Another Borderline Personality Disorder Question - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 01-14-2008, 04:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I know the proper people to ask would be professionals, but I'm wondering if anyone knows if Borderline Personality Disorder is something which is easily misdiagnosed based upon just a checklist of classic symptoms? (In other words, are there other simiar disorders?) My husband went undiagnosed and untreated, and naturally I've been reading up on what might have been going on, but it's not a field where I know enough to know if something that seems like a bullseye could just as easily be something else.

I read the following (bolded what was relevant):

Quote:
While a person with depression or bipolar disorder typically endures the same mood for weeks, a person with BPD may experience intense bouts of anger, depression, and anxiety that may last only hours, or at most a day. These may be associated with episodes of impulsive aggression, self-injury, and drug or alcohol abuse. Distortions in cognition and sense of self can lead to frequent changes in long-term goals, career plans, jobs, friendships, gender identity, and values. Sometimes people with BPD view themselves as fundamentally bad, or unworthy. They may feel unfairly misunderstood or mistreated, bored, empty, and have little idea who they are. Such symptoms are most acute when people with BPD feel isolated and lacking in social support, and may result in frantic efforts to avoid being alone.

People with BPD often have highly unstable patterns of social relationships. While they can develop intense but stormy attachments, their attitudes towards family, friends, and loved ones may suddenly shift from idealization (great admiration and love) to devaluation (intense anger and dislike). Thus, they may form an immediate attachment and idealize the other person, but when a slight separation or conflict occurs, they switch unexpectedly to the other extreme and angrily accuse the other person of not caring for them at all. Even with family members, individuals with BPD are highly sensitive to rejection, reacting with anger and distress to such mild separations as a vacation, a business trip, or a sudden change in plans. These fears of abandonment seem to be related to difficulties feeling emotionally connected to important persons when they are physically absent, leaving the individual with BPD feeling lost and perhaps worthless. Suicide threats and attempts may occur along with anger at perceived abandonment and disappointments.

People with BPD exhibit other impulsive behaviors, such as excessive spending, binge eating and risky sex. BPD often occurs together with other psychiatric problems, particularly bipolar disorder, depression, anxiety disorders, substance abuse, and other personality disorders.
I will ask a professional when I have the chance, but for now do the bolded passages seem like I'm on the right track? Or are those issues pretty generic to any number of diagnosis. The only thing I would have to add that's not included above is a tendency toward psychogenic nonepileptic seizures as a means of coping with anger in addition to self-injurous aggression.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2008, 05:22 PM

I do know that cyclothymia/bipolar II can be misdiagnosed as borderline personality disorder:

"Many patients within the Bipolar II spectrum...may meet criteria for personality disorders. This is particularly true for cyclothymic bipolar II patients, who are often misclassified as borderline personality disorder because of their extreme mood instability and reactivity." taken from here.

This may also be of interest:
What's the difference between bipolar disorder and "Borderline Personality Disorder"?

From what I've read there's a lot of grey area when diagnosing cyclothymia/bipolar II/bpd. My DH has the milder cyclothymia, but many in his life (including me for a time), thought he may have a version of BPD.

Best of luck!
Old 01-14-2008, 06:23 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you ... very interesting reading (leading to more googling and probably more confusion, but that's to be expected). It does say that abandonment fears are not typical of bipolar disorders? Although I suppose one could have a bipolar disorder combined with something else marked by abandonment fears.

I thought the speed of extreme mood shifts might be key in borderlines, but then of course I started finding bipolar ultra-rapid cycling, ultra-ultra rapid cycling, & ultradian cycling ... argh. It's all so complicated and, I think even for the most knowledgable, subjective.

The mind seems a dangerous place to be sometimes.
Old 01-15-2008, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquesce View Post
The mind seems a dangerous place to be sometimes.
Agreed!

You know, I truly think a person could go to 10 different therapists/psychiatrists/psychologists and get 10 different diagnoses. Seriously. And there are so many conditions that exist simultaneously/are co-morbid. It's overwhelming, isn't it?

Best of luck in your research!

~S.
Old 01-15-2008, 01:20 PM

It's pretty common for women with Asperger's Syndrome to be diagnosed with BPD. I was never diagnosed with it but I know a number of women with Asperger's who were.

