Help me sort this out please (need hugs too!) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 02-27-2008, 11:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I began weaning off of Zoloft (was on 75 mg and have been for almost a year now) 2 weeks ago because I either needed to up my dose or do something totally different. I hated the sexual side effects and apathy that occured. (I called them the I don't give a sh** pills!) I am reading the mood cure and intend to follow through with the supplementation suggested in the book once off of Zoloft. Here is the thing- I was doing great weaning off until last week when DH's grandfather fell ill and died. We were away from home doing all of the funeral/burial stuff all week and yesterday (first day home) I just absolutely lost it. I got an upper respiratory infection, and feel like crap. I cannot rest because my almost 2 yo dd won't let me, my husband is grieving and completely oblivious to my needs and my daughter's behavior is (seemingly) atrocious, all I am doing is eating- because 2 yo dd is not sleeping and neither am I(nursing all night). What I really needed tonight was for DH to offer to put her to bed- did he? NO. : I had to get really b*tchy and yell at him in front of DD for him to realize that I am really not doing well.
I feel almost rageful- like throwing a temper tantrum.
My therapist can't see me until Friday, and DH just informed me that he cannot take off work so I can go. (He really could take a lunch hour then, but wont, because it is the last day of the month-sales.) I have asked 3 other friends to babysit, and they can't.
I know this is turning into a complete rant- but I've no place else to vent. I know that I could do fine off of Zoloft if I could only do the things I need to take care of me. (Sleep, excercise, alone time.) But nothing is balanced right now and I am feeling so resentful of DH.
I want to take care of myself-not just pop another Zoloft again so I can ignore my true needs. Help.
So do I still need the meds or is this circumstantial junk? Help.

Heidi , wife to my DH , mama to Hope Isobel (4/3/06), Molly Grace (7/31/09): , furbaby Callie :
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-29-2008, 07:00 PM - Thread Starter

Seriously? No one has any thoughts for me?

Heidi , wife to my DH , mama to Hope Isobel (4/3/06), Molly Grace (7/31/09): , furbaby Callie :
Old 02-29-2008, 07:20 PM

I wonder if these feelings you're having are because of getting off of the meds. You feel like you can't handle them because you've not had them for so long.

Can you take an afternoon nap? Are you drinking caffeine? Smoking? Those can make you feel irritable.

As far as the rage goes, I think you'll have to reason with yourself on that. Your husband has a valid reason for not wanting to leave work. It sucks, but he knows what he has to do for his job. It's inconvenient, but you can usually take your children to dr's visits.
I hope you're able to find a good solution.

Lisa

Our children make a study of us in a way no one else ever will.  If we don't act according to our values, they will know.~Starhawk Rainbow.gif  New  User Agreement! http://www.mothering.com/community/wiki/user-agreement

Old 02-29-2008, 10:55 PM

Kim, proud CPS mom to Marnie and my 4 legged kids, Jess, Zander, Oliver, Stumpy and Eddie.
Old 03-03-2008, 12:22 AM

hugs for you, mama!
It sounds like you are coming off the meds at a pretty stressful time!!

" The first time her laughter unfurled its wings in the wind, we knew that the world would never be the same." Greta 2/07 and Tallulah 12/09
Old 03-03-2008, 03:14 AM

Mamaheids, I would tend to think that the difficulties you are experiencing weaning from the Zoloft are circumstantial. I'm so sorry you are feeling this way right now.

A few thoughts on the things you indicated you need:

Sleep: Do you stay home with your 2 y.o. DD? If so, try napping with her. Also, you could go to bed when she does a night or two a week.

Exercise: Can you take walks with DD in a stroller/jogger. Getting outside usually makes a huge difference. Depending upon the type of exercise you wish to do, I know some moms can do yoga, free weights or videos with children home.

Alone time: This is the most difficult for me and always has been. My DH is very support of me getting this time, but it's really hard since I have a nursling (now 21 months). Anyway, I've always started small such as doing errands by myself. This could be after DH gets home from work or after your DD goes to bed. On the weekends when your DH is around, if you want alone time at home get him take DD to a park, etc. Also, if you can rely on DH being home for bedtime routine perhaps you could share it those duties. On the nights he does the routine, you could have time to do what ever you wish (NOT laundry, dishes). If you are really lucky, you could get him to do the entire routine until DD is ready to nurse or however you fit nursing into that.

I'm not sure if any of this helps. I know your struggles. I do apologize if the things I mentioned all seemed so obvious. At one point, I had to figure so much of this out with my older child. It's still SO hard.

Take care.
Old 03-03-2008, 03:38 AM

When it rains it pours! But you have to weather the storm to enjoy the rainbow!

My biggest piece of advice is just give it time, focus on one thing at a time and know its going to get better.

Its going to take your body some time to reorganize, so do your best and keep positive.

User Tag List