of sales and marketing
bwhahahahahahahahahhahah

I have to talk on the phone ALL friggin day *

I should just buy stock in rescue remedy...I really should.

we're out now, and I'm freaking over all the calls I have to make to set up a conference
Is that the real definition of irony?

you can do this...I did it this morning. Ok I only had one call to make this morning and you have several...you can do this Maybe you already did

I also was glued to the phone as a teenager, too...weird. Or rather, pretty universal

No cell phone here, and totally content with that.
#39 of 52 Old 06-28-2007, 05:26 PM

i'm here too..never thought of it as a 'problem'..but um , ya..i HATE making calls, i stutter, lose my train of thought..leave off making appts for months

anyway i'm here too *hi*

Helping women overcome postpartum depression and birth trauma. http://www.postmommyhood.com

#40 of 52 Old 06-29-2007, 10:44 AM

I have anxiety issues, and sometimes I wonder how they manifest (in ways I don't know).

Ever since I had the twins, though, I'm not much of a phone person. There's just always something going on at the house and phone chats are rarely convenient. For a while there, I don't think I was on the phone much at all.

Totally can empathize with what you're saying, though. Best remedy for phone anxiety is not to balk from it but use it. I was put in a couple situations where I HAD to use the phone and do some cold-calling (which I LOATHE), but after doing a couple it a few times, it wasn't so bad. Well. It was bad, still is, heh. Doesn't mean I like it, but I had the satisfaction of knowing I can accomplish it.

Wish you the best.
#41 of 52 Old 06-29-2007, 10:58 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by neveryoumindthere View Post
i'm here too..never thought of it as a 'problem'..but um , ya..i HATE making calls, i stutter, lose my train of thought..leave off making appts for months

anyway i'm here too *hi*

Yeah I'm kicking myself in the rear now for not making dental appt's for several months straight, b/c now both Dh and I are in some serious pain...and now we have dental appts for next week finally Pain was a huge motivator. I was actually in pain while calling around trying to find family dentistries and oral surgeons that accepted our ins.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groovy Mom View Post
I was put in a couple situations where I HAD to use the phone and do some cold-calling (which I LOATHE), but after doing a couple it a few times, it wasn't so bad. Well. It was bad, still is, heh. Doesn't mean I like it, but I had the satisfaction of knowing I can accomplish it.

Wish you the best.
Aside from the pain being a huge motivator, I often end up getting phone calls done by sort of just "don't think just do", pick up the phone and dial it before I've had a chance to get all worked up about it. It helps some.
#42 of 52 Old 07-02-2007, 12:35 PM

Wow!! I'm not alone!! I have big time social anxiety (self-diagnosed) and phone calls are awful for me! I feel literally sick if I have to make a phone call to anyone other than my dh, mom or grandma. My mom and dh make the majority of necessary ones for me. I also hate talking to people I don't know (and some I do) in person as well. I was just reading an article the other day I got in my email from Beliefnet and it was about social anxiety and it listed the phone on there as a trigger so knowing I wasn't crazy made me feel a bit better. GROUP HUG!!

Sky, mama to dd 10/00, dd 3/02, ds 7/04, dd 3/07, ds 7/10, stork-girl.gif11/12 & married 11 yrs

#43 of 52 Old 07-02-2007, 06:04 PM

I hate using the phone! I hate answering, I hate talking on it, and I hate making calls. Unfortunately I have to make a lot of calls because of my job.

Formerly known as "JessicaRenee".  hang.gif  Single mama to Jude (Sept '09)!  biggrinbounce.gif

#44 of 52 Old 07-08-2007, 11:02 AM
Banned

nope i have had this proble all my life, takes me a while before making any calls to people other then close friends and family. if i dont talk to the person on a regular basis its very hard for me to call them.
#45 of 52 Old 07-08-2007, 10:29 PM

i've always had anxiety over the phone! when i was a kid, i'd cry if my mother tried to get me to order a pizza. (of course, it didn't help that my mom was very pushy and didn't respect my anxiety at all). even now, if a call has to be made, and dh is around -- well, you can guess who orders the pizzas .

i also don't answer if i don't know the #. or, if i do, my heart goes a hundred miles per hour!

i don't really know how i deal with it. i think i mostly just avoid it. which means a lot of things go undone that should have been done last month ... :

eta: another problem that i have that's related is that if i haven't called a friend in a while -- especially if it was a "i'll call you next week" kind of thing -- it's really REALLY hard for me to call b/c i'm so embarrassed! i think i might have actually lost, or at least drifted away from several friends because of this.
#46 of 52 Old 07-08-2007, 11:13 PM

Oh my! I'm dealing with this too! In fact, I have to schedule some phone therapy for myself, but I just can't do it! I want to b/c I know it will help. But I'm so afraid. I can't pick up the phone. I can pick it up to call about something for DS, etc, but not for me. Also, whenever I call someone, I'm afraid they'll be mad b/c I called at a bad time or something. Now in my mind, I know that can't be, or shouldn't be so, with professionals. But even when I call my sister, I always say something like, "Are you sure you're not busy?" before I start saying what I wanted to say. Drives me nuts!!!

Oh, and I still don't have a prescription plan b/c I can't call about one! Frtunately, DS has stuff, and I'm physically healthy. Mentally though... Well let's just say my sanity could use some stimulants!
#47 of 52 Old 08-09-2007, 08:27 PM

me too! I have lost friends because I never call back. I love caller id!

NAK..

Mama of 10yo dd, 7 yo ds, and 22 month old ds. No VAX, Anti-Circ, Lactivist, EC, UCB x 2. 

#48 of 52 Old 08-21-2007, 08:04 PM

Wow!!! I thought I was the only one! I hate it and have also lost friends because of it! I always blame not calling people on my kids.

Amy - Blessed wife to Jesse (the best dad in the world), mother of 10 on earth plus 8 in heaven.   PROUD to be a Catholic! : winner.jpg familybed2.gifhomeschool.gif

#49 of 52 Old 08-24-2007, 12:02 AM

It is so nice to read this and know I am not a freak! Lol. I have struggled with phone and social anxiety my whole life. Sometimes if I have to make a call I get this sick feeling in my stomach. I have even had to resort to writing a "script" so I don't forget what I am going to say and/or writing down personal info (i.e. phone number, address etc) so that if I get flustered I don't blank and forget those things and then feel like an idiot.
#50 of 52 Old 08-24-2007, 12:04 AM

BTW my phone anxiety is so bad that my husband automatically knows that if he is home he does all ordering if we are getting delivery or take out. I pretty much refuse to do it. I know he thinks it is really weird but I just can't explain it...I just hate the phone. I never understood people who love to talk on the phone, I have always hated talking on the phone even to friends! Lol.
#51 of 52 Old 10-09-2007, 08:53 PM

I can not believe this!! I so thought I was the only one and that I was crazy. I can hardly answer the phone even when it is family. I have no idea why, but it is horrible!!
#52 of 52 Old 10-22-2007, 02:19 PM

Oh my gosh. My dh thinks i'm completely crazy. I HATE talking on the phone to anyone. Especially if i've never talked to them before. Ugh. I'm getting sick right now thiniking about all the phone calls i need to make. I feel like my brain stops working when i'm on the phone, i get so nervous. Usually i just make my husband call, but he always gives me a hard time (he loves talking on the phone) I have to prepare myself for a few days to call someone, and then i have to be in a room by myself quietly to do it. That makes it really hard when ya have two kids. Good to hear i'm not the only one.

E Veg*n Mom to ds 6 : dd 3

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page