Are these depressive symptoms or laziness ? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 07-17-2007, 06:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hey Mamas,

I was diagnosed with OCD and had a major depressive episode (a first timer) in October of 2006. Since then I have tried Zoloft, left me flat. I switched to Celexa 30 mg. At first I felt a positive change, now I feel like I have leveled off and I'm kind of stuck at a place where I feel partially depressed...(I think).

I keep trying to tell myself I'm not still depressed because it's been 9 months and I'm not having crying spells or suicidal thoughts BUT are these symptoms:

1) When I get home from work I just want to lay on the couch..it feels so hard to get motivated to get up

2) I am still waking up feeling a little melencholy, able to get out of bed..but don't feel refreshed as I did before the depression hit

3) Finding it hard to do household chores. . . don't begin to feel a little upbeat until DH gets home - - even then I'm still a little irritable.

4) Feel tired still...like I just want to take naps all the time.

5) I feel about 80% recovered, have happy moments..but still always 'thinking'

I'm going to try increasing my Celexa. But, I'm just wondering if this is because I'm lazy or if these are symptoms of lingering depression still ?
#2 of 14 Old 07-17-2007, 07:49 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
It sounds like it's either lingering depression or the meds are making you lack energy. You might need some nor epinephrine action to help you out. Sometimes SSRIs aren't quite enough. You could try welbutrin, or something like effexor which tackles both seritonin and norepinephrine.
#3 of 14 Old 07-23-2007, 02:35 AM

Faith--your thread title is something I think to myself every morning as my 5 yr-old drags me out of bed! Not often that I can laugh on this board, but laughter is healthy, right?
#4 of 14 Old 07-23-2007, 09:16 AM

Someone just suggested this book in another thread The Mood Cure by Julia Ross.
#5 of 14 Old 07-24-2007, 11:47 AM - Thread Starter

Katie - - yes, it's way healthy...now if we could just get a jetsons house..to prop us out of bed..throw us in the shower, make breakfast...we'd be set !
#6 of 14 Old 07-24-2007, 03:54 PM

sounds like mild depression to me.
#7 of 14 Old 07-25-2007, 12:16 AM

Just out of curiosity how is your sleep? My husband had sleep apnea and had a lot of the symptoms you have. He feels much better now that he is on a CPAP machine at night, which makes sure he stays oxiginated while sleeping. They do sound like depression also though. A lot of people with apnea are diagnosed as depressed because the symptoms are the same.
#8 of 14 Old 07-25-2007, 11:47 AM - Thread Starter

hello there

belle - - i have a really hard time falling asleep, restlesness, anxiety, but once i am asleep i do fine through the night.

went to a new psych, even at the first appointment i like a lot. we did evaluation. his first instinct is that my major depression that hit in October has been partially treated..which is unfortunately common. that the goal of treatment is to get me 100% better (back to feeling how i used to)...that relapse is 3x more likely if the initial depression is not treated to remission.

placed me on lexapro now. 10mg, which is equivelent to 40mg on celexa. i was previously on 30mg of celexa - - but was not able to tolerate anymore increase. it's been 2 days, so we'll see.

it seems that there are lucky ones that the initial ssri works, about 30%...in my case it will take trial and error. for moms feeling the same symptoms, i will be posting my results/changes/and symptom increase or reduction.

i do attend therapy.....BUT I KNOW I NEED TO EXCERCISE. it's so hard when you are lacking energy and motivation to even do housework.
#9 of 14 Old 07-27-2007, 11:55 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
The sleeping trouble is also a symptom of depression.

So glad you are seeing a new doc and hope the new meds give you a boost.

Mom to two beautiful boys, now in school to be a therapist and help other women with PPD.  

#10 of 14 Old 07-28-2007, 12:36 AM

Feeling tired and unmotivated is a sign of depression, but it is also a sign of adrenal fatigue/thyroid difficulties. I thought I was depressed for years and just recently discovered the fatigue has a physical cause, and with treatment for that cause, oddly enough, I don't feel depressed anymore. Maybe you could check out the adrenal fatigue in Health and Healing and see if any of that applies to you (e.g. feeling tired alot, prone to holding onto colds longer than most people, more excess fat around the belly than any other part of the body, etc).

Hopefullly the Lexapro will work. If not, I think a PP mentioned Effexor, and its been my experience that Effexor is the most activating. It can be very hard to wean off of, though.
#11 of 14 Old 07-29-2007, 01:50 AM

I'm glad that y'all are here.

Lexapro has been working for me, I think. Some days are much better than others. When I get up and actually unload the dishwasher, get myself and both boys dressed, make breakfast . .. and I think, "so this is what normal people do, like, everyday.: whoa. "
#12 of 14 Old 07-30-2007, 11:44 AM - Thread Starter

hey moms,

doc switched me over to lexapro one week ago. very irritable for about 2 days there...so far, so good. little more energy , except about two hours after taking the lex. so, think i'm going to switch to taking at night. no severe side effects so far...oh, except in the bed room. kind of feel like a robot in that sense HOPEFULLY that wears off.

Regarding the thyroid issue. I am curious as to why my pdoc didn't offer this testing - - they are so easy to pass on the anti-d's aren't they ? So, i'll be making an appointment to get that checked out.

i'll touch back soon.
#13 of 14 Old 07-30-2007, 12:04 PM

I could've written this post! I have no energy or desire to do any kind of housework. I've been really lazy lately and it started around the same time I began feeling depressed.

Nicole, mom of 3. Mitochondrial Disease.: Epilepsy
#14 of 14 Old 08-02-2007, 02:48 PM - Thread Starter

:rofl:

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page