Controlling Manic Feelings? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 03-01-2008, 09:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The past few days I've had some telltale manic signs: racing thoughts, panicky feeling under my skin (literally like my blood is boiling or coursing through my veins too quickly) and short-tempered.

DH and I are keeping an eye on it; hopefully it's just a brief hormonal imbalance that will just as quickly go away. If not, I'm calling a new psych referral office Tuesday at the latest.

I haven't seen a psych in years as my medicine had always kept me in line (GP filled Rx). Even through a divorce, multiple moves, death in the family, job changes, etc. - top stressors in life - my cocktail worked for me. Now I'm facing a super-new chapter in my life and recently left a very unhappy job that had me commuting 3 hours a day. DH and I never saw eachother because we were both always on the road. Not for newlyweds.

My question tonight is this: how do you control or manage the manic feelings without changing your meds?

Thanks everyone!!!!!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-01-2008, 10:25 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
you could try rescue remedy and see if that helped, maybe some calm's forte. GABA might help, it's essentially what the benzos work on, and I know ativan is used broadly in acute mania and psychotic episodes.

I'll say here that I am not bipolar, so I don't know anything from experience. Could you call your regular doc and see if you could get the sublingual form of zyprexa (anti-psychotic/mood stabilizer), it's particularly fast acting.

I also don't know what you're on. Honestly without knowing, I'd say either ativan sublingually or the sublingual zyprexa are your best bets. For a natural fix focus on calming things like rescue remedy, calm's forte and GABA, those could all be taken together, but I'd shy away from the GABA if you're already on a benzo.
Old 03-01-2008, 11:18 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, AnyMama. I'm on Tegretol (mood stablizer) and two anti-depressents (Wellbutrin and Effexor). I remember trying Ativan eons ago and it did not agree with me - made the extra anxiety I was feeling at the time even more so.

Since BP diagnosis in 1993, for mood stabilizers I've tried Lithium, Depakote finally Tegretol. Currently on XL 100mg/1 day. Anti-depressents started with Paxil, then Effexor (currently XR 150mg/1 day). In the late 90s Wellbrutrin was added (currently XR 100mg/1 day) to further control the depression. Tried Lexapro a few years ago but it upped the anxiety and mania so that was rather short-lived!

Don't have any Rescue Remedy; have always seen it in the health food store though. Perhaps we'll pick some up after church.
Old 03-02-2008, 02:35 PM - Thread Starter

I upped my Tegretol to 400mg today (actually the Rx was 200mg, not 100mg daily). We'll see how today goes. Still planning on calling the new pysch office tomorrow or Tuesday at the latest.
Old 03-02-2008, 02:44 PM

I don't have any sound advice to give you, but I know from experience that seeing someone is better than living out days feeling like that. I lived through months of hell with those symptoms trying vainly to make it better myself before finally seeing someone. It's worth it. You may need to tweak your meds a bit, or find something different, but you should consult with someone first.

As a side note, when I start having those issues, humor seems to help slightly. My husband has dubbed it "the itch" and has a certain way of ignoring/dealing with it that normally makes me feel a little more human and less like a bomb about to explode into a trillion pieces.

Hope you're feeling more like yourself soon!
Old 03-03-2008, 11:44 PM

when i start feeling manic i really watch my sleep. it's what keeps me in check. i also won't allow myself to do the things that i want to do when i'm manic....clean like a freak, bounce off the walls, and drink. i try to remain as calm as i can...self talk. if that doesn't work i call the doc. maybe you need to be on an anti-psychotic...do you take one?

There are three things I learned about life. It goes on. -Longfellow

stillheart.gifRIP DH DJ Delicious but mucho gracias for our children and all I have learnedstillheart.gif

Old 03-04-2008, 04:47 PM

Call your GP and see if you can get a dose of konopin to take before bedtime. The klonopin is good because it's very long acting and stays in your system for 24 hours+ so you don't have to take it often. It's a benzo, but also a seizure medication and is used to treat acute mania. It works really well on the panicky jump out of skin feeling.
Old 03-05-2008, 02:33 AM

Based on your current meds and history of med reactions, it sounds like you have paradoxical reactions (effexor and welbutrin DON'T increase anxiety/mania, and ativan DOES) to some meds.

Any chance you could be mis-diagnosed and have ADHD, not bipolar?

What happens when you have a cup of strong coffee?

Anyway, it sounds like you should stay away from the benzo's (klonopin is a benzo).

Increasing the Tegretol might do the trick. It might also help to slightly decrease the effexor or welbutrin (effexor first probably as it is more stimulating) unless they are acting paradoxically in which case increasing them would work better, depending on your answer about the coffee.

Long walks might help, and doing yoga might as well.
Old 03-19-2008, 04:38 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BellinghamCrunchie View Post
Based on your current meds and history of med reactions, it sounds like you have paradoxical reactions (effexor and welbutrin DON'T increase anxiety/mania, and ativan DOES) to some meds.

Any chance you could be mis-diagnosed and have ADHD, not bipolar?

What happens when you have a cup of strong coffee?

Anyway, it sounds like you should stay away from the benzo's (klonopin is a benzo).

Increasing the Tegretol might do the trick. It might also help to slightly decrease the effexor or welbutrin (effexor first probably as it is more stimulating) unless they are acting paradoxically in which case increasing them would work better, depending on your answer about the coffee.

Long walks might help, and doing yoga might as well.
Turns out it was hormones and I'm pregnant! DH and I kept a close eye on my feelings, I tracked down my old pysch and got a referral to one in my new town. Seeing new pysch next Thursday.

Thanks for the support mamas!
Old 03-20-2008, 12:07 AM

Congratulations!!! That is so exciting What wonderful news!
Old 03-20-2008, 12:27 AM

That is awesome news, congratulations!
Old 03-20-2008, 01:42 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks!!!

User Tag List