But to answer your question, BPD is vague enough that it could be applied to anyone with dysfunctional behavior, so yes, it can easily be misdiagnosed.
Old 01-15-2008, 01:47 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by meowee View Post
It's pretty common for women with Asperger's Syndrome to be diagnosed with BPD. I was never diagnosed with it but I know a number of women with Asperger's who were.

But to answer your question, BPD is vague enough that it could be applied to anyone with dysfunctional behavior, so yes, it can easily be misdiagnosed.
Asperger's is heavily defined by difficulties with social interaction/awkwardness though, no? In this case, at least, that wouldn't apply. Thanks for the input though.
Old 01-15-2008, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquesce View Post
Asperger's is heavily defined by difficulties with social interaction/awkwardness though, no? In this case, at least, that wouldn't apply. Thanks for the input though.
Yes it is but people with AS are prone to angry outbursts/ meltdowns, and sometimes self-injurious behavior from self stimulation (like how classic autistics headbang for self stimulation). And the social difficulties can translate into "unstable relationships" which is a hallmark of BPD.
Old 01-15-2008, 02:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by meowee View Post
Yes it is but people with AS are prone to angry outbursts/ meltdowns, and sometimes self-injurious behavior from self stimulation (like how classic autistics headbang for self stimulation). And the social difficulties can translate into "unstable relationships" which is a hallmark of BPD.
But isn't it more a general state, not something selective? The thing with my husband was that socially he was probably the most adept person I've ever known, and within that maintained several very close, stable, and long-term friendships. With him his outburts were centered on the people he loved the most -- myself and his mother predominently -- and therefore the people he feared rejection from the most.
Old 01-15-2008, 08:02 PM

The things you have bolded could also indicate a depressive disorder. Men sometimes exhibit depression differently than women. Evaluation and treatment from a mental health professional would be best. Many mental health problems have overlapping symptoms.

: 3/10
Old 01-16-2008, 01:52 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inquiringmind View Post
Evaluation and treatment from a mental health professional would be best.
I'm sorry, I should have been more clear ... it's a posthumous inquiry, mostly just for my own peace of mind, so in the end at best it can't be more than an educated guess based on "on paper" unprofessional observations.
Old 01-26-2008, 08:29 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I just wanted to say I'm sorry.

Kathy, mother of 3, wife of 1. My new recipe blog: www.kathysrecipebox.wordpress.com (no longer searchable by allergen, but at least it doesn't have a virus!)
Old 02-02-2008, 02:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Achelois72 View Post
You know, I truly think a person could go to 10 different therapists/psychiatrists/psychologists and get 10 different diagnoses.

~S.
This is so true and so very scary!!

Kim, proud CPS mom to Marnie and my 4 legged kids, Jess, Zander, Oliver, Stumpy and Eddie.
Old 02-05-2008, 02:30 PM

I know my stepD was diagnosed BPD for three years until a therapist finally said, No, it was bipolar, not BPD.
Old 02-05-2008, 03:05 PM

Google psycheducation You should come up with a Jim Phelps (?) website, and it discusses the 'bipolar spectrum' . the "patient" and "friends and family" information are very well written out. (at least for us)

~Autumn~   Mama to whistling.gif (2001) and hearts.gif(2005) partners.gif madly in love since '99 
Old 02-05-2008, 06:56 PM

tHERE ARE A LOT OF BOOKS AND WEBSITES SPECIFICLY FOR FRIENDS AND FAMILY OF PEOPLE WITH BPD... I'M AT WORK, SO i DON'T HAVE THE LISTS. i HAVE BPD, BUT I HAVE HAD A MILLION DIAGNOSIS, AND i THINK i MIGHT BE BIPOLAR. i THINK THAT SELF INJURY, ATTEMPTS AT SUICIDE, AND BLACK AND WHITE THINKING ARE MAIN SYMPTOMS OF BPD... IT SEEMS TO BE A CATCH ALL TO ME THOUGH.

LeeAnn )O( Earth mama treehugger.gif and mother to DD Leela (9), DSD Ari (9), DD Zen (7), DS Gabrael Riot (4!)
Self preservation is a full time occupation! namaste.gif

User Tag List