xanax vs klonopin and PMDD - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 03-25-2008, 10:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I only have a moment but I have been taking xanax for about a year. I take .5 mgs as needed and most often in the evening or night so I sleep without midnight panic attacks. Well I have been taking it more often because of what I think may be PMDD. My whole life of viscious pms seems to be more severe in the past 3+ years. I am just tired of the xanax making me tired and I am afraid of addiction- tho I don't really care for how it makes me feel- just more freakin tired which is a main problem with me anyway. I have high anxiety then a crash of tiredness. Oh I am just not myself and it has been tooooo long. I was thinking of trying klonopin as an alternative to xanax. I have spent the last 3 yrs trying a whole slew of antidepressives and I think I just have developed crazy anxiety..maybe due to my ADD personality that has never been diagnosed. I spin in circles and get so frustrated with what I cannot seem to get done I throw myself into an anxiety attack. I just do not know what to do. I so want to see a doc but just cannot until we get our tax return and have any money at all. I am about a week from my period and I feel like I can barely even function. I am bouncing between being exhausted and angry so I feel like I cannot even be around my beautiful family and it is breaking my heart. I am just trying to do what I can to have them be OK wiithout having to deal with me because I feel so weepy and volatile. This is the worst it has ever been but is getting worse and worse every month right now. I also know I have horrid endomitriosis and maybe that is making me feel so bad too. I just feel like I am a mess and until the past few years I have always been so happy and free and positive and energetic. I feel ruined and worthless and I really just don't know what to do.
Does anyone think klonopin might manage my anxiety a little better without making me so damn tired??? Any advice would help. Really. Anything
#2 of 6 Old 03-26-2008, 12:05 AM

Well, the halflife of klonopin is about 35 hours while the halflife of xanax is around 12 hours, so it sounds like klonopin would make things worse.

Oxazepam can have the shortest half-life of the benzos (as short as 4 hours in some people), if you feel you should stick with a benzo.

The benzo's are meant to be used short-term. A year of use is too long, and physical dependence has probably developed. That will make it hard to switch to something else. Maybe the best thing to do is to try to cut the dose and see how you feel?
#3 of 6 Old 03-26-2008, 08:57 AM - Thread Starter

I guess I am looking for a solution to anxiety that will not knock me out. I think over the past few years I have mistakenly been diagnosed with depression and really my issue is anxiety. So xanax works and the dose has been very low until very recently. I have to figure out a way to not spin out and end up panicky. But I don't like taking a pill that virtually puts me to sleep. I am really noticing extreme changes right before my period and that was why I mentioned pmdd. I also have ptsd which is why I have felt like depression was my battle. I am starting to think not so much.
I have also gained so much weight the past year or two and that may be what makes me so tired....
Has anyone taken klonopin and had experience with whether it has the same sedation effect of xanax?
#4 of 6 Old 05-04-2008, 11:42 PM

Hi Chanda,

I don't know too much about anti anxiety meds, but have you looked into getting your progesterone levels checked, since it's so hormonally related? Maybe trying progesterone cream?

This is obviously more of a long term fix... I hope you find something to take care of the anxiety now.

mumma to sweet 7 year old girl
and darling 2 year old guy

#5 of 6 Old 05-05-2008, 09:17 AM

as far as anti-depressants go, have you tried Lexapro? It's also good for Generalized Anxiety Disorder. It worked well for me, but after about 7 months started making me tired, much like you are.

I was also on Ativan, as needed .5mg. Which I don't have to take much since working up to 100mgs of a mood stabilizer (Lamictal)

Have you had your thyroid tested?

~Autumn~   Mama to whistling.gif (2001) and hearts.gif(2005) partners.gif madly in love since '99 
#6 of 6 Old 05-05-2008, 10:09 PM

I take Lexapro and I also have a scrip for klonopin. Since the Lexapro really kicked in I have not had very many issues with my anxiety. I'm pregnant so wouldn't take the klonopin right now anyway, BUT I don't feel like I need it any more with the Lexapro.

Hope you can find something that helps! Oh, and I have heard mixed things but in the past when I have personally had to take a klonopin for an anxiety attack (I only took it when needed rather than every day) it didn't make me feel funny or too tired.

HTH.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page