prozac and sleepiness - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 03-18-2008, 10:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I recently started prozac (well a generic) . I was warned it may cause sleepiness but this is ridiculous. i am out cold about 15 minutes after taking it, can hardly be waken up and have trouble getting up in the morning. I am not sure if this is the prozac or just my crappy life dealing me another way I can't cope : Has anyone had extreme sleepiness while taking it? I mean I am glad I am able to sleep and not think about anything. that is one of the reasons i went on it (I haven't been on it long enough for the actual effects of the medication to kick in, just the side effects, but whatever, it is good to sleep without thinking about it), bu8t then again one of the reasons I am taking it is so that I don't feel inclined to hide under my covers all day. and now I can't hardly wake up in the morning. is this normal? is this what this stuff does?

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

#2 of 5 Old 03-18-2008, 11:39 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have never been on Prozac, but Paxil (another SSRI) did something similar to me when I first started taking it. I would be so tired, I was scared I'd fall aleep while driving. After a few weeks that seemed to subside, but it did continue to make me feel sluggish and lethargic in the long term, so I ultimately went off it.

Perhaps you could start with a lower dose and see if you feel less tired on it? Can you take it at night?

Leeann, mama to 3*magic*kids: DD 1/03 DD 9/04 DS 8/06
#3 of 5 Old 03-18-2008, 11:42 PM

I was on Prozac. I was always tired. Not to the point you are experiencing, but I always always needed an afternoon nap (at least 2 hours!!!) and I couldn't stay up past 10:30 p.m. Since I'd been on SSRIs for so long, I thought this was just what I was like (needing a lot more sleep than most people). However, since being off meds (9 months now), i have so much more energy. Never nap. So yes, Prozac definitely made me tired.
#4 of 5 Old 03-19-2008, 01:02 AM - Thread Starter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I do take it at night. I was hoping I could sleep it off. but nope. I can barely wake up in the morning, and then feel weak and sluggish all day. could really use a nap in the afternoon but that is not an option, and am usually ready for bed by 10PM. crazy.

Maybe that is really how they work. they just make you so drowsey that you just don't care any more. "could fight him some more .. but i think I would rather sleep . . . could kill myself . . if I had the energy and motivation but I don't . . . . " nice

The truest answer to violence is love. The truest answer to death is life. The only prevention for violence is for the heart to have no violence within it.  We cannot prevent evil through any system devised by mankind. But we can grapple with evil and defeat it, but only with love—real love.

#5 of 5 Old 03-19-2008, 01:09 AM

Whoosh, I even take my Zoloft at night.... but I remember excessive thirst when first starting prozac...it was horrible!!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page