Anxiety Anyone? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 18 Old 10-25-2007, 01:03 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi I am NEW to mothering..... My name is sarah, Hello! I was just wondering if anyone experienced troubles with Anxiety and panic attacks?? I have trouble with being home alone, public restrooms, going up or down a flight of stairs by myself...things like that. Just wondering if anyone had the same issues? Curious!
#2 of 18 Old 10-25-2007, 01:10 AM

I also have anxiety issues, I've had panic attacks off and on for 15yrs so i can totally sympathize with you, I have some of the same issues, being by myself, public restrooms,etc. I saw an herbalist and he put me on a diet and herbs and so far its doing well. I hope you can find some relief too, i know it can be difficult
#3 of 18 Old 10-29-2007, 07:37 PM

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Hi - I too have horrendous anxiety - mostly about money and health issues. Over the past year my mom has had 3 separate cancer scares, only one detected precancerous cells that were completely removed, and yet I find myself daily convincing myself that I too have those same diseases. This morning I made the mistake of watching Dr Oz on Oprah and he was discussing skin cancer - I immediately had to check out all of my moles and freckles and found one that is bigger than the others. It is smaller than a pencil eraser, practically a perfect circle, it's been there for awhile, but yet I still find myself staring at it trying to see if there are different colors within it or if the borders are not perfectly clear. I am driving myself crazy with anxiety and worry.
#4 of 18 Old 10-29-2007, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCMoulton View Post
Hi - I too have horrendous anxiety - mostly about money and health issues. Over the past year my mom has had 3 separate cancer scares, only one detected precancerous cells that were completely removed, and yet I find myself daily convincing myself that I too have those same diseases. This morning I made the mistake of watching Dr Oz on Oprah and he was discussing skin cancer - I immediately had to check out all of my moles and freckles and found one that is bigger than the others. It is smaller than a pencil eraser, practically a perfect circle, it's been there for awhile, but yet I still find myself staring at it trying to see if there are different colors within it or if the borders are not perfectly clear. I am driving myself crazy with anxiety and worry.
I totally understand wish i had some good advice to give you
#5 of 18 Old 10-30-2007, 12:00 AM

I suffer from anxiety, agoraphobia to be exact. My first memory of a panic attack was when I was about 6 or 7. I just remember being "nervous" in certain situations. It became more severe as I got older, but it got 1000x worse when I got pregnant last year. I had severe morning sickness that lasted nearly the entire pregnancy, and my anxiety got so severe that it was difficult for me to leave my house, sometimes even my bed! It was miserable. I lost my job over it, and missed out on so much, including enjoying my first (and maybe only) pregnancy. I manage my anxiety with therapy and natural supplements. I have had huge breakthroughs in the last 6 months and I have been better than I have in over 10 years! (And I'm only 23...)

This is very difficult for me to talk about and I can't even begin to describe my disorder here, but I just wanted to let you know that you are not alone. PM or email me if you want to talk.

Amanda: Christian, wife to musician DH since 2002, mom to intact & vax free "monkey" DS1 since 12/21/06, and "lovey" DS2 5/17/10! WINNER OF THE GOLDEN BIRTH STOOL, APRIL 2010 DDC!
#6 of 18 Old 10-30-2007, 04:45 AM

I have anxiety...conversion disorder with seizure actually. When I start having an anxiety attack, my brain shuts down and I have a seizure (they call them psychogenic nonepileptic seizures). I take GABA for it and see a counselor once a week.

I discovered GABA a couple weeks ago and it has made a HUGE difference. I wish I found it sooner.

"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication" --Leonardo Da Vinci
 blogging.jpg  780/2014 decluttered

#7 of 18 Old 10-30-2007, 07:39 PM

Me too.

I've had anxiety and depression (mostly anxiety) for most of my life, starting at around age 10. I function pretty well; I have a paid job, take care of my daughter, go to church, have lots of friends, all that stuff, BUT I have a huge job managing my disorder. I finally got a clinical diagnosis of generalized anxiety disorder. I have started Celexa and am almost up to 20 mg a day. Side-effects have been rough but I am happy to be receiving treatment at last. Funnily enough, the drugs have lifted the anxiety enough that I am able to start pursuing what I always wanted, which is things like accupuncture, massage, dietary modifications and exercise. All that good stuff. So I'm hopeful these things will eventually replace medication. It's no fun. Drugs certainly haven't been the miracle I had hoped for, but I think I see a difference. Welcome to MDC!
#8 of 18 Old 10-31-2007, 01:13 AM

I have anxiety at the thought of me leaving my house by myself to do errands or even drop DH off at work and come straight home. I have intense social anxiety and my brain/body just shuts down when I'm in a social situation with others besides DH and DF. Hell- I have anxiety at the thought of me dancing alone in the house or singing in the shower. : I'm working on that last one.... I wiggled my butt and did a Fresh Prince of Bel-air "Carlton dance" the other night. :

GREAT MOM to dd (5) and )ds( [sept 26 2006]
#9 of 18 Old 11-03-2007, 09:15 AM

I had an intense panic attack when 1 was 12. I felt like I couldn't breathe at all
(even though I was actually breathing, it wasn't asthma.)

I was carried off to the sick bay, by which time I had recovered.

3 years later I had another intense experience which made it clear what the panic attack was.

