Supplements for mental health - SAMe, St. John's Wort, etc. + low libido question - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 02-21-2008, 01:21 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I am new to the world of vitamins/minerals/supplements/herbs - I am hoping to draw from the collective wisdom of MDC mamas who have BTDT.

I recently went off of Paxil, which I had been taking for anger, anxiety and moodiness. The Paxil worked very,very well, but I gained 15 lbs on it, and it made me feel sluggish and tired. The process of going off of it was fine, I was on a super low dose. I am also finishing my last pack of BCP and once I am done with that, I will take only thyroid replacement medication (I have Hashimoto's disease).

I have introduced a multivitamin (Women's One by Rainbow Light) and a B-Complex supp. with Vitamin C (Whole Foods brand Stress B-Complex). I have been off the Paxil and on the supplements for about a week, and I feel pretty good.

To stay out ahead of the anger/moodiness, I would like to add either St. John's Wort or SAMe (or both - is this advisable?). I also noticed that Whole Foods sells lots of supplements to address sexual health and low libido. I have had libido issues for years and years and would like to try addressing it naturally.

I don't want to overdo it, or accidentally take too much of something or two things that will interact badly. I've done a bit of research and purchased Prescription for Nutritional Healing, and from what I can tell, there shouldn't be an issue with adding the stuff I mentioned above, but wanted to get some feedback from people who know more about this than I do. I don't have any friends IRL who have tried to get into balance naturally, so I turned to you guy.

Oh, and I will be making an appointment with a naturopath soon - just waiting on a recommendation.

Thanks, mamas .

Leeann, mama to 3*magic*kids: DD 1/03 DD 9/04 DS 8/06
#2 of 3 Old 02-21-2008, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3*is*magic View Post
I am new to the world of vitamins/minerals/supplements/herbs - I am hoping to draw from the collective wisdom of MDC mamas who have BTDT.

I recently went off of Paxil, which I had been taking for anger, anxiety and moodiness. The Paxil worked very,very well, but I gained 15 lbs on it, and it made me feel sluggish and tired. The process of going off of it was fine, I was on a super low dose. I am also finishing my last pack of BCP and once I am done with that, I will take only thyroid replacement medication (I have Hashimoto's disease).

I have introduced a multivitamin (Women's One by Rainbow Light) and a B-Complex supp. with Vitamin C (Whole Foods brand Stress B-Complex). I have been off the Paxil and on the supplements for about a week, and I feel pretty good.

To stay out ahead of the anger/moodiness, I would like to add either St. John's Wort or SAMe (or both - is this advisable?). I also noticed that Whole Foods sells lots of supplements to address sexual health and low libido. I have had libido issues for years and years and would like to try addressing it naturally.

I don't want to overdo it, or accidentally take too much of something or two things that will interact badly. I've done a bit of research and purchased Prescription for Nutritional Healing, and from what I can tell, there shouldn't be an issue with adding the stuff I mentioned above, but wanted to get some feedback from people who know more about this than I do. I don't have any friends IRL who have tried to get into balance naturally, so I turned to you guy.

Oh, and I will be making an appointment with a naturopath soon - just waiting on a recommendation.

Thanks, mamas .
I don't have any specific advice for you, but have you read The Mood Cure? The author addresses all of what you just asked, very specifically, throughout the book. It's very detailed, and discusses the supplements and their uses explicitly. I'm actually making a trip to the HFS today to pick up my own supplements (5-HTP instead of SJW or SAM-e, which she recommends as a first option; GABA; tyrosine; glutamine; cal-mag; B complex and a few more). However, she devotes a lot of time to discussing the thyroid link to all her supplement suggestions, and I specifically recall her mentioning Hashimoto's too.

If you've haven't seen it, look for it. My library had it via interlibrary loan. If you've already read it, sorry for running on Congrats on making the break from Paxil. I hope you can find what you need in the supplements!

Melissa, a homeschooling, caffix.gif-guzzling, SAHM of two: reading.gif (11) and joy.gif(8)
#3 of 3 Old 02-21-2008, 07:17 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, Melissa, I am going to buy the Mood Cure tonight (I needed to add a few more bucks to my amazon order for the free shipping, so it works out!).

I went to Whole Foods today and got some St. John's Wort, but upon further investigation it may interact with the Pill (which I am almost done with) and my thyroid meds, which I cannot go off of. So I am going to hold off on taking it.

The B-Complex I am on has really made a huge difference for me in terms of mood already - this week is school vacation week and 2 of the 3 kids are sick, and yet I have managed to keep my cool and I don't feel as though I need a nap. For me this is HUGE.

I am taping a big note to the phone to call and set up an appt. with the naturopath tomorrow.

Leeann, mama to 3*magic*kids: DD 1/03 DD 9/04 DS 8/06

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page