Anxiety, Anger, and Depression - What is Your Experience? - Mothering Forums

View Poll Results: Anger, Anxiety, and Depression - What is Your Experience?
Depression w/o Anxiety or Anger 3 3.41%
Depression w/ Anger, but no Anxiety 15 17.05%
Depression w/ Anxiety, but no Anger 18 20.45%
Depression w/ both Anxiety and Anger 52 59.09%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 11-12-2007, 07:01 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm just curious. . .

Depression and Anxiety seem to have a very high correlation (i.e. lots of people say "I have anxiety and depression . . ."

Some people (myself included) say that their depression expresses itself through rage or angry outbursts.

Some say all 3.

The poll question is simply, what is your experience?

For additonal comments, what do you think about it? What's the connection? etc.
#2 of 10 Old 11-13-2007, 10:48 AM

For a long time I was just depressed (no anxiety or anger, as far as I could tell). Then one day, when I was going through some big changes in my life (mostly moved "back home", studying dance and therefore dancing LOTS), I couldn't concentrate. Literally I can tell you the day that started.

When I sought help, the pros told me anxiety is a PART of depression. It took me a long time to understand what they meant, and eventually agree with them.

I think there was anxiety early on, but less detectable, just underlying. Then it came out full force and I developed almost phobic fears and serious concentration issues. The anxiety really seemed to take the place of the sadness.

I have had an occasional angry outburst or two, definitely related, but uncommon.

Its still pretty mysterious to me though.
#3 of 10 Old 11-13-2007, 07:28 PM

I have struggled with anxiety for most of my life--starting, I would say, around age 11 at the latest. Who knows if this came from circumstance--alcoholism, sexual abuse, poverty, etc. Some of it came from my incredibly anxious mother, who is now also on medication.

Anyway, the confusing thing for me was always that, when I wasn't anxious or panicky, I often didn't feel depressed. I liked my life, for the most part. Often my anxiety came from what was going on in the rest of the world. It still does. I so often feel like my own life is rich and good, so why can't everyone have the relative comfort, security and happiness I do.

However...I have had clinical bouts of depression that have lasted weeks or months, during some of which I have literally not been able to get out of bed. What I notice most, though, is that depression seeps in after a long bout of extra-bad anxiety; longer than a few days or so. Then I'm just so tired. And the big surprise was that, after starting Celexa several weeks ago, the first thing to lift was a depression I'd insisted I wasn't feeling. I just felt lighter. It was wonderful, I must say. And now I seem to have more will to do some of the things I always knew would help with the anxiety, like eating better and doing yoga.

As for anger? That's still the wild-card for me. It's never featured prominently in the equation that I've been aware of, but it must be in there somewhere. I know when my dd was around 2 I felt angry A LOT and I was not a good parent to her. I'm still trying to figure out where that came from, because it only lasted a few months. I think most of that was around suddenly needing parenting skills I didn't have. That's when I found MDC. But I also realized I needed to stop going down the road I was on and I really was able to pull out of that bad space.
#4 of 10 Old 11-15-2007, 01:29 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies!

It's intersting to me that it's a fairly even spread (so far).

Maybe people are just more willing to talk about anxiety than anger -- especially women?

Goodness knows it took me a while to talk specifically about my anger with my therapist. Who wants to admit they yell at their kids? It's never been hard to admit that I'm unreasonable with my husband, but I don't want anyone thinking I'm abusive toward my children (not that I am, but IMO women - myself included - can get really freaked out about how people will react).

With anxiety, one could say it started out as a healthy worry/fear, but then it got bad, unhealthy . . .

With anger, I feel like people will judge me a bad person for losing my temper and not being rational. "I'm not using 'gentle discipline' therefore I MUST be a bad mother" rather than "I'm seriously stressed and depressed and this is the best I can do at this moment in time."

Life is interesting . . .
#5 of 10 Old 11-19-2007, 06:23 PM

I've suffered from anxiety issues since I was a young girl. The depression reared itself in my early 20s.

As for anger, I think, unfortunately, I only reveal it to those who/m I am closest. I showed it to my parents and unfortunatley, most of this anger is now directed at my DH. I think it is because it with those people I felt safe. Hmmm...I'm definitely not a psychologist but I do think the anger and its nasty outbursts is a frustration with myself and my inability to control my wild mind.

Hugs to all who suffer from these demons. It is not fun for us or for those who we love and are loved by. (sorry for bad sentence construction)
#6 of 10 Old 11-23-2007, 10:18 AM

For me, I was brought up not to make a sound, not to show feelings except gratitude and meekness...for starters. When I stuff my anger, I get anxious and depressed.
#7 of 10 Old 11-26-2007, 07:08 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraBoo View Post
For me, I was brought up not to make a sound, not to show feelings except gratitude and meekness...for starters. When I stuff my anger, I get anxious and depressed.

That would make me angry and depressed as well.
#8 of 10 Old 12-02-2007, 05:54 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
For me anger/rage has definitely been a part of my anxiety and depression problems. I couldn't get enough of a hold of my anger/rage until I got on prozac. I had tried for years through lots of self-care and self-control measures, incl. various anger management techniques, etc. But for me, the anger/rage only got under control when I started meds. Head shaking for me.

wash.gif  Me  + bikenew.gif Dh =  broc1.gif  Dd1(9 yrs) + hearts.gif  Dd2(6 yrs) and blowkiss.gif Ds(3.5 yrs)
#9 of 10 Old 12-20-2007, 03:40 PM - Thread Starter

It's been a while since I looked at this poll.

Wow! The "all of the aboves" have it!

--LEE
#10 of 10 Old 12-21-2007, 10:52 AM

It seems to me that when anxiety rears its head im not angry, but when Im not anxious I am angry?

Weird.
Im seeking help ( I called someone just the other day) for my anxiety and my anger. This is so hard. I just dont believe in the overabundance of medication and depression.. it seems like everyone I know is on something!! It freaks me out that I have to seek out help and that medication might help? Im so anti meds.....

I have a 6 year old who may be ADD and I refuse to look at medicating him right now bc I want to try making diet changes and environment changes and put him on supplements, etc... how can I medicate myself??

But is it fair to my children not to if it will work?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page