It was just an old memory resurfacing...
#10 of 18 Old 11-04-2007, 10:01 PM

I've dealt with this since I was 10. My problems were/are hormonal...something I've known for a very long time however it was never "officially" diagnosed. In 1999 my ex-husband convinced me to go on medication.....medication that never really helped me. In times of great stress my symptoms come out full-swing. My cycles made everything come out as well.

Now I'm still on meds but also on stuff from my naturopath and am finally slowly weaning off the stuff that I was put on 7 years ago. Having my son also made a difference....I was amazed how my hormones have mostly settled down.

http://algy.com/anxiety/ib/index.php...in&fromemail=1
I'm a member of this forum, I really recommend it. I also highly recommend any books by Edmund Bourne or Claire Weekes.....mostly natural therapies are recommended from these authors.

fambedsingle2.gifnovaxnocirc.gifHappy to be a mommy and teacher to D fencing.gif, born 1-17-06 via waterbirth.jpg  and A  blahblah.gif, born 10-6-08 with a homebirth.jpghomeschool.gif

#11 of 18 Old 11-12-2007, 05:54 PM

Today is a bad anxiety day for me - yesterday I was convinced that one armpit felt larger than the other, repeatedly checked for lumps but nothing. Today I have a red tender armpit from too much poking and checking - of course that makes me again think that something is wrong even though I have thoroughly checked for lumps and bumps. I was so worked up that I asked for a sign, something to calm me and let me know that everything was okay - not 5 seconds later I walked out of my house and a ladybug landed on my shoulder - very strange to see in November in Chicago! I took that as my sign to calm down stop stressing for the day.
#12 of 18 Old 11-13-2007, 05:05 AM

Quote:
Today is a bad anxiety day for me - yesterday I was convinced that one armpit felt larger than the other, repeatedly checked for lumps but nothing. Today I have a red tender armpit from too much poking and checking - of course that makes me again think that something is wrong even though I have thoroughly checked for lumps and bumps. I was so worked up that I asked for a sign, something to calm me and let me know that everything was okay - not 5 seconds later I walked out of my house and a ladybug landed on my shoulder - very strange to see in November in Chicago! I took that as my sign to calm down stop stressing for the day.

I had a rough day today too. I actually left my house and went to an aquaintances- it felt like a panic attack the whole time. I'm home now and more anxious than I was at the thought of leaving. Anxious because I feel that I've been completely judged (even though I know I haven't been to the extent I'm thinking). I cannot calm myself and it's going to make for a very bad night sleeping experience for me.

#13 of 18 Old 11-13-2007, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambrose View Post
I had a rough day today too. I actually left my house and went to an aquaintances- it felt like a panic attack the whole time. I'm home now and more anxious than I was at the thought of leaving. Anxious because I feel that I've been completely judged (even though I know I haven't been to the extent I'm thinking). I cannot calm myself and it's going to make for a very bad night sleeping experience for me.

How do y'all feel this morning? I hope ya feel better Its so hard sometimes
#14 of 18 Old 11-13-2007, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefragile7393 View Post

http://algy.com/anxiety/ib/index.php...in&fromemail=1
I'm a member of this forum, I really recommend it.
Thank You for recommending that website its great

If y'all haven't went there yet, GO, it has helped me so much
#15 of 18 Old 11-13-2007, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambrose View Post
I had a rough night too. I hope you are feeling better this morning. I too get anxious at the thought of being judged even when it is obvoiusly not the case.
#16 of 18 Old 11-13-2007, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joy2bmom View Post

Thanks for the thoughts - we will have to see what the day brings. I wokke up sore this morning - which should be expected considering I thoroughly examined my poor armpit about a thousand times but sometimes it is hard to rationalize with myself. I have also found that since my DH changed jobs in June giving him strange work weeks I have been worse, probably beause we sometimes go for 10 days without him having a day off. I need to be with an adult sometimes to distract me from my worries - it's easier to let yourself get caught up in the worry when the only conversation in the house is with a 3 or 5 year old. I have also found that my aches very often replicate what I see on the news or on a television show so I try to avoid things that I know will set me off. My worries really revolve around 3 diseases - breast, skin, and colon cancer all 3 of which my mom had scares with inn the past year. Sometimes I am amazed how much power my mind can have over me - part of me kmow that I am doing this to myself but the small irrational part always wins the battle.
#17 of 18 Old 11-13-2007, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Better- I didn't sleep well last night at all. Even with a sleep aid. But today has been okay so far. I even had the ability to hang some fabric as a make-shift curtain until I can actually find the time to sew it to look like a curtain. I used some black thread and rigged it so I can open it up during the day without too much hassle. It felt nice because it calms me a little about the neighbor seeing me the one time I have to dart pass the window without a towel because I left it in the bedroom after a shower.... and then judging me thinking I'm like some 'weird nudist freak' or something. :eyeroll:

Quote:
Thank You for recommending that website its great

If y'all haven't went there yet, GO, it has helped me so much
I'll definitely take a look at it later tonight!

Quote:
I had a rough night too. I hope you are feeling better this morning. I too get anxious at the thought of being judged even when it is obviously not the case.

#18 of 18 Old 11-28-2007, 07:10 PM

Does anyone ever experience panic attacks when driving on highways? I used to be fine and drive all over the place. Two years ago....i was driving in the middle of the night over a mountain on a highway and an extremed wave of panic came over me. I hyperventilated and started sweating...i felt my heart was going to my groin.Ever since then i can't drive on highways and feel tremendous anxiety. I am 47 and my periods have been very irregular. Could this all be hormonal?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page