Natural Anxiety relief... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 13 Old 05-11-2008, 11:17 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have been suffering from severe anxiety for the last two weeks. I went to the Dr. and he gave me a prescription but when I asked my dd's Ped he said he didn't suggest taking it because it is an L3. I am desperate for natural ways to tone down my anxiety. Can anyone help me?

Thanks,
Amy

Amy praying.gifbfinfant.gifslinggirl.gif familybed2.gif saynovax.gifsewmachine.gif crochetsmilie.gifWAHM to energy.gifElle 3/2/2004, joy.gifMeadow 12/02/2006, bouncy.gifAzaliah 4/09/2009, and baby.gif Olive 09/23/2011. I have been partners.gif married to my husband Bill since 2/22/03.....

#2 of 13 Old 05-11-2008, 01:14 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
What med was it? I have taken zoloft while nursing two kids and while pregnant with one. No doctor had any issue with it whatsoever. I can't imagine why your ped would have a problem.

Check Kellymom or Dr. Hale's website for more info on safe meds while nursing.

SSRI's are very safe while nursing, you have several options there. Zoloft worked GREAT for my anxiety and depression. Good luck!

Mom to two beautiful boys, now in school to be a therapist and help other women with PPD.  

#3 of 13 Old 05-11-2008, 01:23 PM

Rescue remedy

Herbs; such as chamomile, oatstraw, holy basil, motherwort, passionflower ( I drink this in tea form almost daily)

Relaxation techniques; meditation, deep breathing, yoga...

Cognitive behavioral therapy; put yourself in the situation that is making you fearful and learn to rationalize that there's nothing to fear.

Anxiety sucks. I'm sorry you are feeling this way. These are the things that work for me. I had severe panic attacks for 6 months and have lessened my anxiety to mellow and haven't had an attack for 6 months!! Yay! You can heal! I also have some xanax for emergency purposes, have only taken one, but just knowing it's there for just in case makes me feel better.

*Liz* : mountain mama to DS 12/04
#4 of 13 Old 05-13-2008, 12:17 PM

I had a consultation with a reproductive psychiatrist a few weeks ago (at The Mass General Hospital Center for Women's Mental Health) and she said they were actually going to be classifying Zoloft (and Lexapro) as L2s in the near future.

It's really a case where you and your health care providers need to work out the risks and benefits. I've had good results with Zoloft, with Rescue Remedy for breakthrough anxiety.

Lavender oil helps, too - I melt a tealight in my tart burner and add a couple of drops to the melted wax. It makes my house smell great and calms me right down.
#5 of 13 Old 05-22-2008, 02:53 PM

Fish oil and tai chi
#6 of 13 Old 05-22-2008, 10:10 PM

Would you consider altering your diet a lot? I would completely eliminate all sugar, sugar alternatives (splenda, honey, maple syrup, etc), fruit, fruit juices, raw veggies (for a little while), chocolate, sodas, nightshades (tomato, potato, eggplant), dairy, refined flour products and excess oils.

Instead, a diet consisting of whole grains, cooked veggies, beans and sea vegetables will help.

If interested, you can look up information on macrobiotics.

Good luck!
#7 of 13 Old 05-23-2008, 01:28 PM

I used to have horrible anxiety too. Magnesium citrate is very calming (and safe!). A great supplement is NOW True Calm. It is an amino acid blend. I took it after I weaned my son so I am not sure about BFing compatibilty. Also eating a clean diet with lots of protein helped balace my brain.

The book The Mood Cure is very helpful too. I wish I read it as soon as I started having aniety issues.

s
Jen

homebirth.jpg<>< Mama to DS, DD, and a new baby girl 4/1! homeschool.gifmdcblog5.gif

#8 of 13 Old 05-23-2008, 01:33 PM

According to Dr. Hale, Zoloft has BEEN L2 for a while. At least in my book it is, don't know which edition I have.

Mom to two beautiful boys, now in school to be a therapist and help other women with PPD.  

#9 of 13 Old 07-06-2008, 03:10 PM

My Naturopath recommended I take the supplement
L-Theanine.

The great thing about this supplement is that it calms your mind, but doesn't make you loopy or groggy...little or no side effects and non-habit forming.

I take a 200mg capsule, and I will take another if I feel the need to. I can actaully "feel it" working almost like a prescription med.

It is a bit on the expensive side, but waaaaay worth it for me.
By the way...it also promotes a fitful sleep. I think there is also a supplement called theanine, but make sure you get
L-Theanine. I also use EFT (Emotional Freedom Technique) to
dail down my anxiety.
#10 of 13 Old 07-06-2008, 04:06 PM

GABA is the chemical the Benzos (ativan, valium, xanax etc.) work on. You can buy it as a supplement by itself or in combination with some others like B-6.

Speaking of B-6, how is your B intake? B vitamins are the feel-good, relaxers, yet energy producing vitamins. They also help process sugars and regulate blood sugar, so if that's a factor they'd help. Don't overdo it though, they do have toxic levels, if you're not still taking a pre-natal, you could safely do a B-100 daily (assuming you're not getting any other b's), otherwise a b-50 would be better.

Rescue remedy, or another of the Bach floral essences that match your mood would be safe

Calm's forte is a homeopathic remedy that might help.

I 2nd the Mood Cure, and the suggestion of eliminating all refined sugars and carbohydrates from your diet. You likely are craving them because you're nursing, but if you're having anxiety they are not your friend.

How are you sleeping? Melatonin has been studied in infants as young as 6 months and has been found safe. Sufficient sleep alone can do wonders and 2mg is all I need to fall asleep.

Lastly, a valium or an ativan every now and again isn't going to harm the baby. Your baby needs a healthy mom, if you're really on edge, you need to take care of yourself. You might not want to do it daily, but if you really need to, it's okay.
#11 of 13 Old 07-09-2008, 01:02 AM

I nursed on a seemingly terrifying cocktail of meds for a severe case of PPD/OCD. The only thing I had to do was pump my morning milk, and that allowed me to take the ativan, and ambien. I took the smallest amount I could.
Also, have you looked into 5-htp? If you aren't pregnant, it is great. I really like it, although I am not sure about BF on it.
#12 of 13 Old 07-09-2008, 01:03 AM

OH! I forgot to mention despite that cocktail of meds, my daughter is happy and very bright! All is well, despite my overwhelming fears at that time that it would ruin her.
#13 of 13 Old 07-10-2008, 02:03 PM

I second the recommendation for EFT. It's free and really very easy to learn, no side effects and combines safely with all other methods and meds/supplements. There's a free download at emofree.com (the stack of pages actually makes it seem more complicated than it really is, just take out the pages that give the basic method and start with that).

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page