Anyone with kids on Lexapro? (bipolar) - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 02-15-2008, 08:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I need to know everything. My boy is 5 years old and just started on it yesterday.

So if you have any experience, please share either here or pm.

Please do not write about how horrible of a mother I am or how I should try x-y-z instead, I've already done that.

Sorry I'm kind of in a fog about it all
#2 of 4 Old 02-17-2008, 02:08 AM

First of all, I have never heard tell of giving Lexapro for bi-polar. Secondly, I would look for a second opinion. I work in the children's mental health field and every other kid lately is getting stuck with a bi-polar diagnosis but if you look at the diagnosic info, it states that people should not be diagnosed with this until they are adults.

With that said, I take Lexapro myself and have worked with teens who have taken it for depression and I have never heard of any negative side effects.

What makes the psychiatrist think it is bi-polar?

Kim, proud CPS mom to Marnie and my 4 legged kids, Jess, Zander, Oliver, Stumpy and Eddie.
#3 of 4 Old 02-17-2008, 01:17 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadianchick View Post
First of all, I have never heard tell of giving Lexapro for bi-polar. Secondly, I would look for a second opinion. I work in the children's mental health field and every other kid lately is getting stuck with a bi-polar diagnosis but if you look at the diagnosic info, it states that people should not be diagnosed with this until they are adults.

With that said, I take Lexapro myself and have worked with teens who have taken it for depression and I have never heard of any negative side effects.

What makes the psychiatrist think it is bi-polar?
It was the fourth opinion. I wasn't ready to accept it from one person, so I saw 4.
They all said the same thing.

My mother is bipolar, her father was, my sister is too, and I suffer from depression.

I do know a few children on Lexapro who are bipolar, they take this and a mood stabilizer, i also know 3 adults on Lexapro for bipolar, one of them being my sis she's on Seroplex, which is the French version of Lexapro.

what makes them think he's bipolar? he fits 100% of the symptoms and more. 3 of the psy also mentioned they usually don't like to diagnose children as bipolar, not until they are in their teens, but because he just "fits" so well and many other things were ruled out that was the conclusion.

I also don't know if I'm accepting this, but it is true that from everything I've heard and read he does seem to fit awfully well

So far he's on day 4 and I don't see any changes, but I know it takes a while for the stuff to work (or not work I guess...)

This is seriously making my brain boil. I don't know what to do, i hate drugging my boy, but life at home and school and everywhere is impossible with him, his mood switches so easily and fast for no good reason, he gets really violent/aggressive, or overly clingy, or sad and crying, or happy as a tornado all in one day. The main part is the violence and defiant behavior that just doesn't work. He has no friends at school, I dread week ends and days off because life with him honestly is hell, constantly walking on eggshells trying to not "set him off" even though I know it doesn't make a difference. Can't go out, can't go anywhere when invited with him, can barely survive at home without losing it, having to constantly protect myself and the house from him.

I really felt I couldn't do it anymore, and the school required testing since he was so "off", throwing chairs across the classroom, hitting teacher, not doing well with change, driving everybody nuts around him.

I want to help him, i want him to have a nice normal life (as normal as possible anyway), I want him to be functional. As he is it is/will be impossible.
#4 of 4 Old 02-23-2008, 04:01 PM

I don't have any advice. Sorry. Peace.

There are three things I learned about life. It goes on. -Longfellow

stillheart.gifRIP DH DJ Delicious but mucho gracias for our children and all I have learnedstillheart.gif

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page