Ativan/Lorazepam while ttc or pregnant? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 07-06-2007, 01:25 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 74 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Hi,
I am 31 and ttc my first child. I have had depression and anxiety since I was a child and have been on prozac since I was 15. My psychiatrist has strongly recommended that I stay on the prozac while ttc and pregnant since she feels I am at a very high risk for depression if I go off of it. I have made peace with this decision as every time I've tried to go off of the prozac I have become severely depressed. What I am wondering about is ativan/lorazepam for helping me occasionally with my anxiety and sleeping. I usually don't take it very often but I have been feeling very stressed out lately because of work issues, and problems that I am having with my father. I have been trying to cleanse out my system as much as possible by reducing my caffeine intake, not drinking alcohol, eating healthily and avoiding toxic substances in makeup etc. I am also being treated by an acupuncturist/herbalist once a week. I practice yoga and meditation. But I am still feeling fairly stressed, and I don't know whether I should take the ativan once in a while. I am so afraid that the problems with my father and other stresses are going to affect my ovulation and that I won't be able to get pregnant soon. my cycle was completely thrown off for several months last year after a terrible fall out with a good friend. Any advice? Any natural remedies for anxiety that others have found effective?

Aimee

Aimee, mom to Mirah b. 08/09/08
and my angel, Nico, , lost to us at 19 weeks gestation, 12/27/12
Longing for our rainbow
#2 of 3 Old 07-06-2007, 04:42 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I know the Ativan is fine while nursing, but I do not know about pregnancy. I would ask your OB or your psychiatrist to find out for you.

I'm on 25 mg of zoloft and neither my OB nor my psych nor my child's ped. had any issue with it whatsoever. I'm six months pregnant and JUST weaned my 19 month old. I do have a script for Ativan, but I've not used it ever, and it was prescribed for me only while nursing, not during pregnancy.

Mom to two beautiful boys, now in school to be a therapist and help other women with PPD.  

#3 of 3 Old 07-06-2007, 08:19 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
For anxiety with sleeping issues you could maybe try Valerian root...although I'd double check that it was safe during pregnancy. Valerian is known as the natural valium. You might also see if bach's rescue remedy works for you, it's available in drops and a cream. It's homeopathic, so no problem to use it during pregnancy and it works really well for many people with anxiety issues. Lastly, magnolia bark has been shown in foreign studies to be as affective as valium in relieving anxiety, without the sedative affects. I haven't been able to find out at what dosage though.

I know my midwife would tell me to take benadryl when I was pregnant and unable to sleep.

I wouldn't hesitate to continue your meds while you're ttc as long as you're testing early and often.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page